Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Can anyone make me a recommendation on a touch screen garmin gps which accepts a memory card so that I can add one of those topo map chips that have public / private property boundaries with landowner names on them.

I'm not looking for the fanciest features but want something easy to use for things like backtracking to my truck and I need to see the maps in the sun. Would be nice to be able to use it on roads occasionally when I'm traveling but it's not the main use; which is hunting.

I live in Canada. Not really sure if I will hunt mostly in Canada from herein or the USA but the hunt chip I'll get for whatever state I hunt in. Don't need one in Canada as most places I will hunt are crown land.

Should I get one preloaded with Canadian topo maps and then buy chips for each State I hunt? Do they come with street maps?

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Interested in this topic as well. Used to use a Rino 530HCx until I lost it on a hunt. Been looking to replace it for a few years. Given the advancement of cell phones over the last 10 years Im not sure a radio/gps combo is necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Garmin 600 series. My next gps will be a Garmin Oregon 650.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't happen to need one for big game hunting, so I have no advice other than "old school" -- which is my past and present use of map and compass technology. As mentioned, I like and prefer "old school" technology. For me, challenge and woodsman skill/ability and basic survival technique is everything, in relation to my big game hunting. But, I do wish you both the very best when trying to determine which way to best use electronic terrain navigation devices for your own hunting and/or adventure pursuits.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Garmin Oregon is a good choice.

Cell phones are great, if you have cell coverage where you hunt, and if the batteries hold out. GPS's eat batteries too, but it is a lot easier to carry spare batteries than recharge your cell in the field.

Nothing wrong with using old school methods either. But it is the 21's century and there is room for both.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I asked this same question. Some good help and a few that are anti-21st century and think you still only need a compass and map.

My buddy has an Oregon 450 and it has been awesome. Garmin is up to 600-650 series now.

I bought a Garmin 550 from Cabelas for $200 on close out since they are discontinued. Only thing I give up is ability to use Glonast satellites. Save $300.

They are pretty dang reliable- I have never had one fail me in 20 years or so. If it did fail it would simply be an inconvenience rather than a life and death matter as some would have you believe. I can carry a very detailed topo map of the whole southwest that has land ownership etc on a device the size of my small fingernail. Pretty good deal I think.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
Cell phones are great, if you have cell coverage where you hunt, and if the batteries hold out.

Phones these days have internal GPS receivers. No cell coverage needed, unless you want to make a call.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I asked this same question. Some good help and a few that are anti-21st century and think you still only need a compass and map.

My buddy has an Oregon 450 and it has been awesome. Garmin is up to 600-650 series now.

I bought a Garmin 550 from Cabelas for $200 on close out since they are discontinued. Only thing I give up is ability to use Glonast satellites. Save $300.

They are pretty dang reliable- I have never had one fail me in 20 years or so. If it did fail it would simply be an inconvenience rather than a life and death matter as some would have you believe. I can carry a very detailed topo map of the whole southwest that has land ownership etc on a device the size of my small fingernail. Pretty good deal I think.

And you should, Sir. Landownership is legal standing and also prosecutorial liability in terms of Federal jurisdiction. But yet, nothing like a United States Geographical Survey 1:75,000 quadrangle and a low maintenance Silva compass. Of course, that's "simpleton stuff" of those of us who are called "by gones" ......

Mav877

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Up here in the Arctic, I carry a map, 2 compasses, an E-trex GPS, a cell phone (limited, but sometimes useful value), and sometimes check out a SPOT from the Borough S&R department (free). I haven't used any of them for navigation in the technical sense in the 4 years I've been in Kotzebue. Have I mentioned previously that as much as I love the Arctic, it scares the hell out of me? smile

Snow machine tracks from the locals, speedometer readings, sun position, terrain memory, prevailing wind or following my own track back works pretty well, tho..... smile. Those 300 foot windmill towers just outside of town are pretty good too. Visible thru binocs from hilltops 20 miles out. Or more.

I admit, there are potential flaws.. so I pick my hunting weather....

On the other hand, moose hunting down on the Kenai lowlands in heavy cover, "lost" (vs Lost, and LOST) is just another word for comfort zone. I don't really care where I am as long as I can mark a moose kill (and get it out) with a GPS, and find the road again - which is where the compasses come in - I've had two GPS failures when I "needed" it, and one when I didn't, but it was irritating, and one compass failure over the last 40 years. Plus a lost one.

I carry a little bit of back-up.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have never had a GPS fail. I have been unable to get satellite coverage in some deep canyons but that is rare. Just used my 10 year old Etrex (forgot my new one) to find a cave that is just a hole in the otherwise flat ground from coordinates given me. Cave opening wasn't visible until I was within 50 feet of it. I wouldn't be caught without one. If you get worried about it "failing", carry a backup one. I carry about 3 sources of ignition for fire building just for the peace of mind. I always seem to get a fire going with the first source though.

