Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
Was thinking the other day about the advances in farm technology and how it has advanced . Don't think they have improved tractor since 1990 to now this much shocked here is example of 2 of the most popular John Deere's models of the time!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
An old '51 B last year made was '52 and this on is fancy lights and electric start!!! than a '75 model 4430 last year made was '77 lets see, AC, heat , stereo ,and much, much more
The 30 series were good machines but just like the 4020 was better than the 4010, I think they tweaked them and the 40 series was better yet. I'd much rather have a 4440 than a 4430. The 4430 was a good tractor though. They were decently inexpensive too. When the 30 series were out, they were affordable but by the 40 series John Deere had gotten big heads and priced themselves out of the market for a lot of farmers. The 1086 IH was very popular around here with former John Deere boys, for instance.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Get rid of them before the warranty is up.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IIRC, the JD4020 was the first tractor introduced that got to 100 hp. At the time, IH only had a couple in the 75-85 hp range - the 560 and 660. JD got ahead in the game with that venerable 4020 and many are still running today. Although, on nearly every other farm in these parts one can still find an old M and H operating various minor machines.. Haven't seen too many JD As or Bs any longer.

Now there's GPS tracking, auto-steer, auto-throttle and other little electronic goodies that just boggle my feeble mind. I truly miss the good old days of simpler units with 100-140 hp. But, with small farms virtually gone and mega-farmers running thousands of acres, those types of machines can't do the job any longer. Kinda sad..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, the JD4020 was the first tractor introduced that got to 100 hp.

I never could warm up to a 4020. I am tall with long legs and they would beat my knees up on rough ground. I liked the 56 series of IH tractors with the 1456 being my favorite. Around here they turned the horsepower way up over advertised and they were hosses. When the 66 series came out they had shortened the wheelbase and they rode rougher. Would still pull though. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do any of you older guys remember the tractor shortage many years ago? A co-worker of mine had a brother in the midwest who was desparate for a new tractor, ANY tractor. He had to cross 2 state lines and pay way over the sticker price to get it. I can't remember the details of what happened but there were none to be found anywhere in the country.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
With the way the farms are going bankrupt, and the government paying farmers to NOT farm this or that crop, I'm surprised any actual farm tractors are made or sold in the U.S. anymore.

The foreign made tractors have invaded as well.

There does seem to be a market for small tractors as more people leave the cities to the hoodrats though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Hot temps and no A/C will make you feel sick. I've taken my boots off more than once which helps some.
Strange feeling when you step out of the cab and 90 degrees feels likes a cold front!

Lots of guys say they like the 'older' tractors because of the lack of computer chit to go wrong. Might be part of the reason why demand is high for the 20-30 year JD's.

I can't much imagine a cab without AC. We dont' do enough to need a cab on the 100 acres here, it gets hot in the summer, but I can only imagine a cab wihtout AC.

FIL used to combine with same.. cab without AC. Had to be like sitting in a sauna.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

The foreign made tractors have invaded as well.
Many of those were around in the '70s. I had two myself (Both Satohs). Now it's mainly Kubota, Mahindra etc..

There does seem to be a market for small tractors as more people leave the cities to the hoodrats though.
The small 'compact' tractors definitely have a market. I'd be lost w/o my little 4210 (28hp diesel)..

Originally Posted by rost495

I can't much imagine a cab without AC. We dont' do enough to need a cab on the 100 acres here, it gets hot in the summer, but I can only imagine a cab wihtout AC.

FIL used to combine with same.. cab without AC. Had to be like sitting in a sauna.
When the A/C goes out (and it does happen) they just remove the doors and the rear window and run 'em open-air. Pretty decent that way - since the roof is still in place it keeps the sun off yer balding pate.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My college crony farmer buddy over in Conrad showed me some snaps of his seeding rig. The tractor basically is pulling an entire equipment yard behind it. Brang spanking new, GPS controlled everything, and his combines map yield as they chew.
Quite a bit different from when I worked harvest with him 30 years ago -- then we basically tracked our loads for the field, got out the calculator, and did it that way. Amazing.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Geez talk about making a guy feel is age.
We worked Farmall Super M wide fronts. Then we got the NEW tractor, our first diesel, a Farmall W9. thought it couldn't get any better...................

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Bought this one in 2012. It's a 6210 and the 210 is the horsepower.

[Linked Image]

Thinking there is an 'R' after the 6210 on your tractor. Big difference between yours and the 6210 from around 2001 or so, it was only 90 hp. I had a 7210 (110 hp) that I liked a lot.

Either way, it's a big difference from the Farmall H that I learned on. Grandad bought it in 1943 for around $850 IIRC.

