Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8908993 05/31/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been thinking I need a Cooper (JSR or Classic) ... Other than price, why would I not want one?? Thanks!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have a JSR. I have to admit the nice wood is hard to carry in the squirrel woods without worrying about damage to the finish, but I think I have finally gotten past that and can use the rifle as intended. These rifles look as good as they shoot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can't think of a single reason myself..
My Cooper 57m LVT.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
A Cooper likely makes the rest of your rimfires seem flawed and you will sell them off, only to miss a semi-auto or a truck gun that shot well. Then the cycle starts over again. Certainly like my Cooper sporter best, and the 455 and custom 10-22 are great backups to it that do well too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George,

I've got a Cooper custom classic in 17 HMR that is my pride and joy.

If your interested in a cooper come on down to Oregon and shoot mine. I'll even supply the ammo.

This is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, and the best looking. Period.

I know you like good looking, good shooting guns, so do yourself a favor and buy a Cooper. You won't regret it.

You may not sell all your other rimfires but a Cooper will be the "center" of your collection.

Virgil B.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They sure are nice. I have a JSR . Shoots well, but they will not make you sell your Annie's.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd love to have a nice cooper with upgraded wood but the price is just out of my reach for the time being.....
Wish I had bought them when they were "within reach".....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Other than price not really anything to dislike. I own 2,a Custom Classic and a LVT and both are exceptionally accurate with top notch fit and finish. I saved quite a bit on one by buying used.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geez, I think I just drooled on my keyboard. Absolutely gorgeous wood on those two! Thanks for the pics.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Beautiful.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like the Coopers a lot but for that kind of money I'll try to find an Anschutz 1710 or 1712 with really nice wood. They are out there in that price range.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I like the Coopers a lot but for that kind of money I'll try to find an Anschutz 1710 or 1712 with really nice wood. They are out there in that price range.

Why?? if I'm dumping that coin I'd like it to go a US company ...

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have also been toying with the idea of buying another Cooper 57, I had one a few years back and sold it (I couldn't hunt with a rifle that pretty) but these rifles have nearly doubled in price in just a few years and it's mighty hard for me to convince Myself to spend 2K on another rimfire that I don't really need.............Good luck.............Hb

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by avagadro

Your choice. I suppose it's because when I shot competition Anschutz was the standard for accuracy. I just have more confidence for better accuracy from the Anschutz.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
How do Cooper 22lr shoot with cheap ammo? I've always felt I needed 57M classic in order to move on from my CZ 453 American. Fortunate that the CZ shoots inexpensive ammo well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by avagadro

Your choice. I suppose it's because when I shot competition Anschutz was the standard for accuracy. I just have more confidence for better accuracy from the Anschutz.

I shot Walthers, Anschutz, and Winchester 52's in competition for many years. For competition rifles Anschutz are top tier, they constantly develop new stock styles and accessories. The great majority of Anschutz used in upper level competition are rebarreled, rebedded, and often restocked, the Anschutz barrels are pinned rather than threaded, most of the competition ones have the pins removed and the receivers threaded. Anschutz makes a great deal out of their match heritage but compairing their match rifles to a sporter rifle is sort of like comparing a NASCAR vehicle to a street-legal vehicle, they are not one and the same. Lilja even notes in their ads that the winning Anschutz use Lilja barrels.

I have owned a half-dozen 1710's and a couple of 1712's and currently my rimfire battery is made up of three Coopers, a 57M Jackson Hunter in 22 lr, a 57M LVT in 22 lr, a 57M LVT in 17 HMR. I honestly would not trade any one of them for twice as many Anschutz. The Anschutz 1700 series is a fine rifle, and many of the features of the Cooper 57M design are taken from the Anschutz design and it is in many ways an "improved" 1700 series. The Cooper has a better tang design, the extractors are pinned and powered by coil springs rather than the C-Clip spring, the bolt disassembles like the Anschutz. On the Cooper the magazine and and associated assembly are Anschutz. You can almost think of the Cooper 57M as an American Anschutz.

Accuracy wise I have not been able to tell any difference between a 1700 series Anschutz and a Cooper 57M. Where the Cooper shines is in the fit and finish, even the plainest Cooper stock is generally significantly better wood than the Anschutz. A couple of my 1710's were Meistergrade and the stock on them was not as good and any of my standard grade wood Coopers. The stock style of the Coopers has a greater selection. And importantly, if you should happen to have an issue, the customer service at Cooper is outstanding. If you have an issue with an Anschutz you had better hope you have a good dealer because the factory is not going be of much help. (personal experience speaking on the Anschutz issue)

Moey wise they are about the same but the Coopers seem to be appreciated more than the Anschutz. Just my two-cents,

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I, too, have owned a bunch of high end .22LR's. The Cooper Classic I now have is a keeper. My others went down the road. I do have an Annie 1717 in .17 HMR that's a great gun.

To me, the Cooper is the best .22LR rifle on the market. It's super accurate, giving the best of the best a run for the roses. It will handle any ammo, isn't finicky like the 40X sporter I once had. The trigger is super, the action is very well designed and made, the fit and finish is top of the line. It's relatively light weight and handles very well.

You might get the idea I'm a Cooper fan... cool

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/02/14.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I agree with everything you said. To add, the older (West German) Annies seemed a little better as far as the barrels are concerned.

As someone ask earlier, I do have a 54 sporter that is more forgiving with the various brands/styles of ammo than my other heavy barrel Annies,52's and the 541's.

That said, all the guns mentioned here so far that I have will outshoot my Kimber. I do not sell guns, so that Kimber will probably go to my granddaughter.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I picked up a jackson 22lr used here on the fire a couple months ago and am very impressed. Took it on its first hunt this weekend and really enjoyed carrying it. Unlike most other rifles, it leaves nothing to be desired.

I only worry about scratches if I am planning to resell. Buy one of these beauties and use it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ejo
I picked up a jackson 22lr used here on the fire a couple months ago and am very impressed. Took it on its first hunt this weekend and really enjoyed carrying it. Unlike most other rifles, it leaves nothing to be desired.

I only worry about scratches if I am planning to resell. Buy one of these beauties and use it.

You talk about scratch's on your stock. In the barnyard I keep a REM 581. If you are not familiar with it, it is a stained maple stock, low polish 541. With a full 24" barrel, you can shoot subsonics without making the dogs bark. Scratches on your Cooper are upsetting, but it feels good hunting with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,967
Posts18,499,261
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.