Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Looks like a great year for the rafters, but the rivers won't settle down for fishing until mid to late July:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little lower, just outside the park:

[Linked Image]

These are hard to see but I had to snap some 18" cutthroats stacked up at the inlet stream:

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hey smoke...

At what elevations were the elk pics taken?

I hope this bodes well for the upcoming elk season.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don, the cow was above timberline, 12,000 or so. There were just two cows that we saw up there. I was surprised to see them that high this early but I'm no elk biologist. The bull was around 9,000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it looks like the trout fishing is going to be great in Aug and Sept with good water levels. The streams here where I live are at good levels going into June. The Mountian Laurel is starting to bloom and that means its Alder time. I hope to be able to get out to the Frying Pan this Sept.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I hope to be able to get out to the Frying Pan this Sept.

Now I'm kicking myself for not going in April.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm trying to get down Gunnison way in June, but it might be to early.

Lot of snow on Pikes Peak yet

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To fish the salmon flies?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
To fish the salmon flies?

No, I want to go into the West Elk Wilderness area from Mill Creek, instead of Swampy Pass that I usually go to.

Try some fishing in Castle Creek, maybe all the way to Costa Lake.

Mostly though to check out a new route to going into where I elk hunt. I have ML tag for cow elk, Unit 12, but will try to get one of those 500 OTC either sex tags for 2nd season in 54.

If not a left over "B" cow tag.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Don, the cow was above timberline, 12,000 or so. There were just two cows that we saw up there. I was surprised to see them that high this early but I'm no elk biologist. The bull was around 9,000.

Thanks.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This was Pikes Peak this morning:

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good sig. line Wyo. When I was fresh out of school and back east I once had a new boss from Wyoming. When I met him I said "I've always wanted to see Wyoming." Whereupon he replied "what the hell for?"

I knew right then he was off. To this day he's still the biggest douche nozzle boss I ever had. No doubt still back east.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The "Mighty" Colorado is out of it's banks in Palisade, CO. Lots of debris, even whole trees headed to Lake Powell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are heading to Estes Park this coming Saturday. Plan on coming down to Pikes Peak one day thru the week. Im ready to see some snow. I honestly hate hot, muggy weather like we have here in E. Tn

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
May not hit the Salmon fly hatch in the Black Canyon as they are doing the big flush and ramping up to 9,000 cfs. Fishing is a no go for 10 days. I fear that the Hatch is going on with no one to fish it. May catch the tail end. But, if you have ever hit it dead on you know the tail end is not even close.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Never have fished that hatch but it's on my list. The canyon is a special place.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

On Sunday, I did some day hiking up to 9,400' in the West Elk Wilderness. Lots of isolated snow drifts, melting and creating mud, puddles, marshes, ponds, etc. Every little gully is trickling water and the perennial creeks are raging. Heard lots of tiny frogs croaking, and singing.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I want to go into the West Elk Wilderness area from Mill Creek, instead of Swampy Pass that I usually go to.

I have ML tag for cow elk, Unit 12, but will try to get one of those 500 OTC either sex tags for 2nd season in 54.

saddlesore:

I have a second season buck tag for unit 54. I meet you in the Mill Creek parking lot. I'll have a small Casita travel trailer setup there.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by KC

I want to go into the West Elk Wilderness area from Mill Creek, instead of Swampy Pass that I usually go to.

I have ML tag for cow elk, Unit 12, but will try to get one of those 500 OTC either sex tags for 2nd season in 54.

saddlesore:

I have a second season buck tag for unit 54. I meet you in the Mill Creek parking lot. I'll have a small Casita travel trailer setup there.

KC

Hey, that is great. We will be camping there and riding in every day. I plan to go down this summer some time and do a shake down cruise with my new to me pop up slide in camper, bumper pull horse trailer and two new smaller mules.

I need to get everything loaded up and see if I need air bags on my truck.

Vince

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/03/14.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I plan to go down this summer some time and do a shake down cruise with my new to me pop up slide in camper, bumper pull horse trailer and two new smaller mules.

Vince:

Give me a couple of days notice and I'll go with you.

KC

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Will do.

Vince

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 160user, 338rcm, 29 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,584
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.