Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 36 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My buddy used to head shoot grouse with his 270.

[video:youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfN_gcjGoJo[/video]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I seem to remember one writer from the past who would, when pressed, probably have conceded that the .270 could be used for that application, IF the shooter didn't mind losing some wounded ones.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Hogeye
I read Warren Page. He loved the 7mm Mashburn, but when he went after big bears he got out the 9mm Mashburn.

And Elmer Keith killed a running deer with a .32-20 revolver. FWIW

Never read about the 9mm, but he was a great Fan of the 375 Weatherby.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wageslave
Why all this fuss?
Why can't I shoot what I'm comfortable with at a distance I am confident in and you do the same with yours?
Now, let's grab some silos and go kill some schit.

P.S. Mine really is better, BTW.

Amen. I don't really care what some writer from the 30's thinks of the technology I use, or what anybody else thinks of my hunting style. Hunting to me is the deliberate pursuit of something with the objective of killing it. Period. Distance of the shot, weapon used, size of the deer's nuts, or anything else don't factor in for me. As long as I feel that I'm being respectful to the game animal, ethical, and responsible, that's all that matters to me.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
An ethical shot is different for everyone. For some an 800 yard attempt is more ethical than an 80 yard attempt would be for others. I've seen the guys who can't hit a standing deer broadside at 50 yards. No shot is ethical for them to attempt.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Does Rick just keep you around to increase post count, or do you actually have any useful knowledge to contribute? If the latter is the case, I have yet to see it.

Odds are, you wouldn�t know it if it bit you in the azz

Oh like all your knowledge about how Kimbers are such pieces of junk, yet your rifle shot sub-moa 3 shot groups with less than an hour�s work?

No one here takes you seriously. The �Fire would be a much better place if you would just go away. You would not be missed.

As I've said before I've never claimed any gunsmith skills, that is one of the reasons I come here. I'll come and go here as I please, and you can GFY goat. Is everyone in MT a rude mofo like you?

Only to ignorant azzbags who spout off as if they know what they�re talking about, yet can�t so much as produce one picture to back up their stories. Like yourself.

The Kimber debacle was rather entertaining, as the fixes were something any halfway decent rifleman (which you claim to be) would look for, regardless of the rifle in question.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So, for the people who believe hunting ethocs are totally a personal choice: If some company offered a scope that automatically compensated for range, wind-drift and even movement of the target out to 1000 yards or more, would you use one for hunting?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For myself, no. That would be shooting, not hunting, again for myself!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So, for the people who believe hunting ethocs are totally a personal choice: If some company offered a scope that automatically compensated for range, wind-drift and even movement of the target out to 1000 yards or more, would you use one for hunting?

No.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
An ethical shot is different for everyone. For some an 800 yard attempt is more ethical than an 80 yard attempt would be for others. I've seen the guys who can't hit a standing deer broadside at 50 yards. No shot is ethical for them to attempt.

800yd, on a game animal, without a rangefinder was never ethical, unless a person has some hellacious land nav skills.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'd use a scope that had a military quality rangefinder in a heartbeat.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I think a lot of people confuse what's "ethical" with personal ethics. If someone was equipped with such a scope that virtually guaranteed a lethal hit, then the animal would be killed in an ethical manner.

You could make an argument about fair chase, and talk about the range at which the animal's senses and defenses are taken out of the equation by superior technology, and at what point the playing field is skewed so far in favor of the hunter that the animal doesn't have a fair chance at escape.

But IMHO, those arguments don't hold up because you could make the same argument about a 300 yard shot (or 200), but most guys can make those shots so the guys who say a 1000 yard shot is "unethical" but a 300 yard shot is not are somewhat hypocritical.

Whether a 1000 yard shot with a failsafe scope fits with someone's personal ethic is a different subject.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

I think a lot of people confuse what's "ethical" with personal ethics. If someone was equipped with such a scope that virtually guaranteed a lethal hit, then the animal would be killed in an ethical manner.

Whether it fits with someone's personal ethic is a different subject.

Very well stated.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Very well stated.

Thanks, but I couldn't leave well enough alone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys can argue physics until they are blue in the face, but the numbers always win. You can't get 3" of drift in a 15mph crosswind with a .625 BC going 3000 FPS.

The rest is personal choice and ability. No sense in arguing, but it will never stop. .

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
smokepole,

Whether or not somebody else (especially the mythical "average hunter") is a lousy shot at 200 yards is irrelevant. Yeah, it's brought up every time the discussion of long-range hunting comes up, but it doesn't justify OR disqualify shooting at longer ranges. It's a separate issue, very much like when you went to your parents and said, "Everybody else is doing it."

What does matter is whether or not we're justified in using tools that reduce hunting to shopping: Use the technology and "harvest" an animal.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, if what we want is a dead animal. That's why early humans who absolutely had to hunt to survive used every means of their technology possible, including driving animals over cliffs, or using fire to push them into lakes or canyons where they could be clubbed to death, or into spiked pits. The very desirable end result was food, obtained the most efficient way possible.

If pure survival is the whole point of hunting today, then yes, any method is ethically correct. I freely admit that one of the primary reasons I hunt is the meat, since I hate not only paying for domestic meat, but eating all the stuff usually added. But I also prize the process of hunting, because it's much older and essentially satisfying than pressing a button or writing a check. Both the process and the product are intertwined.

