Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I'll have to read the links you posted but my tour was 69-70, home was Phu Cat Air Base although we rearmed refueled at Da Nang and Pleiku frequently. Ninety percent of the time we never knew who we were providing CAS for as most RO's on the ground were more interested in the mass quantities of 7.62 we could rain down on the bad guys but most of our engagements were strictly ARMY in and around Binh Dinh province.

I don�t expect you to read all that but if you�re interested in the battle in question it was at Hoa Binh on 23 May 1971. The account of the battle is contained within Stories 4 & 5 so that�s all you�d have to read for that. It�s quite hair-raising, but then, I suspect you know a thing or two about that. wink You might enjoy reading from the perspective of those on the receiving end of your (successors') work. But again, I know you know a thing or two about that already. I found the whole series well worth reading, though.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
And, if you just want the most relevant paragraph of it, here it is. Let me know if he got his facts straight. It's still worth reading about the rest of the battle, though.

As we turned for Moc Hoa once again, a "Spooky" checked in. Spooky was an Air Force DC-3, with a phalanx of mini-guns and all the ammunition in the world, the predecessor to the AC-130's of Desert Storm fame. He was Spooky to us, but was more commonly known as "Puff the Magic Dragon" in the popular civilian press. Whatever his name, he was a welcome addition. We gave him the coordinates of Hoa Binh, he reported the flames in sight, we suggested that he put his fire around the outpost on all sides. He did. Before we had fairly left the area, he commenced his run. Spooky would orbit the target and aim his battery of guns by banking the aircraft to the proper angle. Together the guns put out about 300 rounds per SECOND. That's about 75 TRACERS per second, an unbelievable stream of red that merges into a continuous flow. It literally pours out like water. We couldn't hear him shoot like we could our own guns, but we could see it vividly. All the more eerie because of the absence of gun sounds. Surreal. Nightmarish. One look at that stream and we accelerated our efforts to get completely clear of the area. Spooky put the cap on the night's activities. There were no more attacks on Hoa Binh.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Uriah
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I'll have to read the links you posted but my tour was 69-70, home was Phu Cat Air Base although we rearmed refueled at Da Nang and Pleiku frequently. Ninety percent of the time we never knew who we were providing CAS for as most RO's on the ground were more interested in the mass quantities of 7.62 we could rain down on the bad guys but most of our engagements were strictly ARMY in and around Binh Dinh province.

I don�t expect you to read all that but if you�re interested in the battle in question it was at Hoa Binh on 23 May 1971. The account of the battle is contained within Stories 4 & 5 so that�s all you�d have to read for that. It�s quite hair-raising, but then, I suspect you know a thing or two about that. wink You might enjoy reading from the perspective of those on the receiving end of your (successors') work. But again, I know you know a thing or two about that already. I found the whole series well worth reading, though.

I will certainly read them but more than likely that engagement could have been with a VNAF Spooky not one of ours if it was '71. My squadron probably flew the last ones marked USAF as C-119 Stingers and Shadows replaced us.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Eastern Airlines used to fly them, and I remember being on one from Jacksonville to Atlanta when I was a wee lad.

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Flyboy Flem, Having you guys up there saved my young ass several times. Thank you and your teammates.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, in the right hand seat.

Over the Arctic / Sub Arctic

...and over the Equatorial Forests.

Theirs a turbo conversion flying outta' Libby Field here,....every evening, ....I think it's a classroom for the Sensor spook show schools on Huachuca.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cool stuff guys

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Never rode in a DC-3, but went up in a Ford Trimotor once.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like a previous poster, have quite a few jumps from them. Before turbo charged airplanes like the King Air became available, they were about the best jump plane available for large groups. Also have quite a few jumps from the previously mentioned Beech 18.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Besides the DC-3 that the forest service owned, we had contracted a PB4Y from out west. I think the young pilots were from Colorado. They were doing some slurry drops on a pretty big fire at the south-east coast, and told me to jump in after I loaded them down.

These guys were cowboys through and through and had brass balls. I went up into the nose and it was a blast! Coors beer was a new thing back in 1980 NC, and they brought a couple of iced down kegs with them.

Good times in the barracks after the fires went out.....

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When Dad was stationed at Ladd AFB in Fairbanks Alaska from 1954-1956. I was able to fly in a C47 and a C119 flying Boxcar. Commercially I flew on Wein Airlines in a C46.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
MarkAir, the successor to Wein Air, ran a tourist flight out of Anchorage back in the'90's. You could do a Prince William Sound overflight or a sightseeing fight up to Mt. McKinley.
They had completely restored two DC-3's in a first class interior and the stewardesses wore dresses and high heels, their hair was up and tucked under a cap, and they wore white gloves. They served champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. grin

We opted for the Prince William Sound trip and had a blast.

