Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
First of all, a disclaimer, I've never been in on the kill of a brown bear. So, I speak with zero practical expertise as to what might be the best caliber, bullet weight, etc. However, I did spend a period of my youth around the big bears, slogging up salmon streams and often bumping into them at very close quarters. If someone has never been to Alaska, and seen brownies in the wild, it can be difficult to get your mind around how really, really big they can be. And how incredibly fast they can cover lots of ground. I've been in situations where a 44 magnum revolver, was all that was available for protection. Let me say, that nothing can make you feel more insignicant and vulnerable than having a stare down with bruno at close range with only a handgun. A big handgun can sound pretty good on paper, but man oh man those bears can be really big. For gosh sakes, the small ones are big. And did I say, they are very, very fast when they put their minds to it. Some thoughtful guys I knew a long time ago carried Rem. 760's stoked with 180 grain partitions. You can send a lot of lead pretty quickly with those pumps and get back on target quickly with the relative light recoil as compared to the big magnum bolt actions.
So a few years back, when the opportunity arose to fish in grizzly country in Canada, I picked up a 7600 and stoked it with partitions. Never used it, so don't know how effective it would be, but I FELT, with the rifle and bear spray I was pretty well prepared. And a handgun was not an option in Canada. If I were going to Alaska, I would have all three, rifle, handgun and spray. Try to have the rifle close by whenever possible and save the handgun for those times when a rifle is just totally impractical. The big bears are magnificent creatures. It is a thrilling experience to see them in the wild. Use your noodle, give them plenty of room, stay out of brushy situations where visibility is limited and you're likely not to have any problems.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A rifle is totally impractical to use while fishing the salmon streams of Bristol Bay. The bears are awesome. A rifle would be nice to have at camp but not in the middle of the stream while wading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did the OP ever say where he was fishing?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not sure where in AK. I mentioned Bristol Bay from my experience and the obvious concentration of bears. I have no experience with black bears. My only point is that I think the threat is overblown and ruins some folks fishing experience. The flight in is infinitely more dangerous than the bear.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bonefish
A rifle is totally impractical to use while fishing the salmon streams of Bristol Bay.

Casting a line while holding a rifle in the "African Carry" position has always been difficult for me.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tjm10025
A rifle is totally impractical to use while fishing the salmon streams of Bristol Bay.

Casting a line while holding a rifle in the "African Carry" position has always been difficult for me.

Never mastered that while holding a pistol ready either myself.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A rifle is totally impractical to use while fishing the salmon streams of Bristol Bay. The bears are awesome. A rifle would be nice to have at camp but not in the middle of the stream while wading.

To each his own.

The only time I ever carried a firearm while fishing during the fourteen years I lived in AK was on a fly-in float hunt north of Dillingham. I slung my FN 06 loaded with 180 gr Nosler Partitions over my shoulder and it wasn't a problem wading or casting. It just takes a little bit of getting used to. smile

I got past past my bearanoia early on and to be honest I was more worried about startling a moose and getting stomped to death than having a bear attack.

Just this past summer I went to Idaho fishing and had my first moose "encounter". My buddy an I were wading in the river when a mama moose and her calf came down to get a drink. My buddy's dog got in between mama and her baby and she started stomping, charging, pawing and holy schit she was mean. Mama moose was every bit as dangerous and deadly as a bear.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FoxtonGundogs
I am wondering all the people who are recommending hand guns, how man have actually faced a bear charge with one? In the late 70s My uncle a Provincial Conservation Officer was on a bear complaint. A calf had been killed by a bear and partly consumed. As they approached the site a medium size Black Bear charged them at about 30 Yds with no bluff intended. We are talking a man who was raise and worked in the bush all his life and I can attest from other experiences he had ice water in his veins. He Pulled his 44mag and emptied 5 hot loaded 300 gr. cast bears toppers into the bear. It died with it front paw on my uncle's boot when the rancher put a 358 Win. bullet thru its spine. From that time on he never relied on a handgun for bear defence again, and neither would I especially not for Big G bears or AB Bears.

And I wonder how many people who question the terminal effectiveness of a properly loaded handgun have ever actually used handguns to hunt big game. Seems the ones who do the questioning have little to no experience with them. I was forced to use a revolver to stop a grizzly bear that came in on our moose kill. They work if you do your part.

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the OP:

I used to live in Alaska (2-1/2 years) and am trying to go back.

Those who say your mind is your first line of defense is spot on. It will keep you out of a place you wish you hadn't got into. To many people have the brass gonad philosophy "I have a gun so I can do as I please. I am invinceable". That gets people killed. Avoidance keeps you from becoming a statistic.

Of the two options you offered put me in the rifle catagory. My ideal bush gun is a M1 Garand. My reasoning is this:
1. Battle proven design. It kept our GI's alive and can do the same thing in the bush.
2. A .30/06 loaded with 200 gr. bullets will take down any thing on this planet.

If you don't like the 24" barrel a competent gunsmith can shorten it for you. You are not going for accuracy here just something that will keep you from being cycled through a bears digestive tract.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a mama moose and calf scare me pretty badly. Those things are huge. Never been close to a bull moose. Am sure is more huge.

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,022
Posts18,500,450
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.