Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 26 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 25 26
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
For crying out loud, if you can shoot the 375 Weatherby well and are confident using it, then why even bother with this "smallest caliber for a Kodiak brown bear" nonsense? You asked for some opinions and got them.

If I were headed out on a guided brown bear hunt, Phil would be the first one i'd ask about caliber choice. It's the guides ass that's on the line if something goes awry during the hunt and the last thing i'd want is to have my guide have to go in some nasty alder tag after a wounded brown bear.

Read what Phil has to say about the subject, I can't think of anyone more qualified on the matter.

X2... I always enjoy reading what Mr.Shoemaker has to add. His experience is tough to argue with.

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Interesting read from Alaska Fish & Wildlife: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms

This article makes too much sense.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Somebody has to start talking about, and comparing, muzzle energy.

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
Somebody has to start talking about, and comparing, muzzle energy.

wink

I'll bite. Pick the biggest, highest S.D. premium bullet that you can launch at 2400fps@ the muzzle, chambered in a rifle that actually fits you, that you can run like lightning without thinking about it, and you can actually hit stuff with from field positions.

That'll be enough energy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Phil, 35th year guiding for Brownies? I thought you just turned 41? :-)

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Its funny how some things never change in these kinds of debates. The takeaway here for me is that we have been "oversold" on the necessity for magnum calibers. Once again the versatility of the 30-06 is on display.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/04/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It appears that you missed my point.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
You've shot one frigging bear, and come on here like you have some sort of a clue. How dare you question Phil.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
This is really funny, knowing where you are getting your info... Over-moderation is a long way from an open forum. They only let you say your ridiculous stuff and strut because they make sure everybody gets to do the same without any questioning...

It is only when forced to defend statements that everyone gets to see how ridiculous they might be. Many will fail to recognize just how stupid a comment is until the right questions are asked of the poster.

That is actually a free forum... not some glee club for only those that want to hold hands and play nice.

Otherwise you end up with protected clueless idiots claiming to be ballistic gurus with no concept of spin dynamics. Or physicists claiming some unknown force goes into their gunsafe to move dry salt around.

Yeah, that is a great way to gain knowledge, for sure...

A quick Google search for Brown Bear hunting cartridges shows that you have posted up about your hunt on nearly every forum available. And that's about all you've posted about. We can forgive you for this, as maybe that's all you're interested in posting about.

You Googled me!? LOL. Pathetic. You didn�t� catch my 1987 deer hunt in NE Kansas? My 2002 pig hunt in New Mexico? My 1988 Kansas deer hunt? My 2004 Colorado hunt? My 2003 Colorado hunt? My 2009 Maryland hunt? My 2013 Virginia deer hunt? My 2012 combo hunt? The others? Shocking. It also doesn�t reflect my military experience with small, medium, and large ordinance taking out various objects with varying levels of success.

I spent a lot of time researching for my last AK hunt on the AK Outdoor forum (and found my guide on there) because I was researching an exceptional (for me) hunt. So I posted my results on that hunt. I�m not a bear-experienced guide, but my guide (involved on over 40 BB kills) thinks (wrong or right) that a decent caliber beginning with a �3� is the minimum for what he wants his clients to bring. He�s neither right, nor wrong, but that is his opinion and very many people agree (right or wrong).

The point isn�t about moderation or not. It�s about civility. It�s not an insane opinion that something starting with .30 cal. is a lower reasonable limit for a brown bear hunt. It�s about civility. Even if considered by some as too high, it�s not crazy. It�s even probably a majority opinion of guides and others. But, for some to disagree with that is fair game and they can make their case that it is a better view. But, the response is �how dare you� have an opinion. It�s a forum, not a singular opinion-killing publication where one view (even if a favorite) is the only view. Right? And anyone who has even a slightly different view is chastised by followers. A forum?

On other forums, I don�t get the level of incivility there is on here, where you are chastised, not because you are not civil, but because you with civility raise a view or question.

I can�t believe, unless you PG are a serial killer hermit, that you confront people in that same way in normal life. �You think the Spurs might beat the Heat? What! You jerk, Jackson already said that Heat are better. How dare you!?� Silly. People in normal talk don�t do that. It�s just geeky internet talk. You�re not that way in real life, right? You just do that on the internet?

