Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MikeNZ
All Reds, all .223, all one shot (but my son can shoot)
Any more questions?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Everyone knows that whitetail and mule deer are tougher than reds. laugh

Looks like a lot of fine eating. Bet there wasn't a lot of bloodshot meat.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MikeNZ
All Reds, all .223, all one shot (but my son can shoot)
Any more questions?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well sure Mike it will kill Red Deer in New Zealand but what about Whitetails in South Texas... whistle

I think it might work but only in the hands of a professional marksman...

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/pronghornboy/DSC02720_zpsb4382b08.jpg[/img]

Now admittedly these are not "South Texas" whitetails, and clearly they were taken by professional riflemen but it might work on "South Texas" whitetails. It seems to work on "South Texas" hogs ok.

[img]http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/pronghornboy/DSC02469.jpg[/img]

It also works ok on "North Wyoming" pronghorns.

[img]http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/pronghornboy/DSC02876_zpsd7e400ea.jpg[/img]

It can even get by on "South Texas" exotics.

[img]http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff431/pronghornboy/DSC02654_zpsdf74254f.jpg[/img]

But keep in mind these are NOT "South Texas" whitetails... whistle grin

I could continue to post pictures but I think you get the point. Oh yeah I forgot to mention none of these animals were "knocked down" by a .223, we shot them instead. Some did fall on the spot as chance would have it but most ran 25 yards or so, just like any animal shot properly with any other rifle.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.243 was the minimum legal in North Carolina where we hunted with rifles. My Brother hunts in Maine, and it's the same there. Probably because the fish and game guys don't consider .223 effective in the hands of John Q. Public. A .22WMR is an effective deer round if you shoot every deer between the eyes. I would have to evaluate "effective" as the killing power of the round + the skill of the shooter. For anyone I know who has ever asked me for advice, I've recommended .270 up. Most of the guys have gone after other animals like black bears up in Maine and it's been taken as sound advice. I grew up with, and still use traditional lead bullets and I killed lots of deer with a .30-06 and a 165 grain Sierra Game King on top of 48 grains of IMR 4064. My Brother has killed many more, and bear with the same in his .308 Win. If I were to use this success rate as "effective" than I would say the .223 is not. Not in ordinary hands.

To add to this. As to the phrase "knock a deer down." I shot lots of deer with a bow and watched them walk or run off, slow down and fall over. I have to say that in 19 years of hunting North Carolina and shooting about 60 deer, I knocked down better than 90% of them. I shot them high in the shoulder straight up the front leg and they all go down. I used a .30-06, a .300 Win Mag and a .300 WSM with 165 grain lead core bullets. My best friend, who hunted with me all those years used a .300 Weatherby Mag and we actually had to look for some of his deer. Some of them, you could stick your arm through... but they ran. He used the same bullets in 180 grains. It's a great mystery.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree totally with rob p......it's not about what will "kill" but about what is effective and found.

Shoot what you want even up to a 20MM cannon and sometimes they will RUN. Doesn't matter that they are "dead" , it's the run that confuses things. The smaler rounds (.22-25 caliber) will "kill" just as well as any larger round....but they don't always leave a significant blood trail.

Killing an animal is different than effectively finding that same animal. In thick brush, the "finding" is the key factor. Biger bore rifles make this easier. They aren't more "dead", ju8st easier to find.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
When it's windy what do you .223 guys shoot at deer?

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/16/14.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
trailed a lung shot doe into the Laredo brush once... bit over a 400 yard shot wiht a 338 win mag, and 210 ttsx. No shoulders aimed at or hit. Took a LONG time to find her.

Trailed a doe shot with a 6mm and TSX for about an hour same place to find her.

Have dropped lots of deer with tsx and 223 same place within sight. ANd had to trail a couple very similar to above. Found all. About the same effort.

Can tell no difference in finding deer by caliber. Can seemingly tell some difference with easier to find, and shorter runs the closer you get to 4000 fps MV.

I know that for me, if the wind blows, its just a different wind correction on the 223 than on my others... one of my longest deer pokes was irons, a bit over 550, and in a stiff norther around 22 mph according to my wind speed meter, and did a few more adjustments due to terrain affecting the wind... dead very quickly, with witnesses fwiw.