I really like having the 24K maps on the GPS that lets you see the terrain features and better navigate. Compass give you a direction only. Kinda hard to get a map out in rain but my GPSs are all waterproof.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Don't happen to need one for big game hunting, so I have no advice other than "old school" -- which is my past and present use of map and compass technology. As mentioned, I like and prefer "old school" technology. For me, challenge and woodsman skill/ability and basic survival technique is everything, in relation to my big game hunting. But, I do wish you both the very best when trying to determine which way to best use electronic terrain navigation devices for your own hunting and/or adventure pursuits.

So you still use a slide rule for math problems? Or do you know what a slide rule is? Pretty sure you don't leave the basement

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kinda hard to get a map out in rain but my GPSs are all waterproof.

Apply clear contact paper to your map. Buy a 9x10 ALOKSAK or OP bag for the map. Keep it folded to your approximate location and stowed in the bag and ignore the rain.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Oregon 650T is the best touchscreen out there for hunting. My wife carries on and I carry the 62stc. We both have the ownership chip in our GPSers.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A printed map, a gps, and a compass is the best way to roll, IMO. GPS in pocket, compass around neck, and map in ziplock in front pocket of pack.

The gps with a topo map is really good for planning big course corrections, and determining what direction you want to head to get where you want to go. The compass around your neck is good for quick checks to make sure you are heading in the direction you think you are heading after terrain has your head spinning. Printed maps are good at lunch time for looking things over rather than squinting to see a map on your little gps screen. That's how I roll, and that's how my pards roll.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have never had a GPS fail. I have been unable to get satellite coverage in some deep canyons but that is rare. Just used my 10 year old Etrex (forgot my new one) to find a cave that is just a hole in the otherwise flat ground from coordinates given me. Cave opening wasn't visible until I was within 50 feet of it. I wouldn't be caught without one. If you get worried about it "failing", carry a backup one. I carry about 3 sources of ignition for fire building just for the peace of mind. I always seem to get a fire going with the first source though.

I really like having the 24K maps on the GPS that lets you see the terrain features and better navigate. Compass give you a direction only. Kinda hard to get a map out in rain but my GPSs are all waterproof.

Jeez are you ever anal, dennis.

I, on the other hand, never carry less than two compasses,often 3, whether or not the gps is along. Get a life, boy! smile My maps are plastic laminated, so they work fine in the rain. There are fire starter sources in fanny pack, main pack and first aid kit. Ditto toilet paper..... smile

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Maverick940

So you still use a slide rule for math problems? Or do you know what a slide rule is? Pretty sure you don't leave the basement

Hey, bring on that "old school"stuff. I still trust paper and pencil calculations more than calculators for my arithmetic- at least you can go back and check your work for error...Never did learn to use a slide rule. but then I'm a simple guy that never found a need for complicated mathematics.

If one mis-punches a key on the calculator or slips a place on on the slide rule, you have no record of what you did.

I was around when the first TI calculators came out. and when they got cheap enough for common use. The problem with early ones was when the battery got weak, the calculations got erratic without warning, and having been burnt I've never trusted a calculator since.

Newer is not always better or more reliable when the chit hits the fan. With the caveat of course that electronics, when working properly, do so much more faster than "old school". Possibly even more reliably. When working properly with no "garbage in".

GPS is for convenience. Map and compass for CYA. I've had GPS fail twice when I semi-needed it (of course!). And one compass failure in the last 50 years, which is why I carry 2 or 3. 2 out of 3 ain't a bad way to go. Those of you that have BTDT, know about those single-compass readings.... ("That can't be right.....!!!!") smile

If all 3 read differently,, just average the bastids out! At that point one would have nothing to lose.... smile

YMMV, as i've been "lost" (vs "Lost" and "LOST") so often it is practically a comfort zone.

If you trust implicitly to GPS, you should also probably carry a cellphone and stay in coverage so the rescue chopper can find you.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do they have an ownership chip for Tennessee?

I use a Garmin GP60 and a Garmin Oregon 550T The downfall to the Oregon is it eats up batteries in about 8 hours due to being in color I believe. the upside to the Oregon is its way easier to see when its bright out or in heavy fog when reflection is high. GPS,s are an amazing tool when backtracking or searching a grid for a lost person or a wounded animal. The topo map is priceless when navigating over unfamiliar terrain especially in the mountains. I have land owner maps on both and highly recommend the upgrade. I used a compass ever day when I was in the Army so I have some habits from those days that still serve me well like staying orientated by constantly looking back every terrain feature. If I was buying a new GPS it would be in color have Topo , land ownership and be compact. This is just my opinion.

I'm good with being a sheepdog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,241
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.