As I said before, picking a minimum BB caliber is difficult and subjective because there is no caliber that will never kill a BB and there is no caliber that will always do so. So, it�s pretty subjective. But for one to take a reasonable mainstream view and then, of all things, PG Googles the source and trying to find a personal basis to attack a mainstream view is pretty silly.

I have two young boys, who occupy a lot of my time, as I take them shooting, go to baseball games, etc � I also spend 50-60 hours a week at work (the only reason I can hunt in AK) and provide for my family. Unlike many, whom I envy, I do dozens of hunts per hear in AK. One category of time I don�t have is to Google the experiences (obviously incomplete) of an internet poster with whom I disagree, to gain a geeky internet attack advantage. Trust me, I will never try to Google your life experiences PG to see if I can "get you" you publicly and to discount your mainstream views on caliber choice for a particular game. That would be silly and take away from real life. You took time out of your life to Google me? Pathetic. I have a view. You have a view (is it based on any experience?). It is what it is, but I�m not insane enough to Google you to try to �defeat� you on an internet forum. Writing this took way too much time, but I certainly would not Google you to try to gain a forum-attack to show whether something above or below a .30 cal. was a subjective reasonable BB minimum hunting caliber.

Phil has an opinion that is as good as any around, and I don�t think I even disagreed with him. But there are many exceptional guides who have minor disagreements about things, like subjective minimums. But no one �dare� discuss that here. On a "forum."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've never Googled your sorry ass. About every Brown Bear hunt or cartridge discussion that has comes up over the past several years, you've gotta post on. On several forums.

I only get this way with know it all blow hards who've only been on a dozen hunts in their life, then come on the internet and spout off like they know something.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Civility is your concern? Or is it just getting your feelers hurt because when folks read this:

"Will a .270 Win or 30-06 work on BB? Absolutely. But I'm not one of those guys who can't shoot anything with more recoil. It just takes practice and focus."

They read EGO...

In case they missed it in the first part of the first post there was also this:

"Bigger is better. If you can hit with it. And many, with practice, can hit well with rifles up-to or beyond the .375 H&H."

Of course the fact guides are constantly pointing out the frequent failures with clients shooting more gun than they can tolerate, but that means nothing compared to the EGO involved.

Then you pontificate a bit more with:

"How many BB have you shot? While you criticize others' opinions?"

With how many bears behind you? That's right, it screams EGO.

Over and over you patiently explain how well you shoot medium bores... Still ignoring the repeated complaints of experienced guides with hunters packing more recoil than they can tolerate...

And then you state:

"In my experience, the useful forums are where people discuss topics openly without fear that they might be accused of "daring to question" something, especially if they aren't really questioning it, but just discussing the factors and limits."

You are not questioning anything. You are stating that everyone else is wrong and the medium bores are much better than the '06 class, from 277 on up. Based on an experience of one on the larger end, rather than actually experiencing what can truly be done on the smaller side.

You fail to grasp the very important distinction there, obviously.

Maybe you missed the fact Phil put your misunderstanding about his experiences with the 30-06 to bed as he has repeatedly over time.

Many guides use 30 caliber stuff for back-up for bears.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My take away from all of this? Shot placement trumps caliber� but we all already knew that, right? Make a good first shot� If it makes sense on a whitetail it makes sense on a brown bear. Put a bullet through the vitals and death is sure to follow. I'm a believer in the "hunt with as much gun as you can shoot accurately and confidently" theory. To some that's a .223, to others that's a .458WinMag� to me that's an FN built Win M70 CRF in .338WM�

Foxx

God Bless America!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by redfoxx
My take away from all of this? Shot placement trumps caliber� but we all already knew that, right?

Apparently not, 'cause you can't hit what you can't see. That reality eludes some it appears.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Civility is your concern? Or is it just getting your feelers hurt because when folks read this:

"Will a .270 Win or 30-06 work on BB? Absolutely. But I'm not one of those guys who can't shoot anything with more recoil. It just takes practice and focus."

They read EGO...

"Bigger is better. If you can hit with it. And many, with practice, can hit well with rifles up-to or beyond the .375 H&H."

Of course the fact guides are constantly pointing out the frequent failures with clients shooting more gun than they can tolerate, but that means nothing compared to the EGO involved.