I've said it before, one of the toughest trails was NO blood for over 200 yards. Rib cage double lung doe in Laredo. 50 bmg. Go figure.

But I can't say that I"ve ever come to the conclusion that larger bullets HURT your chances any.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider

We still shoot a .223, here's a video of my sons first antelope last October near Gillette Wyoming. Listen to the wind in the video.

Jacob's First Antelope

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
W
W
No, in my opinion the smallest deer round acceptable is the .243 Win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And you also don't think an 7/08 can kill elk at 200 yards..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
[Linked Image]

LMAO!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

The last deer I shot last year the wind was blowing 30 mph steady with gusts to 40+ and the temp was down around zero. Worked fine.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rob p
.243 was the minimum legal in North Carolina where we hunted with rifles. My Brother hunts in Maine, and it's the same there. Probably because the fish and game guys don't consider .223 effective in the hands of John Q. Public. A .22WMR is an effective deer round if you shoot every deer between the eyes. I would have to evaluate "effective" as the killing power of the round + the skill of the shooter. For anyone I know who has ever asked me for advice, I've recommended .270 up. Most of the guys have gone after other animals like black bears up in Maine and it's been taken as sound advice. I grew up with, and still use traditional lead bullets and I killed lots of deer with a .30-06 and a 165 grain Sierra Game King on top of 48 grains of IMR 4064. My Brother has killed many more, and bear with the same in his .308 Win. If I were to use this success rate as "effective" than I would say the .223 is not. Not in ordinary hands.

To add to this. As to the phrase "knock a deer down." I shot lots of deer with a bow and watched them walk or run off, slow down and fall over. I have to say that in 19 years of hunting North Carolina and shooting about 60 deer, I knocked down better than 90% of them. I shot them high in the shoulder straight up the front leg and they all go down. I used a .30-06, a .300 Win Mag and a .300 WSM with 165 grain lead core bullets. My best friend, who hunted with me all those years used a .300 Weatherby Mag and we actually had to look for some of his deer. Some of them, you could stick your arm through... but they ran. He used the same bullets in 180 grains. It's a great mystery.

22 caliber centerfires are legal in Maine and North Carolina for deer. Getting your info from Don?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Would you consider a 30/30 a deer capable round?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
30-30 is OK IMO, but highly overrated. I have owned several 30-30s over the years, through trades and deals, but 2 years ago was the first time I used one to hunt deer. I ended up following a doe about 100 yards that was shot through both lungs. It did not even run flat out, just kind of skipped away. I am not used to that. Higher velocity rounds have more shock , I guess. I usually take the Black Gun (.223) out when it is bad, rainy weather. Easy to oil up. I don't ever remember a deer going more than about 30 feet with a double lung shot using a .223. Someone posted they never saw a rifle knock a deer down. As far as "Knocking a deer down", I have flipped two over backwards. One with an 8MMx54R and one with a 7x57. Depends where you hit them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every deer I've shot with a .223 has dropped in it's tracks...but they've all been high shoulder shots. I keep planning to lung shoot one but just can't make myself do it with the TSX.

If it's really windy I always make sure I'm shooting a .224 bullet. ...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never understood behind the shoulder shooters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 223 is a pretty good deer round. Just like any other cartridge...put the bullet in the right spot and the deer is done.

Josh

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The .223 with a 40gr. Sierra hollow point will kill deer, hogs and black bear DRT if you do your part. They will also penetrate 1/2 inch plate steel. 270, 7mm, 300WM will not. So much for the penetration theory. The heavier .223 bullets do not perform as well but with the right bullet choic will still kill deer as good or better with a 30-30

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Someone posted they never saw a rifle knock a deer down. As far as "Knocking a deer down", I have flipped two over backwards. One with an 8MMx54R and one with a 7x57. Depends where you hit them.

It wasn't the bullet impact that flipped them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .223 is not for everybody. If you don't have confidence in the cartridge, the rifle, or your ability to either put the bullet where it needs to go or wait for an acceptable shot angle then don't use one.
The same applies whether the target is an 80 pound doe or a 250 pound buck.

This buck was taken with my .223 at about 125 yards. My handload with a 55 grain Speer and near max charge of H335. The 200+ (field dressed) buck went maybe 25 yards. Shot placement was on the shoulder.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,121
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.