Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Tonight I gingerly looked through the many jars until I found that perfect one. the one with the crystel clear nectar the bright green and red colors. I carefully removed it from the shelf and set it down on the counter. Anticipation is now filling the pantry, I unscrew the ring exposing the lip of the cap, with a church key I pop the top. the smell of vinagar and spices fill my nostrals with delights to come. Carefully, so very carefully I remove one long green slender stalk and place it in my mouth....THIS SON OF GUN IS HOT... oh how I love pickled asparagrass. one quart down 19 to go.
<br>
<br>Any of you guys pickle vegies?
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Oh yeah!
<br>
<br>Pickled asparagras is one of our absolute favorites.[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>We, unfortunately, did not get any put up this year. You are making me very hungry now.
<br>
<br>
<br>Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to pickle quail eggs. Takes some time pealing those little suckers but they sure are good. Makes a hit at wild game dinners.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PDS
<br>I used to raise quail for the eggs and pickling them is the only way to go. No trick to peeling them either. After boiling and cooling just dump them in cheap vinegar for a few hours, a simple squeeze squirts them out of the sac left after most of the shell dissolves... love them pickled eggs!!!
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl
<br>We pickle all sorts of things, especially fiddlehead ferns and mushrooms.
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka,
<br>
<br>I hadn't thought about fiddleheads for a long time! When I was a boy, my grandfather used to drag me off to New Brunswick for trout and salmon fishing expeditions. We always bought bushels of fresh fiddleheads from the native canadians (indians) and ate them as our vegetable of choice while in what grandpa referred to as "fish camp".
<br>
<br>NW MO isn't prime fiddlehead country. Good for morel mushrooms in April/May, but no good fiddlehead lodes that I have found.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bearrr264
<br>We are in the mother lode of ferns here in AK, and we get more than our share of morels... bushels at a time. The fiddle heads come in two distinct varieties here, one that cleans up extremely easily and another that has a dead brown fringe that hangs on even through blanching and pickling and is a pain to deal with. The others are easy though.
<br>
<br>Now pickled mushrooms!!! I can get into them. That is the only way that I really enjoy most mushrooms.
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Art, pickled fiddle heads!! who a thunk it... why not.
<br>I like pickled shrooms too. I also likes cats... you wanna exchange recipes[Linked Image]
<br>A long time ago a friend of mine and my self were sitting by a nice cozy fire drinking wine and swapping lies about hunting, fishing, women, cars, or whatever. Out of the blue the conversation must have got around to food. All we had at hand was more wine and a bag of store bought mushrooms, don't know how they got there or the mustard either. So we found a couple sharp pointed sticks. I think they were my friends practice arrows...well we skewered them schrooms on the arrows and roasted them like marshmellows dipped them in hot mustard...must have been hot mustard I won't use any thing else...well the wine may have had some effect on that decision...and chowed down.
<br>To this day I tell this story but I do not know if the mushrooms were any good.[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 47 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,290
Posts18,505,220
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.