-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have let my starters (I had 4 varieties) all perish. Sad, I know. But my 20 year old college son is home for the summer and he loves sourdough pancakes.

Does anyone have a starter that they would like to share? Interesting stories come with starters too. ie. How old they are, and where it came from etc.

I hear that one can simply put a couple of tablespoons of starter on wax paper and let dry in a warm dark place. Then the dry flakes can be mailed.

Sound interesting to anyone?

Thanks,

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also quit using mine, if I had some I would gladly send some.
If you don't get any responses I will check with some friends and see if anyone has some to send.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can make starter with 1 package of active dry yeast dissolved in warm water (2 cups) then add 2 cups of flour and mix in a glass bowl. Keep in in a warm place for about a week and if it smells and looks decent (normal colored) You should be good to go. When you take some out put an equal amount back in with the exception of the yeast. Give this a try if you don't want to wait for anyone to send some. I find it works well with most sourdough recipes. I use unbleached flour for all my baking-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Another easy way to make a good starter is to boil a potato and pour the warm potato water into a glass bowl. Add a couple of cups of all purpose flour and perhaps a tablespoon of sugar. Stir. Cover the bowl with cheesecloth and let stand on your kitchen cabinet top for two or three days. Won't be long until you'll have a fine sourdough starter.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
There's a jillion sour dough recipes out there & everyone's is the best. For 40 years I've used 1 cup flour, 1 cup warm water, a tsp of dry yeast & 1/2 tsp sugar. We don't use it as much as we used to with all the kids gone so I make a fresh one the night before when they show up.

Dick

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Making a new starter is easy... flour, water, a little yeast plus some sugar (not too much) and in a few days or a week, that's your new "sourdough mother".

I always made a fairly large amount of "sourdough mother" so when I used a lot of it in recipes or pancakes for some of my 13 Grandkids who stayed over-night,, there was enough of the original "starter" left to make enough new "mother" to be almost immediately usable again.

The Grandkids LOVED to help make sourdough pancakes... or make 'em ALL themselves after they got old enough. My one Granddaughter (now in college) told me that she has many happy memories of those time we made "pancakes" together and, eventually, when she made them all by herself.

She and a couple of other "Grands" came down and stayed over-night after playing a game or two of Monopoly (the game we played when she was little) a few months ago... and she GRINNED her head off, the next morning, while sitting at the kitchen table, stirring up some new pancake batter (sans the sourdough "mother" because I got tired of "feeding" it and messing with it) for some tasty home-made pancakes. She was remembering all those times she did the SAME thing when she was much, much younger.

I wonder how many other people are as "lucky" as me to have the "nice memories" of our Grandkids talking and laughing while making sourdough pancakes at Grandpa's & Grandma's house after an "over-nighter"?!? grin

Yeah... I know... this is "off-subject", but that's ok 'cause us OLD GUYS are "allowed" to talk. nostalgically, about "the good ol' days"... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (12344mag, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,419
Posts18,528,269
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.