If all I wanted was the product, the difference between killing a wild animal with every advantage today's technology offers and buying domestic meat is so tiny as to be almost indistinguishable.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

If all I wanted was the product, the difference between killing a wild animal with every advantage today's technology offers and buying domestic meat is so tiny as to be almost indistinguishable.

Come on man.....

Is cow elk meat better tasting and far more nutritious.... when you run it off a cliff.... or spear it... or kill it with a fuggin' flintlock?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smokepole,

Whether or not somebody else (especially the mythical "average hunter") is a lousy shot at 200 yards is irrelevant. Yeah, it's brought up every time the discussion of long-range hunting comes up, but it doesn't justify OR disqualify shooting at longer ranges. It's a separate issue, very much like when you went to your parents and said, "Everybody else is doing it."

Exactly. It doesn't matter what everybody else is doing. Everybody has a different set of standards and moral benchmarks in this life. You simply have to ask yourself if the proposed activity is legal, and if you feel good about it. If it's legal and you feel good about it, based on your ethics and moral standards, then who am I or anyone else to tell you what you should or shouldn't do.

What does matter is whether or not we're justified in using tools that reduce hunting to shopping: Use the technology and "harvest" an animal.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, if what we want is a dead animal. That's why early humans who absolutely had to hunt to survive used every means of their technology possible, including driving animals over cliffs, or using fire to push them into lakes or canyons where they could be clubbed to death, or into spiked pits. The very desirable end result was food, obtained the most efficient way possible.

If pure survival is the whole point of hunting today, then yes, any method is ethically correct. I freely admit that one of the primary reasons I hunt is the meat, since I hate not only paying for domestic meat, but eating all the stuff usually added. But I also prize the process of hunting, because it's much older and essentially satisfying than pressing a button or writing a check. Both the process and the product are intertwined.

Good post, MD. I think the answer is different for everyone. To respond to your question about the fail-safe rifle system out to 1000 yards- I personally wouldn't typically use it, but I wouldn't say I would never use it! And if another guy chose to use it all the time for his hunting, I certainly wouldn't try to say he shouldn't!

It comes down to our reasons for hunting. I can tell you that there are days when I'm simply going out to put some meat on the ground and then into my freezer, while other days my objective for going out is simply to be out in the hills, mountains, or forests. Yet other days I'm going out in pursuit of the biggest specimen possible of whatever species I'm hunting, and I'm completely prepared to pass up "meat" than I might have shot on a different day. If it's a meat/grocery day, I'm liable to take whatever the hills offer, using whatever technology I can legally use to bolster my chances. If it's an "out for the experience" day, then I almost don't care what's in my hands, and I might even choose not to shoot a legal animal, so I don't "ruin" the day by making a lot of work. And so on and so forth.

How we feel about the technology and ethics that we embrace really depends on our motivations for going hunting in the first place.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
smokepole,

Whether or not somebody else (especially the mythical "average hunter") is a lousy shot at 200 yards is irrelevant. Yeah, it's brought up every time the discussion of long-range hunting comes up.....

Mule Deer: I think you missed the point of my post. I said nothing about the average hunter being a lousy shot at 200 yards or any other distance. What I said was, most guys can make a 200 or 300 yard shot. Would you argue that?

The point being, in my opinion 300 yards is far enough to defeat the senses of the animal and rely on superior technology to the point that the animal is at a distinct disadvantage.

The secondary point being, since most guys can make that shot, they consider it "ethical" whereas a 1000-yard shot is somehow "unethical." In my opinion, both the 300 yard shot and the 1000 yard shot use superior technology to put the hunter at a distinct advantage, so this is like the pot calling the kettle black.

And again, I never said anything about the average hunter being a lousy shot at 200 yards. You brought that up.

I freely admit that one of the primary reasons I hunt is the meat, since I hate not only paying for domestic meat, but eating all the stuff usually added. But I also prize the process of hunting, because it's much older and essentially satisfying than pressing a button or writing a check.

So answer this question. If a guy simply wants wild game meat, and doesn't value what you and I value about hunting, and uses a failsafe scope to make a clean, one-shot kill at 1,000 yards, is he being unethical?

Probably not.

I'm like you, and hunting for me is more than just collecting meat. But that's my personal ethic. The guy who just wants the meat and makes a clean kill using available technology is every bit as ethical as you or I, he just doesn't share the same personal ethic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yup, old and dead is a bad combination......

Possibly better than young and dead.

Another thing about 600 yard hunting. Apparently all you need to drop game in its tracks at 600+ is be able to ring steel gongs that far out. That seems to be the litmus test for the crack big game LR hunter.

Never mind that some of the bullets they are using are far less than perfect for taking game, especially at some of the low speeds those bullets are doing out that far, and at range where the error factor is magnified greatly.

Personally I think the 7mm IS a better long ranger than the 270 Win. But I can't agree its a better hunting cartridge unless you really need a 175g bullet. And in any of those situations I'd wager a 150g premium outta the 270 Win is less than a few percent behind in all aspects.

Anyone who says one of those cartridges is better than the other is mad.

Page 32 of 36 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, AscensionIndustries, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 665 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.