-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you could buy 22shorts for a penny apeice outta the DoubleBubble jar at age 6..but had to be 6 to buy'em in Midland but not in Odessa ...and you could get a dozen handmade tamales for a whole dollar to feed the family with for dinner in Big Spring

These may be a little too Dallas or Texas for most of you...
When 7-11 Conveneince Stores were only open from 7am to 11pm and sold any kind of shotgun & rimfire shell you wanted...and could hunt squirrels with a 22 using shorts in the City Parks year round...

When a 5 year old could buy a chaw of tobbaco from the Cabells Milk & Ice Cream store 'cause the clerk could see your grandaddy on the porch across the street waving at him...

When Johnny the owner of the Gulf Gas Station swept out your family car, wiped the windshield, checked the oil and belts while he filled the tank with that 20cents a gallon gas...

Getting a choice of Free kitchen drinking glasses or a box of Fab detergent, but only if you had Pink Air put in your tires at the Fina gas station ...

Paying 9 cents to get in the movies ...

Looking for metal scrap and taking it to town for the Korean War Effort....

When your dad could put his S&W 45 in it's Gun Belt with the ammo loops & Holster that hung out of a paper lunch sack to take to work on the bus so's he could take it to the gunsmith at lunch walking thru downtown Dallas with it...

Yadda yadda yadda
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
GB1

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Sir. You have to be close if not pushing. Thank You!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you've dragged deer for 4 generations, and are looking forward to the fifth...

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Desertrat
You started hunting with a SXS double Parker and a .30-30 lever action!!

Close..... I started with a SxS double Damascus off-brand (apparently a quality piece!!!!) and a .30-30. Shot, at times, baby magnums in the 12 ga. SXS.. Scares the hell out of me 45 years later to even think about it now that I know better!

But I still hit better with a SXS than any other shotgun.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by VernAK
I only hunt with a fixed power scope because these damned cataracts make it difficult to use a peep sight.

And, lvmiker if you are going to shoot a wolf, you may want a young helper as they are miserable to skin. And they can stink!

Yeah Vern - them water falls can do that.... )

I was cussing my Cabela's Binocs fpr having uneven coatings.. One side was noticeably more yellow-than the other. I went to the eye doc.

Two plastic lenses later, the binocs work just fine.... smile AND my long distance vision is just fine since the new lenses programmed in that way. I do use 3 different pairs/powers of glasses from arm length in however..... But I seldom encounter game at that range...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bobcape
Originally Posted by st8tman
If your first "commercial" treestand was a Baker.....with NO climbing aid....you just had to "bear-hug" the tree to climb. Hey and the first ones were just that....a treeSTAND, cause you had no where to sit. I remember using an old baseball uniform stretchy belt as my safety belt. Boy oh Boy what a dumbazz I was. Somehow these are still some of the best days of my life!

Damn! That brings back memories hunting in NC. My first tree stand was a Baker. Never heard of a safety belt back then. Just wrapped your arms around the tree and bear-hugged your way up. I remember once I climbed a big slick barked elm tree. It wasn't long before me and the stand came sliding down. You're right, there was no where to sit. You stood on that little platform until it was time to come down. Crazy I guess.

Bob

My 1st was a Warren and Sweat with marine ply platform. Spent a few uncomfortable hours on that one smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
How about a J.C. Higgins 16ga bolt, red wool coat and hat. Added a Ted Williams single shot manual cocking .22, which I carried in a case on my back on my bike to the farm we hunted, until Mom found out. And I was a city kid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When we used to hunt in the Quebec Laurentian mountains for deer or moose with iron sighted guns, mostly Winchester 30-30 or .32 special lever guns, and some Savages, usually in .300. We used to see bolt actions in .303 or 30-40 Krag since lots were available in the stores.
we wore red or green checkered wool jackets and green wool army surplus pants. Footwear were felt lined rubber bottoms and leather tops called pacmocs. Long Johns were often the cotton white coverall types with a rear flap. Headgear Elmer Fud type red checkered hats or a red togue.
Hunting knives were mostly fixed blades with handles of compressed leather washers. Popular were those with either Sheffield or Solingen steel.
We hunted on foot often doing deer drives but often just still hunting on the beech wood ridges. No ATV for hauling out deer, all hand power.
I broke some tradition one day by buying a newfangled Ruger semi auto carbine in .44 magnum which worked well for that type of hunting, still using open sights.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
You wake up in the mornings with everything stiff except what should be....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You used buckle artic rubber boots over tennis shoes to hunt in.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your first hunting bow was an ultra-modern Ben Pearson 50 lb'er. Everything hurts in the morning.

LOL
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You remember 45 gallon barrels of army surplus 303 British in the Army & Navy department store. You seem to remember 3 barrels - $5.95 (choice), 9.95 & 14.95 based on use and condition........but you can't be sure on those details smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just drink a tall glass or two of hot water first thing in the am

I do, but I flavor mine with coffee. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by kawi
If you seek a strait power rifle scope.grin

But you are even older if while hunting:

-You have to get-up at night every two hours to pee
-Bring a can of Metamucil with you to the campsite

smile Just kidding with you.

smile

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
One can remember when hardware stores would break a box of ammo. Used to go in and get maybe 27 cents worth of 22 LR's.

Down in Forsyth GA I used to buy 16 ga slugs one or 2 at a time from the hardware store.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
If your sled had runners.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i remember .19 cents for a box of 22 lr. .22 cent for reg. leaded gas. hunting cottontails in the snow, baked cottontail with stuffing,fried cottontail,hunted mule deer and elk, with a worn out 44-40, got a big up grade when grand dad gave me a really used 30-30 94 win.i hunted every thing that had hair or feathers within 50 miles of Meeker, Colo. first shotgun was a savage single shot .410 paid $3.00 for it. if it would fly it would die from then on,started hunting by myself in 1946 till today, still guide hunters every year, and will as long as i can.rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Your first hunting bow was an ultra-modern Ben Pearson 50 lb'er. Everything hurts in the morning.

I still have mine, but it is a 55 lb'er ! grin

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Everything hurts in the morning, and very little works in the evening...

I was the cool Browning Stalker guy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one can remember when hardware stores would break a box of ammo. I.e. If one only had $2.00, they'd piece out 2 bucks worth of cartridges and put the rest back on the shelf.

Every unit in the safe has a walnut stock on it.

Your scopes were made with steel tubes,

and every rifle came with sights attached.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/28/14.

1Minute
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.