-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just finished the Mad Trapper from Rat River, very enjoyable read, the guy was some kind of stud

also finished this weekend at the cabin 3 Roads to the Alamo (BW reco'ed it) and then read When Men become Gods, the story of Warren Jeffs and FLDS along the border of Utah and AZ (didn't care for the guy's writing style, but the book was informative), the head honcho WJ had something like 180 wives! Never worked after being the principle of their school and had mucho dinero just from all the contributions. Has me ready to lead you boys to the promised land, PM me for an address where to send your loot and womenfolk! (lol)

Now reading the story of Quannah Parker, something about Summer Moon people for a title ( may be off on that) first few chapters are very good

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Crazy Horse and Custer, Stephen Ambrose. Fascinating stuff.

That was a great book. I'm reading Sniper's Honor by Stephen Hunter. It may be his best yet.

Hadn't heard of that one. His latest?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
"The Final Frontiersman" Heimo Korth. Alone in Alaska's Arctic Wilderness.

Heimo's quite a character, a truly good guy. Worked for John Pete one short season and Heimo was guiding for him too, got to get to know him a bit wating for a bush plane pickup.

he's a big fan of Kirk Sweetsir, me too, the guy can fly

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Same two books been on my nightstand for 180 years. Perhaps a slight exaggeration. Ahem. But the two books are "No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan, and the KJV. Read them both almost every night.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I read a lot while I'm on my work hitches on the slope. Not so much when I'm home. This hitch it's, "The English Standard Version Holy Bible", Don Zutz, "The Double Shotgun", Michael McIntosh, "Shotguns and Shooting Three", Rollin Oswald, "Stock Fitter's Bible", and poring over my firearms instructor manual and EMT books to stay fresh. Also recent issues of "Rifle" and "Handloader" magazines.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Now reading the story of Quannah Parker, something about Summer Moon people for a title ( may be off on that) first few chapters are very good

LOL,,, It's "Empire Of The Summer Moon". One of my all time favorites.

I'm about half way through The Mad Trapper Of Rat River.
He was indeed a bad MF'er.
I get cold just reading about the temperatures he endured.
Course he shot two cops and killed a third that didn't do chit to him sooooo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't say I could read well! lol

oh he deserved to die imo, but we was nuts on tough, 10 lb. a piece snowshoes aren't for sissies

I really need to watch that youtube video now, I guess the guy got permission to exhume the body since that book was published.

Curious to find out if he had the correct guy, if he did, he was doing time back when time wasn't easy and was already a bit of a hard case.

but dang, draggin that boat up that canyon??? when the Indians think you're tough, you're most likely pretty tough. (grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ordered, eagerly awaiting �

Chiniquy, The Priest, the Woman, and the Confessional.

In his Fifty Years in the Church of Rome (he was a priest for 25 years), he alluded tantalizingly to the woman's ordeal in the confessional. I'm hoping that in this other book he gets into the matter somewhat less delicately.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Ordered, eagerly awaiting �

Chiniquy, The Priest, the Woman, and the Confessional.

In his Fifty Years in the Church of Rome (he was a priest for 25 years), he alluded tantalizingly to the woman's ordeal in the confessional. I'm hoping that in this other book he gets into the matter somewhat less delicately.

Have you ever read any Thomas Merton?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Call of the hounds By Del Cameron.
Enjoyed ,Empire of the summer Moon".
Not long finished The wrath of Cochise By Terry Mort
Last stand of Fox company was good read , Hope those brave men are well remembered

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been on an Elmer Kelton kick for the last few months. Presently reading The day the cowboys quit.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read several books at a time;
Empire of the summer moon about Comanches
Dining with Al-qaeda
A book on a Ranger, have not read enough to get locked in
Just finished one of Anne Coulters books.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Game of Thrones"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal"

It's a Masterpiece.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Bristoe
No Place to Hide, by Glen Greenwald
Oh MAN I wanna read that one. When you're done, send me a PM and tell me your thoughts. It's next on my to buy list.

People don't have enough imagination to develop an unreasonable level of paranoia these days.

If you can imagine it,..it's being done,..and a lot more.

I think this is very true!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah that one is good, looks like lots of folks are reading that one. I thought it was great, I am going to read Comanche Empire eventually. But first, Nine Years Among the Indians is in the mail.

I just finished Crazy Horse and Custer which I recommend. I thought Ambrose did a good job putting both men and both societies into perspective, and I find the interactions between the cultures fascinating. Essentially, I feel the two cultures were just incompatible with each other. What an epic misunderstanding.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Same two books been on my nightstand for 180 years. Perhaps a slight exaggeration. Ahem. But the two books are "No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan, and the KJV. Read them both almost every night.
Got a copy of both...both well thumbed. And something tells me Bill Jordan was a regular reader of The Bible also.

Deadliest man with a handgun I've ever seen.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Took a day off from reading and now start the book by Douglas Preston,The Kraken project.

Might be a good one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just finished Patriot Games - Tom Clancy- first one of his that I've read, and worth the time. Next - looking for something else from Capstick, or if I'm lucky Keith's Hell I Was There...

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Working my way through the Robert Crais novels. Started about three weeks ago and I'm on the ninth book.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.