Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I work in Arizona and work with a guy from California. He wants to buy a 22 revolver from me. what are the rules, regulations to sell him this or should I just tell him to forget it. I know dealers here won't sell to non residents, but this is just my pistol, not a dealer.

Bart

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
google batf FAQ,s - it is a no-no.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
In a word.....DON'T.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he lives in Arizona now, he may qualify as a resident, so private sale could be okay. I'd check the state laws concerning residency.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 05/20/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Even if he's out of State, it CAN be done legally. You just have to go to a FFL dealer in your State, have them ship the gun to a FFL dealer in the other State, and he can pick up the gun from them. There ARE fees involved (shipping / FFL transfers, etc), so it might be cost prohibitive, but it CAN be done legally.
Of course, he would have to be a handgun license holder in his State, and I'm also not up on any kooky Kalifornia gun laws.

As far as "face to face" interstate private handgun sales, that's a BIG No-no.

I'm sure a trip to your local gunshop, and a few questions could give you a good idea of expected costs. Good luck! -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not real familiar with Calif laws, but I think residents there are required to have some sort of certificate of training to own a handgun.
Some of my family are lawbreakers because of that. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Private sale between two White men? Just sell it to him and be done with it. Consider it a dissenting blow against Federal tyranny......

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Private sale between two White men? Just sell it to him and be done with it. Consider it a dissenting blow against Federal tyranny......

It's not too smart to suggest committing a Federal felony in public

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I just did it. Let's go back to 1790 and do this transaction: nobody would give a schitt. What's changed since then?

I SHOULD be able to go down to Ace Hardware or Tractor Supply and buy a full-auto Thompson SMG over the counter with NO FedGov interference.

I see FedGov breaking EVERY law that we're supposed to obey, but two White men can't privately sell a gun between each other?? Really?? Ask yourself why our government dumps tens of thousands of full-auto weapons on other continents to people you wouldn't want living next door to you, but two White Americans are criminals if they have a private gun sale?? Perspective.....I'm getting damn grumpy as I get older.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 05/20/14.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How hard is this, really??? There are multiple wrong "facts" in this thread before it goes over 4 responses...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bart71175
I work in Arizona and work with a guy from California. He wants to buy a 22 revolver from me. what are the rules, regulations to sell him this or should I just tell him to forget it. I know dealers here won't sell to non residents, but this is just my pistol, not a dealer.

Bart

Follow your state laws...[bleep] Ca. The legislators here don't represent most people here...lies & deceit are their trademark...fuuuccckkk em

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
How hard is this, really??? There are multiple wrong "facts" in this thread before it goes over 4 responses...

The "FACTS" are that the gun laws in Ca. only affect the people that want to "legally" buy guns....."WE" are not the problem...On more than one occasion, (In front of my house) I have watched the local sheriffs deputies stop, search & "let go" local "yutes" after not only confiscating drugs...but loaded weapons out of cars...The laws here are not designed at preventing gun violence or crime...they "target the law abiding citizen" and the only goal of most of these new laws are to disarm the law abiding citizen...NOT THE CRIMINAL...New "laws" are being written weekly...I ignore them as much as possible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gonehuntin +1

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper

It's not too smart to suggest committing a Federal felony in public

Like being a white male.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bart71175

Bart

If he is not a resident of Arizona it's against Federal law for you to sell him a firearm without going thru an FFL. In the case of a handgun the FFL must be in his home state. If he is a resident of Arizona check your local laws concerning handgun transfer. Doesn't matter what's legal somewhere else or what somebody else says you should do. What happens if you sell him the handgun illegally and he gets busted with it? Do you really want to be a martyr over a revolver? If anyone else insists it's your moral duty to "do what's right" I'd suggest you provide them with his name, address, type revolver he's interested in, and the amount he's willing to pay. The moral party can then mail him one in an onion box USPS.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let's go back to 1790 and do this transaction: nobody would give a schitt. What's changed since then?
I see FedGov breaking EVERY law that we're supposed to obey, but two White men can't privately sell a gun between each other?? Really?? Ask yourself why our government dumps tens of thousands of full-auto weapons on other continents to people you wouldn't want living next door to you, but two White Americans are criminals if they have a private gun sale??

Bravo. Well said. Between any two American men period...regardless of ethnicity.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
with the disclaimer i am not an attorney, or a.t.f. agent, i believe the following to be true as i am an arizona resident.
You have the right in arizona to sell a firearm from an ARIZONA resident to another ARIZONA resident, as long as you have no reason to believe that person you are selling to is not a prohibited person such as a felon, etc.
There is no registration required, going through a FFL or anything.
The problem as you described it is he is I assume a legal california resident working in arizona. Thus it would have to comply with california rules, meaning shipped to an FFL there.
For what it's worth i wouldn't do it.
It's one of the oddities of the laws. There are plenty of swapmeets, yard sales and so on where firearms are sold and purchased. I would suspect at a lot of them people are not requiring government approved photo I.D. and a background check.
Happens all the time, until it becomes an issue.
I have been told A.T.F. is working the person to person sales from people walking around at gun shows.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/21/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An AZ FFL dealer can�t sell to a non-resident of AZ but you can sell it to him through a California FFL. The handgun must be on the list of approved handguns legal to sell in CA.

The CA FFL dealer may or may not want the gun sent to him by an FFL in AZ. It�s not a legal requirement but apparently the ATF is giving dealers a bunch of crap (gee, what�s new?) so they are double dotting their I�s and crossing t�s. So it depends on the receiving dealer what he wants to do. I�m trying to get a revolver to a guy in New Mexico and all of the dealers he�s gone through want it to come from an FFL, which is going to cost the guy another $60. So he finally found a dealer that will accept from a private individual.

I recently sold a GP100 to a guy in California and it was as easy peasy as any other transaction that the receiving FFL doesn�t muck up. He emailed me a pdf copy of his license and I shipped the revolver to him. The buyer had to wait the 10 day period or whatever they do in CA but that�s between him and the FFL dealer. Actually you don�t even need a copy of the FFL, all you need is the first 3 digits and the last 5 digits of the license number and you can check it on the ATF EZCheck website. Your legal due diligence is just to make sure the receiving dealer has a valid, current FFL.

If he knows a willing dealer near the border you can drive over and deliver the handgun personally to the dealer. Otherwise you have to ship it by UPS or Fedex, no USPS.

UPS and Fedex will tell you it has to be shipped overnight or 2nd day air but that�s not a legal requirement � but that�s an argument for another day.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I have been told A.T.F. is working the person to person sales from people walking around at gun shows.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. They supply a huge number of firearms to some of the worst and most vicious criminals on the planet (the Mexican drug cartels)...and at the same time they are policing American citizens over the private sale of a firearm between one individual and another.
Talk about gaggin' at gnats and swallowin' camels...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Who gives a F uck about the unconstitutional laws these ass hole politicians want us to follow.

It is just about beyond ridiculous that one US citizen cannot sell a gun to another US citizen without jumping through a bunch of hoops, and worrying about regulations, etc...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (257 mag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 325wsm1, 30incher, 21 invisible), 16,970 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,267
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.