Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
SOUTHAMPTON, N.J. (AP) � State police say a hunter wearing �very elaborate� camouflage was killed when two vehicles struck him as he tried to cross a southern New Jersey highway.

The Courier-Post reports the accident occurred around 5:20 a.m. Monday on Route 70 in Southampton. The man had a shotgun, a camouflage blanket and was dressed in leafy camouflage gear which made him less visible to drivers.

He was first struck by a car whose driver stopped, believing he had hit a deer. But when he saw a man's boot, the driver realized he had struck a person.

The driver saw an approaching tractor-trailer and tried to signal the driver to stop. But the truck hit the man and kept going.

When the truck driver arrived at work, he heard about the accident and returned to the scene.

No charges have been filed.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
moral of the story - camo doesn't make you car proof and you should look before crossing the road

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would like to think I would slow down when I see a 6 ft leafy thing in the middle of a hiway. It's not like he could run as fast as a deer. Maybe it was on a corner??

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Turkey hunter?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
moral of the story - camo doesn't make you car proof and you should look before crossing the road

Another good idea is to stay away from NJ.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Driving in to work this morning in decent/hazy daylight, there was a guy riding a bike - headed home I guess. Like we were mostly taught, he was facing oncoming traffic (me), so I was looking right at him the whole time.

He was on a blackish bike wearing gray pants. And he had on a yellow-green safety vest.

That particular color combo, along the edge of a blacktop road with a grassy shoulder, made him nearly invisible....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
Driving in to work this morning in decent/hazy daylight, there was a guy riding a bike - headed home I guess. Like we were mostly taught, he was facing oncoming traffic (me), so I was looking right at him the whole time.

He was on a blackish bike wearing gray pants. And he had on a yellow-green safety vest.

That particular color combo, along the edge of a blacktop road with a grassy shoulder, made him nearly invisible....

My brother, Toby, was an avid bike enthusiast and I bought a mountain bike. I also had a flashing yellow strobe that I wore on my belt. When my fleeting interest in bicycles fled I asked Toby if he wanted the strobe. He asked, "Why? So the drivers can get a better aim at me?" It never entered my mind that a cyclist was some kind of recreational target to some motorists.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MColeman

My brother, Toby, was an avid bike enthusiast and I bought a mountain bike. I also had a flashing yellow strobe that I wore on my belt. When my fleeting interest in bicycles fled I asked Toby if he wanted the strobe. He asked, "Why? So the drivers can get a better aim at me?" It never entered my mind that a cyclist was some kind of recreational target to some motorists.

I don't know if you call it a "hit" or not. I was into cycling at one time as a cross training for marathon running. I'm riding with traffic [the legal way] and out of the white line. A truck came by with very wide mirrors. His mirror caught my left arm and pushed [for lack of better word] me forward ..like fast. I just rode it out and pulled over. My arm was still there. The driver didn't even notice.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It never entered my mind that a cyclist was some kind of recreational target to some motorists.
\

There are some car/truck drivers out there who screw with/intentionally force motorcycles off the road. Those who play those kinds of games need to be shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Where did this notion come from that riding a bike against traffic is the correct/legal way to do this. Walking facing traffic is correct, but bikes are to ride with the flow of traffic, not against it. I was taught this in grade school back in the 1950s.

. . . Alec Baldwin is directionally challenged. And apparently, that's just the beginning of his problems.

The actor was arrested Tuesday for disorderly conduct in New York after a dust-up with police, who stopped him for riding his bicycle against traffic, the New York Daily News reported.

The actor was photographed being handcuffed and loaded into the back of a police car. . . Baldwin was released after receiving summons for riding against traffic . . .

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Apparently this guy was eventually arrested for reckless endangerment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Turkey hunter?

Former

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by asphaltangel

I would like to think I would slow down when I see a 6 ft leafy thing in the middle of a hiway. It's not like he could run as fast as a deer. Maybe it was on a corner??

Dude! The guy was wearing camouflage! You wouldn't have seen him. Just like what actually happened. eek

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I would think most were taught to ride with traffic. I've never heard anyone advocate riding against traffic.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

I would think most were taught to ride with traffic. I've never heard anyone advocate riding against traffic.

Da knee grows rides facin' da traffic.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Where did this notion come from that riding a bike against traffic is the correct/legal way to do this. Walking facing traffic is correct, but bikes are to ride with the flow of traffic, not against it. I was taught this in grade school back in the 1950s.

I was taught the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Originally Posted by asphaltangel

Dude! The guy was wearing camouflage! You wouldn't have seen him. Just like what actually happened. eek

Could be. I guess I'll have to try that next time I need to be "invisible". Hope your blood pressure is o.k.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
It never entered my mind that a cyclist was some kind of recreational target to some motorists.
\

There are some car/truck drivers out there who screw with/intentionally force motorcycles off the road. Those who play those kinds of games need to be shot.

Yeah, those guys are [bleep] no doubt. Same side of the coin are the motorcyclists who split traffic and haul ass down the shoulder around stopped or slow traffic.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't surprise me to find that the driver who hit him knew that he was a hunter and intentionally aimed his vehicle at him.

That's about what I'd expect in Noo Joisey.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
He was a turkey hunter, that part of New Jersey is pretty rural.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 24 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,747
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.