Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
do power to weight ratio... running rpms ...gear box or not? fuel tank size ......then off u go ! "A canoe is not designed to plane" ...truer words were never spoken.

Last edited by atvalaska; 06/01/14.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
2 stroke will be lighter. I have had a 15 HP merc that has never failed me. It sat for 7 years In a barn and when I got it out to use it again, fresh gas an it started 3 rd pull

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've got an Briggs 5hp on my 12' Smoker Craft alum boat and an electric motor. I use it on shallow type lakes for bass, crappie, and pike fishing. I really like the electric motor for small lakes far better than any combustion motor. It's so handy and plainly awesome for getting in near the shore or running after ducks in ponds.

As per the 5hp Briggs, motor, it works and is quite slow. It vibrates really bad and is really an low end boat motor. So with my setup it works just fine and economically for me on shallow type lakes and that's where I keep it.

In bigger deeper water I'd really look at Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda. The Briggs just doesn't have the power and IMO the reliability to be in an place where you depend on your motor, and that's why keep the electric with me and an big battery.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still trying to wear out my Evinrude Lightwin 3hp....fugger won't die and going on 60 years old

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
on my Grumman freighter square stern, I have a 4 hp johnson for just dinking around

and older 15 hp Honda for getting serious to use it to haul a moose, another guy and gear out.

but if you put the Honda on it by yourself you best have some ballast rocks up front!

am thinking the 8hp Honda woulda been a one motor better overall choice, but that's hindsight

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What length Grumman Freighter do you have?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We used to truck top this boat and motor.
8 hp Johnson 2 stroke 56 lbs.
12' T12V-.............153 lbs.

Worked great. Hasn't been in water since 05. Thinking about selling.
[Linked Image]

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Truck-topping ANY fishing craft is a schidt-storm. Being able to load the boat, even a canoe, the night before, all rods/tackle/cooler secured, and just drive off is priceless. I even have an UL aluminum trailer for my canoe. One of my take-out spots enables me to walk the trailer down a steep hill to load my canoe, without unloading the contents, and haul it by hand back up a road too rough to drive down to the parking area.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
The Honda 2.3 hp is looking pretty sweet. They want a princely sum for it, but its the lightest. I think I am sold on the NuCanoe 12' frontier. Think I'm gonna order tomorrow.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In high school I had a 17ft aluminum canoe and a 5hp Briggs and Stratton (???) two stroke on a stern-mounted sideboard. That thing planed and hauled a$$, way beyond the design intent of the canoe, but luckily we was immortal back then. We would charge the wakes of the big boats on the Lower Hudson, if you were in front you'd go airborn grin

Here's my present 13 footer with a Honda 2hp......

[Linked Image]

The most it will do with two people aboard is maybe 6 or 7mph, above efficient hull speed but not enough to plane.

Same canoe, MinnKota 40lb thrust marine motor....

[Linked Image]

At full throttle with a fresh battery you're talking 4mph, maybe 4.5 Just about efficient hull speed.

'Nother problem I have with trolling motors is, with a gas motor I can look at how much gas I have in the boat and know pretty much how far I can go. With a trolling motor you are never certain. OTOH it sure is cool to cruise along the shoreline dead silent.

I wouldn't dream of crossing a body of water as famously treacherous as Yellowstone Lake with a trolling motor.

Other's MMV,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Birdwatcher:

Thanks for that info. Very helpful. Can't find a negative review on the little Honda anywhere. The boat I am liking is a 12' kayak/canoe hybrid (called NuCanoe). And you're right: crossing Yellerstone on my set up (if I purchase) is foolhardy. I'll have to hug the shoreline. I'd do it on a 17' aluminum freighter with a 5hp motor, but not a little set up like I am thinking of buying.

Jordan

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I passed on test driving the used 2 H.P. Honda last night. He said he couldn't budge from $550. I'm going with the new Suzuki 2.5 horse. Just a matter of where I'm going to buy it at this point.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
The Zuke is nice. I'm looking to save every pound and I think the Honda is a tad lighter.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Damn. The Zuke is lighter than the Honda---29 vs. 31 lbs. I need to check it out.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Whoops. 29 lbs vs. 29.5 for the short shaft, in favor of the Zuke (half pound lighter----and alot less money).

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
I passed on test driving the used 2 H.P. Honda last night. He said he couldn't budge from $550. I'm going with the new Suzuki 2.5 horse. Just a matter of where I'm going to buy it at this point.

You should've bought it. Considering where you live though, a 15'4" Gheenoe with an 8hp would be a better skinny water boat.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

You should've bought it. Considering where you live though, a 15'4" Gheenoe with an 8hp would be a better skinny water boat.

The Honda is 7 yrs. old @ $550. The new Suzuki is $709 out the door with a 3 yr. warranty. My skanoe, gheenoe, whatever the hell it's called, was given to me as a bonus on a job that I brought in under budget. It is only rated for up to 5 h.p.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I forgot you already had a boat. I'm sure the Zuki will serve you well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I went to my local Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki dealership yesterday. I told the salesman I was interested in the 2.5 Suzuki. He said they didn't stock that motor since they have the 2.3 Honda @ $1074 + tax, which in his words, "runs circles around the Suzuki". He said by the time they special ordered from Suzuki, it would be about the same price as the Honda.

Here's the kicker (pun?): As I was leaving, the salesman said, and I quote, "I can't really blame you for wanting the Suzuki, I have one on my boat. But you really should buy this Honda"!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had a 2.5 H.P. Suzuki for 5 years now and I like it. Its been a good motor.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 60 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.