Print Thread
Hop To
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
A friend is interested in buying a spotting scope.His budget is $200, tops.I have almost no idea about a spotting scope.What is a decent one(if any)in this price range.Think I saw somwhere that a Nikon earth and sky scope is on sale for under $200.Is that an OK scope.Also what power range is good for a spotting scope.Would appreciate your responses to this,thank you.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend is interested in buying a spotting scope.His budget is $200, tops.I have almost no idea about a spotting scope.What is a decent one(if any)in this price range.Think I saw somwhere that a Nikon earth and sky scope is on sale for under $200.Is that an OK scope.Also what power range is good for a spotting scope.Would appreciate your responses to this,thank you.

There are no decent ones in your friend's price range only survivable ones AFAIK. Some say that Celestron makes one in this price range that would be adequate for range use.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A while back, Cameta Camera had the Nikon Earth and Sky with a fixed 20X eyepiece for $139. I got one, and found it very adequate for my use. On a whim, I spent another $80 and got the 25X wide angle eyepiece (same field of view as the 20X).

No, it's not the best scope in the world, but it is a good scope. And it is a darn sight better than most anything else I could find new for that price. The variable zoom eyepiece adds a lot to the price, so a fixed eyepiece is a considerable saving.

The other option is to cruise eBay for something used in good condition.

Be not weary in well doing.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tell him to save up until he can get a good one.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Actually, the Leupold Wind River series spotters are about in that price range. Thay are very nice scopes for the money and do have a Leupold Limited Lifetime warranty on them. No, they are not a Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, etc., but very good quality for the money. You have your choice of straight or angled eyepiece. I've had one for two years now and don't regret it at all.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It depemds on what your friend is using the spotting scope for as to how good of one he needs. A fixed power spoter in that price range will work out to 200 yards for shooting range work. For glassing a hillside they won't work very well IMO. From what I've looked through the cheap variable spotters aren't as clear as the fixed power models.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thank you all for the input.Appreciate this very much.I realize that it is a very tight budget and the better ones are going to much higher in price.Unfortunately this is his budget.
I would like to give a special thanks to Doug at Cameraland.He has always been very prompt in replies to queries.Not only in this matter but in many previous occasions.Those who hae dealt with him will know this.But to others,he is someone you can deal with in great confidence.He will go the extra step to make sure that his customers are happy.
I will convey all your suggestions to my friend and see what he wants to do.Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 9 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,451
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.