Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I shipped a long gun myself to the buyer's FFL (buyer's FFL was his gun club). UPS tracking shows it as delivered and signed for.

The buyer says in order for his FFL to accept the rifle, he needs a faxed copy of my FFL or drivers license. I'm hesitant to fax my DL. I have never run into this...what am I missing?

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Standard practice, and usually they want a Bill of Sale also. I'm surprised that the guy's gun club is acting as a dealer for him.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is one of those things that really pizzes me off. The receiving FDFL holder DOES NOT leagally require an FFL from the shipper. This is strickly paranoia on his part. He only needs the return address on the package to enter 'received from" in his A&D book. There is no legal requirement for the shipper to have an FFL to ship, only the receiving FFL holder. This may be standard practice to you but I don't want to ship my FFL to any Tom Dick or Harry to flash all around the country. If no return address on the package, then maybe a copy of some for of ID.

Last edited by Jkob; 05/16/14.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jkob
This is one of those things that really pizzes me off. The receiving FDFL holder DOES NOT leagally require an FFL from the shipper. This is strickly paranoia on his part. He only needs the return address on the package to enter 'received from" in his A&D book. There is no legal requirement for the shipper to have an FFL to ship, only the receiving FFL holder.

That is where the OR drivers license part comes in.....I have always had to include a copy of my DL

Double_D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The FFL that I use will accept shipment of a gun from a non FFL but requires a copy of a drivers license. I don't know the law but it seems to be standard practice.

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RememberBaker
The FFL that I use will accept shipment of a gun from a non FFL but requires a copy of a drivers license. I don't know the law but it seems to be standard practice.

Ditto. I've also had to put a copy of my DL into every package with a firearm I've shipped as well.

NRA Life Member
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, good to know. My address is on the return shipping label....for whatever that's worth. I will send a picture of my DL.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by setch
OK, good to know. My address is on the return shipping label....for whatever that's worth. I will send a picture of my DL.
you can blank out your dl #

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
DL copy provides a public reference record for the receiving FFL if the firearm turns out be stolen, illegally required, or if a question of ownership arises.

Rare, but it does happen.

The receiving FFL is covering his @ss if there is a problem later.

Standard practice with interstate sales without a sending FFL.

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Greyghost
I'm surprised that the guy's gun club is acting as a dealer for him.

Phil

Me to

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would think that the receiving FFL would need the persons information to enter in his record book and show who he acquired the firearm from and who it was sold to when it is sold or transferred.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use couple of different FFL holders and they both require that the individual include a copy of DL with firearm I am buying. This is to cover their butts if any problems arise down the road.

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dapperdon
I would think that the receiving FFL would need the persons information to enter in his record book...

That's all it is. The receiving FFL just needs the name and address off of the drivers license so he can enter that information into his acquisition and disposition book. He can throw the copy of your DL away after he does that if he wants to.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2 pages and no response from Bricktop? Is the brutha dead?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Please don't awake a sleeping @@@@@@@

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chappy410
I use couple of different FFL holders and they both require that the individual include a copy of DL with firearm I am buying. This is to cover their butts if any problems arise down the road.

Do those FFLs let the shipper know that they need to provide the DL upfront? If this is a requirement, I would have expected the buyer to let me know prior to shipping. It seems to have all worked out. I guess my lesson-learned is to ask the receiving FFL if they need that copy before I ship.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no legal requirement to provide a copy of your DL to the receiving FFL. That is a business practice some FFLs have adopted, and it is not binding upon you. You have completed your part of the deal; it's up to the buyer to complete the transfer.

If you feel compelled to send a copy (I would not), black out everything on the photocopy but your name and address - photo, DOB, DL#, issue and expiration dates, signature, etc.

George

Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If I trade a gun at a local gun shop I have to show my driver license to prove who I am so why would'nt an out of state FFL not want the same thing.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This is exactly the reason why there is so many problems shipping a rifle. Too many paranoid people out there!

If I sell a rifle;

1 - I need/require a signed copy of purchasers FFL dealer License that he/she plans on using. Without it sell will not take place. Copy is put inside box with rifle and that is that!

And in return, I have no qualms on providing that FFL with a copy of Bill of Sale, and a copy of my D/L!

2 - If I were to purchase a rifle, the FFL I use requires the same, he has no qualms on providing a signed copy of his FFL, and he won't complete sale unless he has a copy of a Bill of Sale, and copy of purchasers D/L!

I've never had any problems doing it this way, and this is the way I will continue to do it! If any one on either end is too paranoid to work with the other, sale won't take place!

I've had more than a couple rifles opened up and repackaged on shipping, whether the copy of FFL license helped or not, I have no idea, but shipments were always completed without damage. So this is the way I will continue to do it.

I've found the best way is to have the FFL's involved talk to the other party over the phone in advance. If theres a problem sale don't happen!

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.