Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The Real Hawkeye,

The one torture test the Aimpoint failed repeatedly?????

[bleep] attacks.

Seriously.

Your Eotech if you keep your batteries fresh and a spare set obviously, a mounted high lumen flashlight, and a low power illuminated tactical 1-4x20 or 1-6x20 or 24 scope with QR mounts for longer ranges in your rucksack, and you are set. You could call it an upgrade to the mini Aimpoint because of it's light weight and unreal battery life if you chose to pay out $600 extra.

Best

Slasher

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would you have a red dot and an illuminated 1-Something in your pack?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The 4 to 6 power is for 300 or 400 yards and a lot of us older folks are just skipping the EoTechs and Aimpoints due to deteriorating vision and going straight to the wide field of view of a 1x from a 1-4 or 1-6 scope mounted full time for short range, while it covers long range situations, too.

The Real Hawkeye already has an EoTech.

If he is concerned about shooting at longer ranges, a QR compact scope would be an option.

I thought it would be logical that someone would ask that....someone much younger than us old codgers whose eyes can fail and not even make good use of a larger sized MOA red dot. All kinds of problems arise with this as you age.

Hope that explains it.

He could go straight to the scope and sell his EoTech if he chose.

I'd prefer to use the EoTech or Aimpoint but my vision has changed too much.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
For a tactical carbine intended for serious work, which do you prefer and why?

EoTech 556 NV compatible for indoors, if I go outside I screw a 2.5-10x24 NF to the rail for more precise shooting.

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slasher

The Real Hawkeye,

The one torture test the Aimpoint failed repeatedly?????

[bleep] attacks.

Seriously.

Your Eotech if you keep your batteries fresh and a spare set obviously, a mounted high lumen flashlight, and a low power illuminated tactical 1-4x20 or 1-6x20 or 24 scope with QR mounts for longer ranges in your rucksack, and you are set. You could call it an upgrade to the mini Aimpoint because of it's light weight and unreal battery life if you chose to pay out $600 extra.

Best

Slasher

How's this for an old school, low power, scope?

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You had the right stuff all along- a tad dated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're gonna have two optics, I'd do a red dot and something like a 2.5-10 or 4-12.

If you buy a quality 1-4 or 1-6 (with a good eye box and field of view) I'd just skip the red dot altogether. I used my 1-6 in a rifle class last December and never had a problem shooting with the red dot guys.

To answer the original question, I much prefer the Eotech reticle. But I definitely get a newer version with the transverse CR123 battery. They're supposed to be much more reliable.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Old school?

At one time, a rock was state of the art... Things progress, lessons are learned and improvements are made. Move forward or get left behind.

However old school does not have to be obsolete. Whatever you choose just be sure to practice, practice, practice.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if you need your gun quickly can you really afford the time to swap optics, or even turn "on" a sight. I really want an EO Tech and when they make one where the battery lasts 50,000 hours or it turns on when you pick up the gun I will buy it. Other than that no I think they are just something else you have to screw with in an emergency.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You can quickly depress a rubber button while shouldering the rifle, and like Blue said, the 123 batteries last, but, I have never understood the battery life concerns anyway, it doesnt take that long to shoot.

Also, I can plainly view my flipups thru the EoTech should it become unusable or you dont have enough time to unscrew it for removal via the knurled thumb screw.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My friend has a few of the EO's and while I like them very much, I just don't want to be looking for button number 2, its personal preference. I leave my T1 on all the time and just replace my battery once a year in January but I think they will go about 5 years on the same battery.

Its certainly just a matter of familiarity I am sure to a home owner with a home invasion going on that an extra second to push the button will not matter.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had a fixed 6 Weaver on my 16" carbine and it was all I needed to reach 500 yards. I swapped it out with a 2x7 Redfield last month and got some rapid transition sights, (the cheap knockoffs). I REALLY REALLY like this set up. REALLY. I will probably save some money and get the high quality Dueck RTS sights in a couple of months.

The Redfield seems just right for size and weight and eye box and eye relief... with a plain reticle and covered turrets. Did not break the bank either.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, familiarity goes a long way in these situations.

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nothing wrong with a Aimpoint Comp C3, Comp ML3 or Comp 4
You don't have to go T1, its not like any of them are huge and the other models listed have a larger FOV and can usually be found cheaper.

Aimpoint all the way over Eotech for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You recon you could cover the exit of an aimpoint and it would still be accurate to hit things with just looking at the dot? I mean with zero FOV and all of that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When shooting my red dot equipped AR's under about 50 yds I naturally shoot with both eyes open without difficulty. Never tried it any further.

My old man has a vintage Single Point sight on an M1 carbine that the objective end is a glass bubble with a angled red plastic piece inside. It lets a little light in to form an red "dot" but you can't actually see through it. Works fine with both eyes open as long as you don't wait to long to fire or the dot will start moving

Review of Single Point with pics
http://shootery.blogspot.com/2010/07/moldy-oldie-review-singlepoint-sight.html?m=1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
My Aimpoint M68 took repeated beatings from the veiwing end of my fat @ss, gear, and a 200 pound armored seat slamming up and down on the mount and tube several times over a year period with no change in zero. I really thoght the Aimpoint mount would give, but it never moved. I have the same mount on a rifle now, with no issues.

I had an EoTech that survived a tour in Iraq on the streets before I bought it, and two short tours in Afghanistan with me. It was used hard and looked it. Only sold it to get a newer revision with the side lounted controls.

Battery life on both are acceptable, Aimpoint batteries are usually a bit harder to find over-the-counter, but they last well, especially if you swap out the cap for a dual cell version.

EoTech for me are "N" cells, double "AA"s and now one with the parallel C123s. I haven't had a problem with battery life, YMMV.

Of the two, I prefer the EoTechs for the FOV, and the lack of darkness looking through the Aimpoint tube. Yes, I shoot it both eyes open, but the darker tube can cause my non-dominant eye to take over if the lighting conditions are right. Maybe it's just me.

I had a T-1 for about a year, it was much better than the M68 for the light through the tube. I didn't beat it around, so I don't know how durable to rate it. I did like the size and the location of the controls.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Of the two, I prefer the EoTechs for the FOV, and the lack of darkness looking through the Aimpoint tube. Yes, I shoot it both eyes open, but the darker tube can cause my non-dominant eye to take over if the lighting conditions are right. Maybe it's just me.

It isn't "just you", some folks just see through an Eotech better than an Aimpoint's tube. I would agrue that your comparison of both optic's longevity doesn't reflect the larger reality. Pat Rogers has stated that he sees a dozen Eotechs go down for every Aimpoint.

I worked a gig last year where the client was using the new Eotech that uses 123's. The units still have a propensity for turning themselves off, IIRC this can be reset but I never looked it up. The "start-up" sequence on it would keep me from buying one for a house gun.

If it'll work for your eyes, the Aimpoint that uses a AA looks like the "buy once, cry once" answer to me.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 06/03/14.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
TAK - what's the feedback on the T-1/H-1s for durability?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AH64guy
TAK - what's the feedback on the T-1/H-1s for durability?

I only know one person who has one. A MARSOC unit came through where a friend works and they were running them on one o'clock mounts ahead of ACOG's. I'll try to find out their opinions of them next time I work around them.

I've read that battery life is off the charts, as in years, constant on, they use a common 2032 that you can find most anywhere

Didn't Vickers have one of those on that DD gun they destructo tested?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,600
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.