Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I'm looking for an EXCEPTIONAL Hunting Guide this fall (2014)for
a record book moose (like a 72 inch PLUS!) to appease my dreams for my hunting room collection! If you know of such a outstanding guide, please let me know and I am also looking for a record book wolverine!
Bob
bobrhessyahoo.com

Bob
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good luck on a book wolverine.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
72+ wow ...

ask this hunter he will guide you ... but you need to have a .303 british and open sights ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/giant-yukon-moose-confirmed-as-world-record-1.2521183

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/featured_story.asp?area=news&ID=186

forgot you need to be resident.

im pretty sure there will be a lot of residents hunting around that area this fall ...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A guide for a big moose can be found without too much trouble. But big is a relative term. Record book moose are very rare and unusual. Your desire will not be attained by shopping, it is hunting and luck is a major factor. Setting your goal on a 72" moose is unrealistic and you will be disappointed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Getting a guide that can find you a great moose and possibly a wolverine is a more realistic expectation. But thinking that you are going to hire a guide who can find you a surefire 72+ incher AND a book wolverine with only a few days of your time invested into the hunt just isn't going to happen. Well, maybe it's happened before. Once.

That's like saying "I want to hire a guide that is so good, he can find me a 220" typical WT buck within 2 days"...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.yukonoutfitters.net/inde...mp;view=article&id=91&Itemid=222

Lots of big moose have come out of the areas along the nwt border over the years. Rouge river, McMillan river, duelling stone, bonnet plume.... You get the idea. 72" book moose are few and far between

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have been guiding moose hunters for more than 40 years. I saw a 72 inch rack off a moose that was killed in 1957 at Frazer Lake,Ont.--only one I ever saw and it wasn't a very pretty rack.
My personal best was 63 inches and I used to process more than 100 moose a year in my shop. I've only processed maybe a half dozen over 60 inches.

Got a buddy of mine that killed a 67 incher several years ago in Alaska. He owns a boat factory and that hunt set him back 12 grand.

My first thought when I read this post was--maybe in the Youkon--with unlimited money and unlimited time--still need a whole lotta luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last bit of research I did was that a guided moose hunt in a trophy area was going to cost upwards of $18,000 or more. Regarding a wolverine too, is there even a trophy class for wolverine? Never heard of that one. This post sounds like a young hunter with some pretty unrealistic "goals". Perhaps doing a little trolling?

Rolly
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My little two cents worth is, this sounds a bit like Houston a few years back with the polar bear hunt.

A lofty goal, but I can see it would be easy to spend a lot of money, and come up disappointed.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bobrhess
a record book moose (like a 72 inch PLUS!) to appease my dreams for my hunting room collection! If you know of such a outstanding guide, please let me know and I am also looking for a record book wolverine!
Bob
[email protected]

Record book huh...this must be a bit like shopping for instant appetite appeasement.

Doesn't sound much like any hunting I know of.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And just in case my post was a wee bit obscure try this;

Originally Posted by bobrhess
Bob
[email protected]

TRANSLATION;

Looking for a crooked fellow that has a really massive hand raised fat moose that is penned and ready to be shot...and would be really neat if same fellow has a big fat hand raised wolverine in a cage so that I can stick the muzzle of my rifle in it's ear and claim a record book kill.

Ps, it would be super duper great if the obliging fellow would lie his c_nt out and proclaim to all and sundry what a wonderful hunter I am.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
With only 4 posts to his name, come on!! Starts with "T".

My best guess is all 2014 hunts are booked. Money cant buy you everything. You might as well ask the guide to tie up the WR Dall and Mountain Caribou and Grizzly at the same time, hold it for you to "walk up on" in your hunt.

IMO,I don't think you are prepared for a Yukon or Alaskan guided hunt.

I kind of like JSTUART's comments.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bobrhess;
Welcome to the 'Fire from south central BC sir.

As others have already mentioned, in all likelihood most of the 2014 hunts are booked already, but you could certainly check in with a few of the guide/outfitters in case there's a cancellation.

If you've not hunted up here previously, I'd like to suggest a quick perusal of the stickied thread at the top of our Canada section here as it contains a plethora of useful information for any visiting hunter.

Lastly, regardless of which outfitter/guide you choose it would be my opinion that a 72" moose would not be a guaranteed outcome of any hunt. I base this upon good family friends who live in Whitehorse - moved there from Dawson City - and very much know how and where to hunt moose in the Yukon.

Hopefully that was somewhat useful to you or someone else this fine, still Sunday morning. Again welcome to the 'Fire and good luck on your hunt.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rolly,

Believe it or not, there is a record-book class for wolverine. SCI has one, and as with bears it's a skull measurement.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

That's like saying "I want to hire a guide that is so good, he can find me a 220" typical WT buck within 2 days"...

Spot on, Jordan.

If an outfitter offered me a guaranteed hunt for a record book animal of any species, I'd run the other way as fast as I could,and would never book any hunt with him.

No outfitter can guarantee such an outcome; not legally nor ethically anyway.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/25/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks SASK Hunter! I've been hunting in Alaska several times and have taken a great double shovel Barren Ground Caribou, a nice black wolf and a 39 & 1/2 inch Dall Sheep! I have never had the chance to hunt in the Yukon yet and look forward it! Thought about Jim Shockey,but he wants 18K + for ANY moose hunt! Looks like several posts on this site seem to doubt anyone's questions and experience! Maybe the administrator should should look into that IF this site wants to continue!

Bob
B
OP Offline
B
JSTUART
You may have several hundred posts on this site, but I see that you seen to have a translation problem! If the members of this site are as (WARM) as you are; then you and this site are going to have a lot of trouble getting new members! I belong to over 30 different hunting,fishing,flying,outdoor and other organizations that support all hunting! If you make a so called TRANSLATION for me: then I suggest you get off your BIG HORSE and ask me what IS TICKING YOU OFF! I'll GUARANTEE YOU THAT I SUPPORT MORE HUNTING ORGANIZATIONS than you have ever known! And I am a member of more hunting, fishing, outdoor and aviation associations than you will ever know!
If this is how you want to welcome a new member into (NOT YOUR
ORGANIZATION), then I suggest the moderators take REAL HARD LOOK at what is going on here and ADJUST it accordingly!

Bob
B
OP Offline
B
MightyPeace;
If you want to make a decision on how many posts that ANY new member has made then you are not doing your research on their history of that member! Try reading my Bio! Maybe I DIDN'T join before you did on this site but I have just the right to enter my opinions on this as you do! And yes, I have hunted in Alaska (I have over 62 years of hunting experience that I will match with anyone on this site!)
And you and JSTUART'S comment's seem to be in the same ball park!
Seem like this site needs to CULL out some of it's SO CALLED MEMBERS and start with a new roster that will TRUELY support new members and the COMPLETE OUTDOORS!

Bob
B
OP Offline
B
Mule Deer
Thanks for the support for stating that there IS a record book for Wolverines! Seems some members on this site don't know that!
Of course even some members don't even know that a bear's skull measurement's is the only thing that is used to to enter the record book!
Thanks!

Bob
B
OP Offline
B
BC30cal
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Wish some of the others on this site were as sincere as you!
Maybe if they find out a little about you, then their pre-conceived opinions might change!
Thanks for the tip about the top of your Canadian section! I will use it!
I just wish more people on the site were as WARM as you and I sincerely thank you for the warm welcome and information sent!

Bob
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (308xray, 1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 444afic, 17 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,085
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.