-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Work Sharp knife sharpener that I have used on several knives over the last year or so. I am not arguing the merits about whether or not it is a good way to sharpen knives.

For those who have used a Work Sharp, can someone tell me why it seems that my knives are sharper on one side than they are on the other? Is there a way to correct this?

No matter what I do, it seems that the knife blade, when held in my hand with the blade pointing away and down, is always sharper on the left side than the right. This would be the side that I hold against the belt in the right side of the Work Sharp blade guide.

I have made a conscious effort to hold the blade pressed against the guide when sharpening both sides, and I give each side equal passes on different grit belts. In fact, I tried giving the less sharp side a few extra passes, and that didn't seem to help either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and no, I am not going to buy and Edge Pro.... grin

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am going to guess that the sharper side is opposite your last pass. That is also the side where the burr is. Because of the way a belt sharpens it will not cut the burr the way a stone can. What you need the do is strop the blade. You can use a leather belt, a piece of wood, or most anything flat that is not harder than the blade. Work both sides equally. You can do it dry or use some type of buffing/polishing compound.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great answer BC.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am a believer in using a strop for final sharpening no matter what method used (stones, work sharp, edge pro, etc).
You can make a couple very light side alternating passes with your finest abrasive belt and remove most of the burr with the work sharp.
www.econaway.com is a good source for 1/2" and 3/4" belts and belt kits for the work sharp or any other abrasive needs.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (AdventureBound, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 673, 44automag, 18 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,438
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.