Over and over you patiently explain how well you shoot medium bores... Still ignoring the repeated complaints of experienced guides with hunters packing more recoil than they can tolerate...

And then you state:

"In my experience, the useful forums are where people discuss topics openly without fear that they might be accused of "daring to question" something, especially if they aren't really questioning it, but just discussing the factors and limits."

You are not questioning anything. You are stating that everyone else is wrong and the medium bores are much better than the '06 class, from 277 on up. Based on an experience of one on the larger end, rather than actually experiencing what can truly be done on the smaller side.

Maybe you missed the fact Phil put your misunderstanding about his experiences with the 30-06 to bed as he has repeatedly over time.

Your post nicely describes my thoughts on the matter.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

They read EGO...

And then you state:

Your post nicely describes my thoughts on the matter.

Damn, who'da thunk that?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is just what I seem to have obeserved over the years I have been shooting; It's not uncommon for someone to be able to shoot a fairly heavy caliber at the range, where there is no stress or pressure or adrenalin, but put that same person in a game field where he is concentrating more on an animal than on shooting technique, that person is more apt to flinch.
That might account for why many guides are skeptical of clients with big rifles. During a brief stint working a gun counter, I lost track of the times a customer would assure us that "recoil didn't bother him", and when we had him dry fire, he'd jump a mile as the rifle clicked.
The old saw "I don't feel recoil when I'm shooting at an animal" is downright silly, because flinches are over and done with before the rifle recoils. Flinches don't occur in reaction to the pain of recoil, they occur in anticipation of recoil.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There has to be a Field & Stream article about minimum calibers for brown bear. That should settle everything.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There has to be a Field & Stream article about minimum calibers for brown bear. That should settle everything.

Maybe I could submit one, listing minimum caliber for interior Grizzlies as well as minimum calibers for 8 foot brown bears, 9 foot bears and 10 foot bears. Might even through in some for the mythical 11, 12 and 13 foot bears.

Of course we would have to list appropriate minimum caliber for women as well in case some guy wants to get a rifle for the little woman so she can hunt with him.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Would not work- To be an expert on bear rifles you have to be from the lower 48, east of the Missippi River and below the Mason Dixon line

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I�ve never Googled your sorry ass. About every Brown Bear hunt or cartridge discussion that has comes up over the past several years, you�ve gotta post on. On several forums.

I only get this way with know it all blow hards who�ve only been on a dozen hunts in their life, then come on the internet and spout off like they know something.

Okay. I have read scores of posts on brown bear hunts for every few that I have commented on. I could easily prove that. But it would be a stupid pissing contest.

When someone �spout[s] off like they know something,� you mean have an opinion? On a forum which is, I think, to solicit opinions. So that makes you �get this way�?

�Will a .270 Win or 30-06 work on BB? Absolutely. But I�m not one of those guys who can�t shoot anything with more recoil. It just takes practice and focus.�

They read EGO...

�Bigger is better. If you can hit with it. And many, with practice, can hit well with rifles up-to or beyond the .375 H&H.�

�How many BB have you shot? While you criticize others� opinions?� �

Sitka, I said, as you quoted, above that a .270 �absolutely� can work. I didn�t say that using a .270 is wrong. My opinion was fairly reasonable that one might want to consider other options. My further point was just that �MANY, with practice, can hit well with rifles up-to or beyond the .375 H&H.� Meaning most. Meaning a normal guy, if he puts in the time. No ego there. I�m just saying that a lot of people, like I used to, have a mythical fear of recoil until they try a bigger gun. When I first got my .340, I was just like them. I took it to the range and was nervous about even pulling the trigger. I had bought some cartridges with lighter 200gr bullets, I tried first. It was nothing like I thought. Then, I put the 250gr rounds in and had no trouble. I had a shoulder pad on and even put a 1-lb bipod on for range purposes to absorb recoil, and it was nothing like I feared. I was just trying to make the point that a bigger gun might not be as bad as most normal people fear. I was trying to say that just about anyone else can do it. That�s not ego. I wasn�t saying that I can do something few others can, but that many (most) can do it if they just give it a try.

It probably won't work if you buy a big rifle, shoot it a few times, and then take it hunting. But it probably will work if you shoot a few hundred focused rounds through it. I'm talking about a .338, not a 700 Nitro.

