Oh well.

[Linked Image]

Have Dog

Will Travel

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Eagle
I was not really talking about bullet diameter, Rancho, I was mainly talking about energy. You know, mass multiplied by the square of the speed.

Prairie Goat, what neither you nor Ranco seems to realize is that I am not try to knock either of the 7mms I previously mentioned. I love them both and think they are fantastic wonderful rounds and, as I have said before, know that they'll drop elk. And to be entirely honest, I have seen little to no evidence that a 308 or 270 drops elk any better than either of the 7mms mentioned. Yes I've seen messed kills with all of them, probably the most with the 7mm08, but that could be from any number of variables. But as I said before, I am overly cautious and paranoid when it comes to my ammunition and I simply have set some limits. Is that really such a sin?

Then say energy, instead of "smaller".

Like muledeer pointed out, you're not going to find much difference in perfomance in this class of cartridges, even way out past 200 (eeek!) yards.

Your sin, if you insist calling it that, is using your caution to make an assumption, or even an absolute judgement, when you shouldn't be.

And in your case, I want to bring to your attention the words of a wise man - bullets matter more than headstamps.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave
Thought my 7mm08 was too much gun.... grin

So I took the 243ai.

Oh well.

[Linked Image]

It jumped up and ran off after that picture.. Be honest, now.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a boner in hand and a gleam in his eye, 'slave can make the dead undead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never took a step. Honest.
High shoulder.

I got the power, WT. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, yes you do.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by White_Eagle
Say what you will Rancho, I don't care what your opinions about my opinions are. But to clarify myself, I did not say that a 7mm08 could not kill elk at longer distances. I've heard of and seen people drop elk and moose at much longer distances than 200 yards with this round. But the reason for my opinion is this; I am extremely respectful of the animals I hunt, and therefore I am extremely (you may even say overly) cautious about the shot I take and the rounds and types of bullets I use. There are two reasons I hunt. The first reason is so that I my eat meat from an animal that lived the way an animal should live, ate what an animal should eat, and died as quick, fear free, and pain free a death as could possibly provide, instead of waiting in terror at a slaughter house. The second reason is so that proper populations can be maintained so that they can continue living proper and healthy lives. And out of my respect of these animals and my striving to provide them with clean and proper deaths, I simply refuse to hunt animals the size of elk or larger with any thing smaller than a .308 or .270, not that a smaller round like the 7mm08 or 7x57 Mauser won't get the job done properly, especially with premium ammunition, but I just like to be absolutely confident that what I am shooting will provide the clean and quick kills I desire. Call me paranoid if you like, because I probably am. I also refuse, no matter how large my gun is, to take a shot unless I know I can make it and like to keep my shots at as short distances as possible. If I have doubts or worries as to whether I can make that shot or not then I will simply not take it. Now if you see my reasons to be absurd, dumb, badly thought out, or lacking, then feel free to insult, criticize or demean. Because I really don't give a d@mn.

well bless your heart!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BuzzH and others,

How was that 140 grain Accubond for meat damage? Did it bloodshot a lot or not bad? My wife has a 7mm-08 and when she first got it I loaded up some 139 grain Hornady Interlocks. She shot a small whitetail buck quartered away, from the shoulder blade clear back to the ham was bloodshot. After that I loaded up some 162 interlock boatails, she hasn't killed anything with those as I can't get her to put her 300WSM down, Its her lucky rifle. I might have to start hunting with her LIL Seven. It is a nice Remington Model Seven SS. With a 2-7 Leupy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've not seen any excessive meat damage with the accubonds at all, either the 140 or 160 grain in .284.

Here is the "damage" from the cow I shot with the 140's...

Entrance side:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Exit side:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BuzzH; 05/17/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Buzz,

looks like a solid performer all around.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BuzzH

My conclusion is that the 7-08 is a very capable choice for elk.

I've killed many elk with the 30/06 and 338 and they work great as well. But, for those thinking the 7-08 is marginal for elk, you need to take perfect shots, you have to be within 200 yards, etc. demonstrates to me that they havent seen it used much on elk.

Nice animals in those pics Buzz. I agree.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It would be difficult to choose four cartridges more similar in general performance on big game than the .270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, 7x57 Mauser and .308 Winchester.
This statement pretty well sums it up. The rest of this thread has turned into an absurd pizzing match.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Buzz, very cool on your dad's pre-64. Those old rifles just seem to be 'lucky.'

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can't get within 300 yard of elk, then you need to work on your hunting skills. I think your rifle is fine - get in shape and enjoy your hunt.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Last I heard, a few years ago, my friend John Haviland's sons had killed over 30 elk with the 7mm-08, using various bullets in the 140-grain class, at ranges out to 400 yards. They've never had a problem, and the elk include everything from cows to mature bulls.

Debating the use of the 7mm-08 on elk is a lot like debating the use of the .270. Somebody I know who's killed a similar number of elk (including some big bulls) with the .270 once said: "If you can shoot, the .270 is an elk rifle. If you can't, it isn't."

The same applies to the 7mm-08.

Re-read this whole thread,which was a good one.

This seems to sum things up nicely.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Several gunwriters for Wolfe Publications - all westerners with lots of experience - use the 7mm-08 for big game, including elk. One, John Haviland, posted a picture of his son with a bull elk he took with a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08, the old style rifle with 18-1/2" barrel. If you place your shot well and limit your shooting distance, why not?

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
From earlier in the thread, it sounds like he has more experience than just the one:

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Last I heard, a few years ago, my friend John Haviland's sons had killed over 30 elk with the 7mm-08, using various bullets in the 140-grain class, at ranges out to 400 yards. They've never had a problem, and the elk include everything from cows to mature bulls.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A bullet from a piece of galvanized pipe will kill an elk, so will a 22 LR, but there are far better cartridges. Not every shot is perfect, and smaller the cartridge, the less room for error. . The 30-30 has killed thousands of elk, but there are many cartridges far better, as there are many better than a 7mm-08. Just my 02, coming up on my 56th elk season.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would say under "optimal" conditions that is enough gun� but I can't remember the last elk I killed under optimal "conditions". They are big animals and they can take lead like it's nothing and can keep going for miles. I started out elk hunting in 1982 with a .270 Win, then moved to a 7mm Rem Mag, then to a 300 Win Mag, and the past few years I've been using a .338 win mag. To be honest I can't tell you the 338 Win Mag has any better record with me than the .270, I just know that when I have an odd angled shot, or a heavy cross wind, etc. that I have a better chance of making it to the boiler room with a 250g .338 bullet rather than a 150g .270 bullet� I killed two cows last Nov. with the .338, neither took a step after being hit� both were btwn 200 and 300 yds. Then two days later my son and I tag teamed a bull at around 200 yds and after 3 good hits with his .300 Win mag, I had to put two more from my .338 in it to put it down for good� all 5 shots were lethal, just not enough to anchor him. No two elk die the same. Give yourself the best shot you can, carry the heaviest caliber you can shoot comfortably and tote around the mountains� the elk deserve to die quickly and humanely, IMHO. So, in summary, if it were me, I'd take a gun with a bit more knock down power.

God Bless America!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by redfoxx
To be honest I can't tell you the 338 Win Mag has any better record with me than the .270....

Thanks for being honest.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.