Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[color:#FF0000]EIA cuts Monterey Shale oil estimate by 96%[/color]

[Linked Image]

A damned good example of why you ALWAYS remain skeptical of any claims of extraordinary energy finds or revolutionary technology improvements. They are almost guaranteed to be overblown. Or complete fabrications. Or worse, just swindles.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's always a HUGE difference between what's been found and what we can get to. But I'll have to admit, that's the biggest difference between the two I've ever seen.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cold fusion is the future. grin

Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Sweet! Can't wait to soup up a cold fusion Camaro. smile

GG: You're right, there is always a difference between what is there and what can be economically recovered. And since price and technology can change that ratio can also change.

This was more of a case where I have seen this dubious source cited as a reason why Saudi America is our future, we don't need to really think (worry?) about energy, etc. I see these wild claims cited but I never see the retraction. So I figured I'd just post one myself.

Will

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm always skeptical of anything scientists say too.

Let's hear your analysis on the Permian Basin while you busy being an energy expert.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/21/14.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my brother-n-law is trying to make a fortune in this fracking. I keep thinking one day he'll hit it big and I'll get a do nothing job in his company.

So I don't like reading this stuff.

he was telling me that with current technology, they are only getting about 16% of available oil now .

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The price of gas will be up .30 by the end of the month.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Sweet! Can't wait to soup up a cold fusion Camaro. smile

GG: You're right, there is always a difference between what is there and what can be economically recovered. And since price and technology can change that ratio can also change.

This was more of a case where I have seen this dubious source cited as a reason why Saudi America is our future, we don't need to really think (worry?) about energy, etc. I see these wild claims cited but I never see the retraction. So I figured I'd just post one myself.

Will
It kills me to see those who think we're going to drill our way to energy independence. They are the people who see these outrageous "finds/claims" and think we're really going to get all that oil. They also have NO IDEA how much oil we import.

The reality is, in the future we CAN be energy independent, but it will take a variety of energy sources and technologies. Fred Smith at FedEx has what I think is the best idea. Use oil for the things that ONLY OIL can do, and use other technologies where we're needlessly using oil. Much of the Northeast still used oil to heat homes, this is just dumb. Hybrid technologies for cars is VERY slick and viable; just needs a little growing. Several trucking companies are doing tests of trucks (in conjunction with Cummins engine) that run on natural gas and they are going well. Natural gas is cheaper and the mileage is turning out the be much the same, so there's a small savings (but that may erode as use expands). The only real issue is infrastructure. You either have to have compressors at your facilities, or you have to run to and from areas where infrastructure exists.

The energy situation in America is an extremely bright future. The only thing we lack is the desire to exploit oodles of truly viable energy sources.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
And we all know the EIA ( unlike most other alphabet agencies ) is not ideologically driven?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Federal energy authorities have slashed by 96% the estimated amount of recoverable oil buried in California's vast Monterey Shale deposits, deflating its potential as a national "black gold mine" of petroleum..

Well, lets put all our cookies in one jar and trust what the FEDERALES told us to believe rather than what independent private enterprise might have determined that would be willing to sink substantial backing into the initial findings.

I mean, Obama is REAL oil/gas friendly isn't he? wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
its all those desert turtles being saved

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps that 96% slash is a result of only using methods approved by the EPA, present and future...

Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE
Perhaps that 96% slash is a result of only using methods approved by the EPA, present and future...

Result of test wells. It was a tougher go than they had imagined.

Will

Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh, and BTW, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything as far as energy goes.

That's not my job. I get paid to put energy to work and make power not get in the pulpit and preach the gospel of whatever energy policy I happen to like.

I'm simply putting this out there as yet another example of overblown energy promises. The EIA has been one of the premier cheerleaders of the concept of US energy independence. I've seen their numbers quoted around here lots of times.

But people will believe what they like most times. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just offering up some interesting information I came across.

Will

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, that North Dakota find was a lark too.... whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have another way to do it. Save our petroleum, pump the Middle East dry! The faster we do this, the quicker they will become a non factor in the world. We can get our money back from them easy enough.

As for worries about a limited supply, I have none. Is anyone really skeptical that with 100 years we will not have super storage batter technology? Once that is achieved, cars will no longer require petrol and the demand for petroleum plummets. So..

- Pump the Middle East dry

- save ours for later

- work on batteries

- don't worry!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Yep, that North Dakota find was a lark too.... whistle

North Dakota was a godsend. Wish we had another 4 or 5 to go after. Unfortunately it looks like Monterey ain't going to be as easy.

Most likely more of it will eventually make economic sense. But at a higher price point.

Will

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Federal energy authorities have slashed by 96% the estimated amount of recoverable oil buried in California's vast Monterey Shale deposits, deflating its potential as a national "black gold mine" of petroleum..

Well, lets put all our cookies in one jar and trust what the FEDERALES told us to believe rather than what independent private enterprise might have determined that would be willing to sink substantial backing into the initial findings.

You missed the part where major oil has steered away from it. And Obama isn't nearly as against oil as you might think. Under Obama we've had the first increase in domestic oil production since 1971. Yeah his party has fought Keystone, and he has been with them. But don't confuse that for being hostile to oil, because he's not. Sure he's not as friendly as Republicans, but he's not hostile. He received more money from big oil than any of the republicans.

As for the Energy Information Agencey; clearly you just don't have a clue. They are not political appointees, and they're the most trusted and respected information source for energy in the world. They do weekly, and quarterly reports, and anytime they find they were wrong on something, they will immediately correct it (this article is case in point). The professionals who work in energy tend to take the EIA as near gospel...not gospel because you can never be 100% sure, but they're by far the most reliable source for energy information in the world. When I was buying oil for the larges private user in the US, I read the EIA's weekly reports every week; you just have to if you are going to play in the market. So just believe your little fantasy that all the oil woes in the US are engineered by Democrats. I'm sure that's what Rush is saying on the radio today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How typical of ya Will, to take at face value, a pronouncement from .gov that just happens to dovetail with the energy scare tactics they use. Amazing.

You, Kevin, and all the other Obama sycophants just can't get enough of the kool aid.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/21/14.

Sam......

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You missed the part where major oil has steered away from it. And Obama isn't nearly as against oil as you might think. Under Obama we've had the first increase in domestic oil production since 1971. Yeah his party has fought Keystone, and he has been with them. But don't confuse that for being hostile to oil, because he's not. Sure he's not as friendly as Republicans, but he's not hostile. He received more money from big oil than any of the republicans.

As for the Energy Information Agencey; clearly you just don't have a clue. They are not political appointees, and they're the most trusted and respected information source for energy in the world. They do weekly, and quarterly reports, and anytime they find they were wrong on something, they will immediately correct it (this article is case in point). The professionals who work in energy tend to take the EIA as near gospel...not gospel because you can never be 100% sure, but they're by far the most reliable source for energy information in the world. When I was buying oil for the larges private user in the US, I read the EIA's weekly reports every week; you just have to if you are going to play in the market. So just believe your little fantasy that all the oil woes in the US are engineered by Democrats. I'm sure that's what Rush is saying on the radio today.

BS the hold up on the Keystone shows hostility towards oil and the Americans that perform that work.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,790
Posts18,515,999
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.