Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I really like the stock the way it is except for the [bleep] warped fore arm ..
Don't have to use high rings on my RAR like I do on my 84M..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I actually like shooting the one I bought for my son, as much as most other stuff I have. I dithered over the flimsy foream before I bought his, but his was straight, and flex a non-issue. You could paint them glitter purple and I'd like them more than a savage. LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I see the Ruger American as an excellent truck gun. If the rifle gets stolen, you're not out much.

If your gun gets stolen outta your truck here, you get charged and convicted, you lose all your guns and are disqualified from ever owning another one!

You'd be out lots in that case.

Pretty archaic views on gun ownership here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger tries to make a Tikka T3... Where are the Ruger American haters? Man the Tikka T3 sure gets it. To be honest I have handled a few and I am not impressed. Plastic, plastic etc. That seems to the whine about the Tikka. I have not shot one so.. Are they as accurate as a Tikka?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hh4whiskey - "offer the 6.5 punkmore and ignore the 7-08." Pretty much what I wrote in my email to Mike Fiefer thru the Ruger web-site. Like I need to feed another caliber...
Homesteader

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Ruger tries to make a Tikka T3... Where are the Ruger American haters? Man the Tikka T3 sure gets it. To be honest I have handled a few and I am not impressed. Plastic, plastic etc. That seems to the whine about the Tikka. I have not shot one so.. Are they as accurate as a Tikka?

Just as if not more accurate according to a few friends that have shot them a bunch.

Less expensive by a goodly margin than a Tikka, they actually come in SHORT ACTION, something that seems to baffle Tikka.

I'd not take a RAR on a 'serious' hunt, but then I'd not take a Tikka on one either. Yard/play guns, so why drop twice the money on a Long action Tikka with a [bleep] up twist.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I see the Ruger American as an excellent truck gun. If the rifle gets stolen, you're not out much.

If your gun gets stolen outta your truck here, you get charged and convicted, you lose all your guns and are disqualified from ever owning another one!

You'd be out lots in that case.

Pretty archaic views on gun ownership here.

Billy loves in Montana, not Australia. I'm betting almost every truck in his locale contains at least one gun.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang, just when I'd finally quit buying more guns, again!

bobnob17: There's room for one more in West Virginia. Have to bring your own 'roos though.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few observations, from somebody who actually owns 3 Americans, a .308, .243 and .22 LR:

Somebody commented on the "thick" grip and forend, apparently after looking at the photo. They're pretty slim from side-to-side. The grip is 4-1/2" in circumference, which is smaller than all but a few rifles. In fact, the only rifle in my collection of a few dozen centerfires with a smaller grip circumference is a pre-WWII custom 8x57 that has a typical VERY slim German stock. The forend is 1-1/2" wide at the halfway point, and is VERY slim at the top, so you can actually grasp it rather than have it essentially lying in your hand.

The forends do sometimes contact the supposedly free-floating barrel, but not always. This is common with injection-molded stocks, which tend to warp slightly when removed from the mold. It takes a minute or two with a round rasp the fix the problem.

The magazine for the .243 and .308 and similar cartridges is 2.865" long. In my .243 this is .1" longer than a round with the 95-grain Ballistic Tip jammed into the lands, so there's some room to play with. There's even some play room with Berger Hunting VLD's, and the magazine length works perhaps a little better with the .308.

The .243 (the stainless model) just arrived and I haven't had a chance to shoot it much, but both the .308 and .22 are VERY accurate. A Black Hills target load will average a little over 1/2" for FIVE shots at 100 yards, not just three, and around 2" at 300. The .22 will put the right ammo into 1/2" at 50, again for FIVE shots, not three.

The triggers usually adjust down to 3 pounds, but on some rifles they go a little lower.

Aside from adjusting triggers and rasping any contact points in the forend, mine are out of the box.

Like prairie goat, I wish they'd put the dual butt-stock combs on the centerfire and not just the rimfire models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by smithrjd

Just as if not more accurate according to a few friends that have shot them a bunch.

Less expensive by a goodly margin than a Tikka, they actually come in SHORT ACTION, something that seems to baffle Tikka.

I'd not take a RAR on a 'serious' hunt, but then I'd not take a Tikka on one either. Yard/play guns, so why drop twice the money on a Long action Tikka with a [bleep] up twist.

+1 on every point!

For the most part, Ruger has the twist nailed on their rifles.

If I am not mistaken, Sako did build a short action Tikka, but they called it the Sako A7 and wanted a few hundred more for it than the Tikka.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And they talk about the Savage being an ugly rifle. sick

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep. Savage invented the ugly rifle.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If Savage is ugly that thing's an abomination. Ugliest rifle I've ever seen.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Then don't [bleep] it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
They'll outsell the Savage 10-to-1 . . . guaranteed.

Most don't share your taste in rifles.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Kitch
If Savage is ugly that thing's an abomination. Ugliest rifle I�ve ever seen.

Uglier than the TC Evolution?

[Linked Image]

Seriously though, Savage started the ugly revolution with the 1899. Since that point, they haven�t looked back. The Savage Axis hurts my eyes.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Does it come with spare parts? wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Like prairie goat, I wish they'd put the dual butt-stock combs on the centerfire and not just the rimfire models.

I'd also like to see a higher comb. The centerfire stock seems perfect for iron sights. And I hate those stock purses. Not a big fan of kydex tacos either. I've used pipe insulation under a length of motorcycle tube (front). Works good but smells like rubber. Bud's son uses mouse pad under one of those elastic cuffs. Both are higher speed and lower drag than those purses grin

Know of any other bubba fixes for too-low-a-comb, John? I guess I could drink more beer and add bacon-ends to my game meat to chub up my cheek?

Jason

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could try Bondo (on the stock, not your cheek).

Putty and paint'll make her what she ain't.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now if they would just offer the bolt on the correct side...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.