I love the sound of those big radial engines.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Uriah
And, if you just want the most relevant paragraph of it, here it is. Let me know if he got his facts straight. It's still worth reading about the rest of the battle, though.

As we turned for Moc Hoa once again, a "Spooky" checked in. Spooky was an Air Force DC-3, with a phalanx of mini-guns and all the ammunition in the world, the predecessor to the AC-130's of Desert Storm fame. He was Spooky to us, but was more commonly known as "Puff the Magic Dragon" in the popular civilian press. Whatever his name, he was a welcome addition. We gave him the coordinates of Hoa Binh, he reported the flames in sight, we suggested that he put his fire around the outpost on all sides. He did. Before we had fairly left the area, he commenced his run. Spooky would orbit the target and aim his battery of guns by banking the aircraft to the proper angle. Together the guns put out about 300 rounds per SECOND. That's about 75 TRACERS per second, an unbelievable stream of red that merges into a continuous flow. It literally pours out like water. We couldn't hear him shoot like we could our own guns, but we could see it vividly. All the more eerie because of the absence of gun sounds. Surreal. Nightmarish. One look at that stream and we accelerated our efforts to get completely clear of the area. Spooky put the cap on the night's activities. There were no more attacks on Hoa Binh.

Certainly an accurate accounting from my standpoint but our engagement with Evil Twin on Hill 474 will give you a grunts eye view of a solid stream of incoming 7.62 tracers.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I rode them often back in the early 70's. I was a little kid and my parents lived in Miami and grandparents in Key West. I was sent back and forth on them. I can't remember the airline for sure but it had a sun on the tail. I think my dad worked for National Airlines back then so it might have been them.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Have been lucky enough to go up in Gooney Birds, Boxcars, and Packets along with the Hercs.... Love em all...great thrills for a kid... helped having an old man in the Air Force....

and mentioning the Spookys.. Woody, thanks again for your service my friend... and the same to those grunts on the ground...

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 1962, Uncle Sam went to great expense to fly us out to Shemya in the Aleutians to keep the Soviet hordes at bay. A battered Reeves Alaskan Airways DC-3 with steel seats bolted to a bare deck, a couple of army blankets and a rat lunch tossed in the lap on take off. Thanking God we could not see out the windows.

Did not see a three dimensional woman for a year -- or hear one either for that matter. (It wasn't all bad.)

1B

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Took a few round trips from Danang into northern Thailand during my time in the Corps. The rides were interesting to say the least.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reeves handed out a flyer with flight regulations prior to take off.

1. Urinate, defecate, and vomit before boarding.
2, Screaming privileges are restricted to the pilot and copilot (if there is one.)
3. Immediately return any part of the aircraft that falls off in flight to its working place on the aircraft.
4. On disembarking, move directly away from the aircraft unless wearing a hardhat.
5. A handbook of handy Aleut survival terminology is available at the exits in the slim chance of of ditching over land.

Thank you for flying Reeves Alaskan Airways.

Last edited by 1B; 06/04/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
My first-ever commercial hop � Fairbanks to Anchorage, 1958 � was in a DC-3. Wien Airlines, IIRC.

Later (1959) hitched a ride in a BLM DC-3 air-dropping stuff to crews fighting tundra fires in Alaska.

Ken is right about the spelling of Wien. The airline was Wien Air Alaska, founded by Noel Wien, a noted barnstormer and stunt flier who was the first pilot in Alaska back in the 1920s.

Noel died in 1977, so I never met him, but I was personally involved in the purchase and later sale in 1983 of Wien Air Alaska and I met Ray Peterson and brother Sig Wien.

My company bought WAA around 1979, just after the Airline Deregulation Act and in time for the second "oil shock" that wiped out its profitability. Contrary to what Merrill Wien, Noel's son, apparently thought, we were not corporate raiders at all, but simply stupid, thinking that the airline acquisition would "smooth out" earnings cycle from our financial businesses.

We loved the airline (and its three fishing camps in the Katmai National Monument) and we intended to build it up, but the purchase was a big mistake, as it turned out. The airline industry is a glamorous business, but extremely risky and almost never profitable.

My own first flights around the world, beginning back in 1964, were on (IIRC) Boeing 707s. The only flight I ever took on a DC-3 was through the mountain passes in Ecuador from Guayaquil to Quito and I did not much enjoy it. sick

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lots of times in northern Manitoba during the 1970's. Cold, noisy, slow, but always got to the places we were supposed to.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 52 invisible), 3,340 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,770
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.