Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"West with the Night" by Beryl Markham is great for that age and especially for young women. She was one of if not the first female bush pilots in Africa. She worked with Bror Von Blixen as an Elephant spotter and several other notable PH's.

There are references to the Nairobi "Happy Valley" set but I don't think anything inappropriate.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Lions of Tsavo by JH Patterson
Hunting Grizzly ..... by Theodore Roosevelt (I can't remember the whole title, but I have it on my kindle so a search should find it.) Roosevelt's book is an easy read, but he is rather long winded and rambles sometimes.
Capstick's Death in Silent Places is a decent book if he/you are interested in several mini biographies on past African adventurers.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
"West with the Night" by Beryl Markham is great for that age and especially for young women. She was one of if not the first female bush pilots in Africa. She worked with Bror Von Blixen as an Elephant spotter and several other notable PH's.

There are references to the Nairobi "Happy Valley" set but I don't think anything inappropriate.

That is an excellent read and I have that book!

She also reputedly got a check every month from the British Royals as hush money to end an affair with Duke of Glochester, one of George V sons.

Did you know that

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hatari,

Another vote for Jim Corbett's "Man-eaters of Kumaon"!

Get it here at Amazon for the paperback, and they have the hardcover too.

I have read many of the suggestions above and do not disagree with any, but "Man-eaters of Kumaon" should be at the TOP of your list!

I recall visiting my Grandmother, and staying in my father's old room. At 12, I read the same copy of "Man-eaters of Kumaon" that my father read at the same age.

So, PM me your address and I will buy the book and get it shipped to you! Low payment for the many laughs your posts have brought me, and I'd be happy to have even a small role in your son's reading.

Serious offer -- and I mean the hardcover edition so your son can pass it along to his one day.

John

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hatari

That is an excellent read and I have that book!

She also reputedly got a check every month from the British Royals as hush money to end an affair with Duke of Glochester, one of George V sons.

Did you know that [/quote]

Didn't know that, I suspected there was quite a bit left untold. Also that she was more heavily involved in the early Nairobi social scene than is revealed in this book.

But it is good that it has a more or less "G" rating so that it is appropriate for younger readers.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Started "Death in the Long Grass" with him. Chapter 1 is on lions, specifically man-eaters.

I was a few years older than he is now when it came out, and I haven't read it for many years. It is well researched and written in the flowing, over-the-top urgent, sarcastic, tongue=in-cheek style that made Capstick popular. When I read that book nearly 40 years go, who would know it would lead to many trips to Africa, and even a friendship with PHC?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another BIG vote for anything Corbett.

PM sent

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
JJ is absolutely correct, "Maneaters of Kumaon" without a doubt. I read it at that age and a dozen times since then. No wonder I don't like or trust house cats after 60 years. -Muddy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd second Corbett and his tigers as well as the Lions of Tsavo.

Another great read, but it starts a little slowly for most kids is Osa Johnson's "I married adventure." That lady lived more in her years than anyone else I can think of.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/13/14.

1Minute
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That is a fantastic read! I found it about 4 years ago and was amazed at the story.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Started "Death in the Long Grass" with him. Chapter 1 is on lions, specifically man-eaters.

I was a few years older than he is now when it came out, and I haven't read it for many years. It is well researched and written in the flowing, over-the-top urgent, sarcastic, tongue=in-cheek style that made Capstick popular. When I read that book nearly 40 years go, who would know it would lead to many trips to Africa, and even a friendship with PHC?

which is why i recommend Hunter and Burger after someone has read Capstick.....both have a nice flowing style similar to PHC without the over the top stuff.....good next step from PHC for some one that is now "hooked"....

Last edited by rattler; 06/13/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by muddy22
JJ is absolutely correct, "Maneaters of Kumaon" without a doubt. I read it at that age and a dozen times since then. No wonder I don't like or trust house cats after 60 years. -Muddy

Corbett and Kenneth Anderson. Their stuff is still rotates off my shelf to the nightstand.

We have a cat in the house...I know she's trying to figure out how to sink her teeth into my neck and carry my fat dead body out the door. If she could read and figure out how to turn the pages of a book, Corbett's "The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag" would be all she'd need.

By the way, Corbett's works are online in at Internet Archive. They're free if you don't mind reading off a screen.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Found this post to be very interesting indeed as I will be taking my grandson to RSA April 2015 and have thought about a summer reading list that might peak his interest. Thank you all for the input. I have all of the Capstick books and a couple of Corbett. I will ask my grandson which he would like to read. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Old Man and the Boy. powdr

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nuthin' wrong with "The Old man and The Sea" and its only 125 pages. Another one I read at that age-Muddy

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
This is a great read and a good history lesson.

http://www.amazon.com/Journal-Trapper-Osborne-Russell/dp/0803251661

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 673, 17CalFan, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,322
Posts18,526,423
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.