Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by add
Based on your wit B, perhaps pretty much anything by this fella:
http://www.amazon.com/David-Sedaris/e/B000AQ3YUW

My daughter gave me a copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day a few years ago.

The chapter titled, "You can't kill the Rooster" had me guffawing and stomping my foot.

I found part of it here:

http://www.youcantkilltherooster.com/stories.php?story=10&disp=f

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bristol,

One of the absolute best 'fiction' books I've ever read...

Doesn't take long to realize it's way too realistic not to be mostly autobiographical.

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I told her, "this guy writes like he was there with our family".

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Public libraries - you head down figuring you'll check out the one book you have in mind. Zip zop, in and out, 5 minutes.

Two hours later you head home with a stack of books checked out after having skimmed through probably 25 more.

I know e-readers are great, got nothing against'em, but I still like perusing through the shelves of a library and taking home a physical book or two (or three or four or five).

I completely agree. I do actually have a room that is my library and will never abandon completely hard copy tomes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
B.

Got to review my own "product", once.

RIOTOUS read, once one figures out the (totally authentic) vernacular.

Book Review, �Old Wolfville�, Chapters from the fiction of Alfred Henry Lewis

I came across something very special and probably rare a few weeks ago. In the process of getting a buddy�s black powder project happening, I managed to trade myself into three cases of books. The larger quantity are in six inch by nine inch paperback format, but there are also some beautiful clothbound hard cover examples as well. The icing on that sweet morsel is that some of the cloth bound books even have there original paper dust jackets! Let me quote a bit of text from the inner face of one of these very attractive artifacts:

� Alfred Henry Lewis (1858-1914) grew up in Ohio, became a lawyer, and then went west with his family, where he became an itinerant cowboy and journalist. These years of wandering the Southwest provided the material for his greatest yarns, a broad sampling of which are presented here.
Wolfville was in reality Tombstone, Arizona, in its heyday a crossroads of western life more populous than San Francisco. It was the town of the Earp brothers, Doc Holliday, and a colorful flow of other cowboys, gamblers, adventurers, cavalrymen, Indians, miners, and entertainers. They emerge in Lewis� stories as a memorable cast of characters � Doc Peets, Faro Nell, Dave Tutt, Texas Thompson, the town marshall Jack Moore, and the old Wolfville chief, Old Man Enright. But his most memorable character was the Old Cattleman who narrates most of the stories with an eye and ear as keen as a jackrabbit�s and a wit as dry as the desert air. �

And from the introduction �The West Belongs to All of Us� by Lewis Filler :

� Stand at the bar in the Crystal Palace Saloon in Tombstone, and order a drink. Look at the original bullet hole in the big, antique mirror. Let your mind relax and blur until you hear the tramp of cowboy boots in and out of the big bar, the pounding of the piano, the mounting roar of conversation about silver mines, dance hall girls, outlaws, roundups, famous westerners and unknowns � listen to the flip of the cards, the clatter of horses hooves outside, the routine sounds of what was once the main crossroads of cowboy country in the southwest. �

I�ve saved the best, for last. These books feature illustrations by Frederic Remington.

There aren�t many of �em, and I�m going to sell �em off on a first come , first served basis. They�ve been lurking somewhere close around, or in Tombstone, since 1968, and while they�re new, are somewhat �Shopworn�. Look at it this way, they�re all rubbed down with honest to goodness Cochise County, Arizona dust and grit, and there�s no extra charge for that. Note that the paperbacks are a little more beat up than the hard covered.

Paperbacked, in �Good� condition, $25.00 + $5.00 USPS Mailing

Cloth Bound, Hard Cover in Very good condition, with Dust Jacket,
$40.00 + $5.00 USPS Mailing

Horse trades on interesting artifacts, widgets, and assorted plunder entertained .

Greg *******

Since writing that, I've gifted about as many as I've sold. A small horde of "Fire Types" have em' now. Did YOU ever get a copy of this JEWEL ?
It's written in the vernacular of the times ,....e.g. the way they actually SPOKE, in those frontier outposts.

I traded BP for cases of books, which is a rather interesting back story.

If you don't have a copy, I'll fire one off in your direction,....doubt you'll find it on "Kindle".

PM an Addy

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/29/14. Reason: Delete missive that accompanied this review to one of the fairer sex. oops, GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm honored.

PM sent.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bristoe - it's a wonderful read.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
kaywoodie,

As far as I know, Scouting on Two Continents isn't still in print. But copies aren't hard to find.

Wifey just came in and told me she just ordered me a copy off amazon. I kinda dropped her the hint to put it on my wish list. She's too good to me! She ordered me my fav Remington arms co. Print the other day off eBay! The "right of way" model 8 print!!! I think it's one of the repros from the 60's!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"The Guards Themselves" and "Honor Among Thieves" by WF Waldrip, available on Amazon. In full disclosure, I am WF Waldrip.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got this one in todays mail, Will start reading tonight..
Purchased on recomendations from ranchers in Montana and Idaho

http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Wolf-Economics-Co-Existing/dp/159152122X

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by add
Based on your wit B, perhaps pretty much anything by this fella:
http://www.amazon.com/David-Sedaris/e/B000AQ3YUW

My daughter gave me a copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day a few years ago.

The chapter titled, "You can't kill the Rooster" had me guffawing and stomping my foot.

I found part of it here:

http://www.youcantkilltherooster.com/stories.php?story=10&disp=f

LOL

Yeah, I remember bits of that one...

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For the most part, an extraordinarily talented writer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lonesome Dove ------ Larry McMurtry
Soldier Ask Not ---- Gordon R Dickson
Kings Coat --------- Dewy Lambdin
Killer Angels

Last edited by ConradCA; 06/01/14.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm surprised this one has not popped up yet. kwg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anarchist_Cookbook

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The Rivers Ran East...... Leonard Clark

Book of Eskimos...... Peter Freuchen

Sacajawea (Lewis & Clark Expedition).... Anna L. Waldo

All super Non-Fiction books

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There is a lot of good military history being written now. New sources and the work of archeologist and reenactors have given recent historians views that are often very different from traditional scholarly historians. "A Devil of a Whipping", and "Long, Obstinate and Bloody" by Lawrence E. Babits about the American Revolution in the South are good examples. For pure entertainment, military oriented science fiction from David Weber (well researched) and Elizabeth Moon (a former Marine married to an ex Army officer) are my favorites.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm fascinated with the Guadalcanal campaign of WWII. One of the better books is "Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal".

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
How many of us read Tregaskis' book "Guadacanal Diary" when we were kids in school??? I think I first read it like in the 4th grade! That was like it back then!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I read "Guadacanal Diary" in elementary school,..but I didn't really understand the situation the Marines were in until much, much later.

It's kind of mind boggling to read up and soak all that stuff in,..and come to the realization that damn near everything planned by the American military leadership was a clusterfug,...including D-Day,..

But the rank and file military overcame, regardless.

As for the Marines who were doing the Island hopping,...they didn't really know what they were in for until Okinawa.

After Guadacanal and Peleliu, the Marines understood that there was somewhere around 100,000 Japanese troops on Okinawa,...and they pretty much had to kill every last one of them before they could go home.

Bushido didn't allow for surrender.

It was a tough lesson for the Marines to learn,...but they finally got it.

With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okanawa, by Eugene B. Sledge, is the best account of it that you'll find.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"The Longest Silence" by Thomas McGuane.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, Amos63, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 17 invisible), 1,090 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.