As to the �How many BB have you shot?,� that was in response to someone who hasn�t shot any, and is criticizing me for lack of experience. For someone who hasn�t shot any, he is relying completely on word of mouth. That�s not necessarily bad. Word of mouth can be good. But to rely on some experience and word of mouth can�t be worse, can it? I never criticized his opinion based completely on word of mouth, he condemned me for having any opinion at all.

Originally Posted by Royce
This is just what I seem to have obeserved over the years I have been shooting; It�s not uncommon for someone to be able to shoot a fairly heavy caliber at the range, where there is no stress or pressure or adrenalin, but put that same person in a game field where he is concentrating more on an animal than on shooting technique, that person is more apt to flinch.

Forgive me for having a different experience, but from my own experiences, from others I have talked to, and even what I have read, recoil can be a PITA at the range shooting multiple shoots at a piece of paper, but I have never, ever noticed it while shooting at an animal. When I was 19, and could not afford a rifle, I hunted deer with a 12ga Rem. 870. Some of the slugs were abusive (probably more than my .340 or .375), and I practiced with them anyway. When I shot deer though, I never, ever even felt the recoil. Same with later hunts with my .300 Win. Mag. When I was focusing on a paper bullseye with my .375 over and over again, I would have to focus hard to gain the modest satisfaction of making a small group of holes on a piece of paper 100-200yds away. But, when I was aiming at the bear, I felt like I was shooting a Crossman pellet rifle. I don�t think I am alone in this.

There may be exceptions, and I am just saying that some may want to try other options out that are bigger than what they otherwise might.

Everyone is different. On a given day, some people might shoot pool or a basketball better when in a contested match. Others might do better when no one else is around. Everyone is different, but I don�t think it�s a vast majority of hunters who flinch at the thought of actually shooting an animal. No ego, just saying that most probably don�t do that.

Originally Posted by Royce
Would not work- To be an expert on bear rifles you have to be from the lower 48, east of the Missippi River and below the Mason Dixon line

FWIW, I never claimed to be an expert on anything. I just stated an opinion on a forum, which solicits opinions. I never, I think, said anyone else�s view was incorrect. I just said that there may not even be such a thing as a minimum, as it could go down to anything that has ever killed any reasonable number of brown bear. It�s a subjective sliding scale going from whatever down to the .222s the Inuit have used.

But the original poster was, in fact, �from the lower 48, east of the [Mississippi] River and below the Mason Dixon line.� And I think that makes a difference. It�s different for an AK resident, who can hunt brown bear, moose, caribou, sheep etc� several times a year to go out hunting brown bear, perhaps along with other game on the menu, with a .270, .308, 25-06, etc �, than it is for someone from Arkansas, like the OP, to scrape together scarce resources to spend a huge amount of money and time on a once-in-a-lifetime or even a somewhat rare hunt--primarily for brown bear. So, I understand that you may not respect the opinion of people who don�t live in AK (or Montana in your case), but there might be a different set of factors that governs how you prepare, what you bring, and what you do on a hunt that you might not get to redo for a long time.

For example, my guide, who is not the greatest brown bear guide who ever walked the earth, but has guided alone and with other guides for many decades, told me that most of the brown bear shot have to be tracked after being hit, and some of them are lost. If true, and one is a hunter from below the Mason Dixon Line, who may only get one shot, he MIGHT want to spend some more time building up some competence with a larger caliber than he otherwise might bring if he was essentially hunting the big beasts in his backyard.

Again, I don�t know why someone expressing such opinions is considered so unseemly here.

FWIW, I got a very nice message from Phil, who I respect very much. I won't quote it since it is a private message, but it is consistent with what I am saying and undercuts some of the unnecessary diatribes on here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Maybe I could submit one, listing minimum caliber for interior Grizzlies as well as minimum calibers for 8 foot brown bears, 9 foot bears and 10 foot bears. Might even through in some for the mythical 11, 12 and 13 foot bears.

Of course we would have to list appropriate minimum caliber for women as well in case some guy wants to get a rifle for the little woman so she can hunt with him.

I can see the rejection slip now, "Sorry, but our Editorial Staff finds you over-qualified to give advice."

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 6 of 26 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 51 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,859
Posts18,517,753
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.