Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JGRaider-What I have is common knowledge of the subject -- available to anyone willing to educate themselves instead of spouting assumptions. I spent more than a quarter-century depending on optical gear for our daily bread and learned to judge not on brand or price but on performance and value.

But before I am considered partial to one brand:

My little 7mm Bullberry Contender carbine has worn an assortment of glass, as have my other rifles. So I am not prejudiced when it comes to optics and base my choices on experience and facts, not opinions or assumptions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/BobbyTomek/grayfox-2-txt-LOWREZ.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/BobbyTomek/coyote-TXT-LOWREZ-Hdy120SSP-nov2011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/BobbyTomek/piggie-7mm-8-24-12.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/BobbyTomek/DSC_0430-buck-lowrez.jpg[/img]

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice pics! I am just curious as to how you know the vast majority of Nikon refurbs are new but returned, and not repairs.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Did I say that??? I don't think so. Go back and read what I wrote.I never, ever used any percentage or words like "vast majority." I simply provided you with the facts. Sorry if I sound a little short with my reply, but THIS is exactly how bad info proliferates.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
answer is simple

CLNY Meopta super sale

a 3.5-10x44 for $400. grin laugh cool

that may be the best value in scopes right now.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Did I say that??? I don't think so. Go back and read what I wrote.I never, ever used any percentage or words like "vast majority." I simply provided you with the facts. Sorry if I sound a little short with my reply, but THIS is exactly how bad info proliferates.

I broke two.... sent them back, and received different 'refurbished' scopes of the same make/model. Neither of them could pass for acceptable. The second time this happened I called them.... I was told I received a 'refurbished' unit that had been sent in for repair, looked over, and was deemed 'ok for refurbished sale'. Meaning: it didn't work for someone else so they sent it back. We decided it was fine, so we gave it to you instead of repairing/replacing the one you claim was broken. Or, we'll sell it to some sucker on Natchez.....

Nevermind.... you lost me at Bullberry....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dave-Yes, that is indeed the steal of the year in optics (I have 2 en route!). Meopta's optics are among the most under-appreciated of all glass here in the US. But they are built like a tank and offer a tremendous value for the monetary outlay. THe Meopro line is nice, but the Meostar is downright impressive. During the winter, we were using a 4-12x40/#4 Meostar on a 23" 25-35 Contender to rid the feeders of corn-robbing raccoons using moonlight as the only illumination. We later added a feeder light, and that made things even easier.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
THIS is exactly how bad info proliferates.

Studio Photo Session scope failures....

Bullberry....

Feeders....

THIS.... is exactly how bad info proliferates!

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice Pictures! Love that little 7mm Carbine! Especially the one sitting on top of the black pig.

Last edited by jimmyp; 05/13/14.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Nikon needs to stick to making cameras. Meopta is the real deal....Big3 should be very nervous.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dogshooter wrote: "Studio Photo Session scope failures...."

Do you have to work hard to come up with such BS, or is assuming stuff and passing along lies just part of your daily routine?

Never, at any point, did I say that scope failed. NEVER. It was beat to hell and back, and that is why it was sent in. A cursory overview of functions showed that the basics still worked, but the objective bell -- including AO -- was compromised by being bent. I wanted it checked out and any problems that the fall may have caused fixed. But at no point in time did I ever say it failed, so stop the lying, OK?

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Bobby,

The old adage about wrestling with swine is applicable with some on this board. Although,you have had plenty of experience dealing with pigs.

Nice pics of the dead critters.

What brand of 25-35 barrel is that in the last picture. I have inherited a contender action and I think I will put together a carbine. A nice little .25 would be kind of a handy...

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Johnny Dollar- Thanks. The 25-35 is an actual TC and not a custom. It is very efficient and has absolutely minimal felt recoil. LVR will get a 100 grain BT moving along at a bit over 2600 fps, and I used that load to take a double on bobcats at 270 and 274 yards. Bullet performance was perfect, and there was no pelt damage to speak of. I am currently running the 80 grain Barnes TTSX ahead of a charge of LVR and getting exceptional accuracy. ANd this particular Barnes does open as advertised (I can't say that about all of them). Three-shot, 200 yard groups always hover right around an inch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Nice pair of kitties!
Do you use 25-35 factory brass or do you re-size 30-30 brass?
Give our current state of brass availability, I really like the fact that the 25-35 brass can be made from a common caliber like the 30-30.
That and it's ol'timey cool!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use both 25-35 brass and reformed 30-30. The 30-30 brass has more internal capacity, and most loads in it require a slight powder adjustment to maintain the same velocity/POI as the 25-35 brass. But it's usually only a half-grain or so difference.

We have twin boys (they are 10) who are hankering to use the 117 RNs on a hog or 2 once school is out. They have a short range setup in mind and want to see how those perform out to 100 yards or so. (Guess I will need to round some up as I have yet to order any for them.)

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Bobby,
Let me check my stash for some 117gr RN's. I have a lot of old, partial boxes and I think I might have some. Roy Weatherby liked 'em so the boys are in good company.

Kaywoodie
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,617
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.