Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Great photo's and even better Country!!! Thanks for sharing!!! I hope to be up there in August for a PLO hunt with my 12 year old daughter!!!!

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
i really enjoy the pictures. a lot of folks haven't been to a lot of Colorado and this give you an idea what the country looks like

The other post on 53 helps a lot also. not hunting either unit but now when someone mentions 53 or 54 i have an idea what they are talkign about

Last edited by Elkliver; 04/07/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pls excuse minor hijack.
Has anyone driven North from the Res up Red Creek on CR723 in Unit 54?
I'm wondering at what point that turns to 4WD, can you get near the Baldy Peaks, and how crowded with elk camps it is up there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
54 (and 53 for that matter) are tough to hunt on foot, at least that is if you are where the elk are (e.g.: steep, rocky, hard to get in and out of). I packed a 300" bull out of 53 on a hunt in '08 and just about didn't make it out. I've had to pass on 330"+ bulls in that unit, as recently as 2012 in 53, because of where they were and the temps at the time. Meat spoilage (and ACL tears for that matter) are real considerations on a Sept archery hunt in either of these units. Be prepared to have your butt kicked by unit 54, and start working out now. Focus on legs, back and core� take trekking poles and at least 50 ft of 440 paracord, and boots with a lot of ankle support for side hilling under a heavy pack� be prepared to bone and pack out an elk a long ways in some really tough country. Enjoy, be safe and good hunting.

God Bless America!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well...if we are sharing pics of 54....

[Linked Image]

My buddies 1st elk. I did more work then hunting that season but it was well worth it to put friends on game. You can get a general idea of grade of the area where elk are at.

More Castles shots

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More hints of how steep it is. That bull above was only 500 yards from the truck (very ragged edge of WEW) but it was 1200ft elevation change.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
OP Offline
C
We were successful, unit 54 lookout here we come!!
Thanks for the info and anymore you have would be much appreciated!! Once again Thanks and good luck to everyone else with there draws and hunts!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Pls excuse minor hijack.
I'm wondering at what point that turns to 4WD, can you get near the Baldy Peaks, and how crowded with elk camps it is up there.

Alamosa:

I've driven that road several times. Yes, you can access the Baldys from the end of the Red Creek road and that's the easiest way to do it. Drive all the way to the end of the road where it has been blocked off by a large berm. It's a pretty good road all the way.

Hike what's left of the old logging road beyond the berm until it goes around the corner and drops down into the flat area. Then walk north, through about 100 yards of trees and come out into a big meadow. You can see South Baldy on the north side of that meadow.

You can also get to the Baldys from the Rainbow Lake trailhead but it's about a mile farther.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crbaughman
We were successful, unit 54 lookout here we come!!
Thanks for the info and anymore you have would be much appreciated!! Once again Thanks and good luck to everyone else with there draws and hunts!

crbaughman:

Please post a hunt report when done. I'll be hunting the same area during the second and third rifle seasons. I'll appreciate any recon you can provide.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Pls excuse minor hijack.

Alamosa:

I've driven that road several times. Yes, you can access the Baldys from the end of the Red Creek road and that's the easiest way to do it. Drive all the way to the end of the road where it has been blocked off by a large berm. It's a pretty good road all the way.

Hike what's left of the old logging road beyond the berm until it goes around the corner and drops down into the flat area. Then walk north, through about 100 yards of trees and come out into a big meadow. You can see South Baldy on the north side of that meadow.

You can also get to the Baldys from the Rainbow Lake trailhead but it's about a mile farther.

KC

Either route will bring you to the meadow or saddle KC spoke of, South Baldy on the north and the gorge on the west. This was my first time in there, quite a sight for flatlanders!

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
That is a beautiful Picture and one to remember for sure!! Glad my daughter has the plo tag for 54, it is much flatter in the meadows. That looks like a great trip.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,852
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.