Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am not afraid of deer. I still use Corlokt or Hornady to reload. I have never had a deer stompel me after I shot it.

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by MT2000
So would a 180 gr AB work fine on deer, or would it over penetrate without doing much damage?
At'06 velocities it will go through and probably leave a nickel size exit hole.

I personally stopped using them as they are kind of tuff for deer. Although, evidently from stories of blow ups they maybe get some white tips carelessly installed onto ballistic tip bullets?

I like Federal blue box which are really Speer hotcor, or federal Fusions.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Did these 160 AB's "blow up"?

Originally Posted by JGRaider

Here's the bullets and data for those who care:

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

These were the only 5 bullets recovered. The rest were passthroughs. The 160's were sizzling along pretty good at 3100+ at the muzzle. Combine that with impact at 100-140 yards, smashing through shoulders, etc. I was still a bit surprised that the bullet recovered from the zebra lost so much weight. Didn't really matter though, because the animals only ran from 0-65 yards are so before falling over.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
there is a reason they earned the nickname "accubomb"

Yes there is. Its called idiots on the internet..

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've shot 2 elk with them and both blew up. One came apart and I later found the core in the heart. The meat waste was tremendous on both of them. My partners told me to not bring them to camp again.

You were complaining about blood shot meat when you shot animals in the shoulders. What did you think would happen?

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd stick with the 165 BT.

K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've seen a lot of critters (mostly deer & elk) fall to the 180gr Accubond from a 300WM. I've yet to see one that didn't perform excellent... close range to long range. Haven't experienced them lacking penetration and have most definitely never seen one "blow up".

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have shot deer as close as 20 yards with the 165 AB out of a 300 RUM and it worked great. Never had one "explode", but I have never had any bullet "explode". I have also never had a deer stop the above combo, always golfball sized exits and DRT performance.

W
W
I'd prefer Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, but he AccuBond will still get the job done in spades.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have never shot a deer with the 180 AB but I have killed a couple of elk with them from a 300 ultra and a 300 Win mag neither bullet exploded and both elk died very quickly !

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Meat doe with Nosler 180 gr AB from my 300 RUM. Bullet was in and out not a lot of meat damage because i don't eat the lungs.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

These were the only 5 bullets recovered. The rest were passthroughs. The 160's were sizzling along pretty good at 3100+ at the muzzle. Combine that with impact at 100-140 yards, smashing through shoulders, etc. I was still a bit surprised that the bullet recovered from the zebra lost so much weight. Didn't really matter though, because the animals only ran from 0-65 yards are so before falling over.

JG,

Reading this post, I was going to cross reference your recent Safari.

Glad you showed up and saved me the trouble.

It's hard to argue with success.

WIth my .300 WM, I use 180 NBT's and 180 NAB's. These were the earlier NBT's and they are pretty expansive. I like that combo, because those two bullets have the same BC and about the same POI. I can use my turret with either one. The NBT is slightly more accurate than the NAB, both are pretty good.

JB has dome some work with the newer NBT's and found the jackets to be about the same thickness as NAB's. He also mentioned that the NAB jacket may get a mild annealing from the bonding process which uses heat. That may make the forward portion of the NAB jacket slightly softer.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Glad I could be of service to you guys Dirt! I too find the BT/AB relationship very intriguing, and my experience between the two mirrors yours. I've only shot one big buck lately with a 150 BT from a 7mag and it performed flawlessly, from 120 yards.

Good point in posting the bullet results from my safari here. It should alleviate any claims made by people who say AB's won't work on deer/elk sized game, when they're proven to work very, very well on similar sized game, when bullet placement is where it's supposed to be.

I'm convinced that some people do not know how bullets are designed to work on game, therefore calling them failures, poor performers, etc.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/20/14.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Deer aren't hard to kill. Just about any bullet will work. I've killed mule deer using inexpensive factory rounds. Before boned bullets became all the rage, CoreLokts were the deer killing gold standard.

Not a single head of big game is long for this world sans its heart and/or lungs. It doesn't matter what destroys either. All that matters is that one or both are destroyed. That's simple biology.

BTW, how did our North American hunting forefathers manage to kill everything on this continent with anemic cartridges such as the 7x57 & .303 British using bullets that us modern hunters believe won't work on the same species?

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SansSouci
Deer aren't hard to kill. Just about any bullet will work. I've killed mule deer using inexpensive factory rounds. Before boned bullets became all the rage, CoreLokts were the deer killing gold standard.

Not a single head of big game is long for this world sans its heart and/or lungs. It doesn't matter what destroys either. All that matters is that one or both are destroyed. That's simple biology.

BTW, how did our North American hunting forefathers manage to kill everything on this continent with anemic cartridges such as the 7x57 & .303 British using bullets that us modern hunters believe won't work on the same species?

Yeah, we know 7x57's and .303's won't kill anything... shocked

They're not hypervelocity and they don't have belted cases... cool

Bigger question, how did our forefathers kill big game with flintlocks?

Those don't even have cases, must less belts... laugh

Don't even have primers...!

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

JG,

Reading this post, I was going to cross reference your recent Safari.

Glad you showed up and saved me the trouble.

It's hard to argue with success.

WIth my .300 WM, I use 180 NBT's and 180 NAB's. These were the earlier NBT's and they are pretty expansive. I like that combo, because those two bullets have the same BC and about the same POI. I can use my turret with either one. The NBT is slightly more accurate than the NAB, both are pretty good.

JB has dome some work with the newer NBT's and found the jackets to be about the same thickness as NAB's. He also mentioned that the NAB jacket may get a mild annealing from the bonding process which uses heat. That may make the forward portion of the NAB jacket slightly softer.

DF

I have sectioned both the 180 BT and AB. The jacket is exactly the same as far as I can tell.
The 168 BT has an even heavier jacket than the 180.

Last edited by BWalker; 05/20/14.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I would guess the newer BT's and the AB's should expand about the same. The AB's, at least theoretically, should hold together better than BT's due to the bonding process.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I would guess the newer BT's and the AB's should expand about the same. The AB's, at least theoretically, should hold together better than BT's due to the bonding process.

DF

In my limited experience comparing 160 AB and 150 BT's in game, the AB does seem to hold it's stuff together a bit better (bonded obviously), and of the BT's I've recovered most seemed to have separated the lead from the jacket. I wasn't worried about it though because I believe that's the way Nosler intended it to be, and the animals died quickly.

BWalker, interesting info on jacket thickness.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I could be wrong but the Accubond is only bonded at it base or lower halve of the bullet and the top part isn't, it a BT made to act like a Partition when it hits game .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems to me it would difficult to bond just at the base. I'm not a bullet mfg. engineer, just doesn't seem like that would be easy to do. It could be fully bonded, the forward part more malleable than the rear. Just asking.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,204
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.