Dale

This space for rent

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Michael
Geez talk about making a guy feel is age.
We worked Farmall Super M wide fronts. Then we got the NEW tractor, our first diesel, a Farmall W9. thought it couldn't get any better...................
Sounds like my uncle. Farmed 360A with an H and an M for many years. Finally bought his first 'big' tractor in '63 - an IH 560 Diesel with 4-bottom plow.. Big stuff!! laugh laugh

Now, this afternoon, I gotta try and get myself familiar with operating a Claas 940 chopper. Not sure if this old dog can learn all these new tricks.. eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Got a new 6140 last year, nice upgrade. Still have the 4440. The neighbor put his new rig in the salt drain last year. It seems cell phones don't help with concentration.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ouch...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love those old deere tractors, that 4020 is the king. Unfortunately I have to settle for its little brother. 1972 820.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Toddly; 05/29/14.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I spent a lot of time on an old JD "B" when I was a kid. I really liked that old tractor.
I worked on a ranch in high school, and my choices for daily duty were an old Kabota, which was fine for small stuff,
a really old crank start Massey, that sucker would damn near break your arm when it started!! I hated that tractor!!
A newer yellow JD, (don't remember the number) with a front loader. That thing was a giant pos!!
And the old model B! Always started and always did what you wanted to do.

I had one spooky episode on that old tractor. I'd hauled a manure spreader, that we'd filled waaaay past full, out into a big field to spread.
The grass and weeds were pretty tall, so I didn't see the ditch the recent heavy rains had washed out in the field.
Moving along, entirely too fast, the front end dropped down into that ditch and threw me off...way out in front of the tractor!
I was laying there staring at the tractor trying to run me over!
I got out of the way, rushed over and killed it, but it had lost the spreader!

The old cowboy I worked for was a MEAN old drunk. I'm talking...whiskey for breakfast drunk. I was scared to death he'd find out. Pumped up on fear and adrenaline, I lifted the tongue of that full spreader back up on the hitch all by my 15 year old self!
Scot free!! No one will ever know!! Right...?
I got the load spread, and headed back to the farm...
Within a half hour I was curled up in excruciating pain having torn my stomach muscles!! There was no hiding it after that! wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Duckdog,

I sympathize having done something similar when young. Raking hay and watching the rake more than what was in front of me. Dad said, "that's why we don't cut the hay on the ditches so you can see them, pay attention! I didn't come off the machine but instead impaled myself on the steering wheel and bruised pretty much all my ribs/sternum. It sheared off the front axel...Dad wasn't happy with me...It might have been a good thing I needed to go see the Doc since I was having trouble breathing for a while, that deflected the anger a bit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
IIRC, the JD4020 was the first tractor introduced that got to 100 hp. At the time, IH only had a couple in the 75-85 hp range - the 560 and 660. JD got ahead in the game with that venerable 4020 and many are still running today. Although, on nearly every other farm in these parts one can still find an old M and H operating various minor machines.. Haven't seen too many JD As or Bs any longer.

Now there's GPS tracking, auto-steer, auto-throttle and other little electronic goodies that just boggle my feeble mind. I truly miss the good old days of simpler units with 100-140 hp. But, with small farms virtually gone and mega-farmers running thousands of acres, those types of machines can't do the job any longer. Kinda sad..

Actually the JD 5010 was the 1st 100 hp 2wd tractor and the John Deere 8010 was the 1st tractor on rubber to rate over 100hp. Before that there were several ag track tractors that were over 100hp

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Personally I think the high point for just usefulness of tractors probably topped out with the John Deere 4020. Since then tractors have definitely gotten more comfortable and higher horsepower. The 4020 for just purely doing what a tractor is for and all-around usefulness, has to be some sort of high-water mark. Another thing is that after that point a lot of the manufacturers started getting cute, IMO. They started programming scheduled maintenance in and things like that and researching ways to make parts go bad so you would have to buy new. I don't think there was much of that going on in say, 1970. By 1980 it was in full swing. Today's tractors are a lot more delicate and a lot more reliant on fragile, electronic technology than they were in '70 or so. And by now if you have tractors for serious use the 4020 and the like is just about too old. Stuff does wear out eventually and for everyday, hard use you sooner or later have to update to the stuff that is very difficult to work on yourself, which was the plan all along.

It is said that JD quit making the 4020 Diesel because they would not sell any more after everyone bought one. Not quite true, but they were a dang good tractor.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A new John Deere combine has 27 different sensors on it and when something goes wrong....it won't tell you WHICH sensor is bad!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 34 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,215
Posts18,503,958
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.