Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 2006 Dodge deisel came with Michelins which I replaced at 55k miles. I went with the Kuhmo's next which had good snow traction but didn't wear well at all. I currently have a set of Cooper ATP's that aren't wearing that well either - I might get 35k out of them (they have a 55k mile rating). A local tire store commented to me on Cooper's (in general) being too soft for a heavy truck and they didn't recommend them on deisels.

The Hankook Dynapro seems to be one of the more popular truck tires around here, and everyone I've talked to running them speaks highly of them. I'll give them a close look next time around...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
run Toyo open country A/T on my 1 ton dodge. Hold up well.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by JGray
The Hankook Dynapro seems to be one of the more popular truck tires around here, and everyone I've talked to running them speaks highly of them.

That's what I have on my truck right now. I have a little over 20k on them and have no complaints.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My old Powerstroke ran on Nitto Grapplers. They wore like iron and went anywhere I steered them. Cons? Cost. ..and they were a little noisy, but not obtrusively so.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing real impressive about Kumho tires.

It would help a lot to know what kind of truck you have, weight, etc, what kind of roads or non-roads you drive, and how much weight you typically haul or tow.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to buying tires. Once I find something that works, I tend to stick with it rather than spend $1000 or more on experiments. On the other hand if I'm not happy I won't repeat the same mistake.

Some tires work well for a particular application on a compact truck but not for beans on a full size, others just the opposite.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a 98 dodge 3/4ton 4x4 diesel. I ran goodrich tires for years, no more.
Starting a year or so ago, i had at least five goodrich mud/snow tires blow up, one at a time on the freeway. They were insured so replacement was not bad, but they kept going bad. The last time took the cake. I was in heavy traffic, front tire blew, throwing my into a sidrail. About 4k of body work, couple of seconds earlier and i would have punched that siderail.
The tire was sent back to goodrich, who chose to do nothing as they said i did not stop soon enough. Every try to bring a truck that big down from 70mph in 20 feet or so with a blown front tire.
I later heard that goodrich is owned by michelin, and the tires are made in thailand. Made me happy. Next time around it will be most likely a cooper product.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/04/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Due for tires on my 3/4T. Living in the NW I am going to stick with the Les Schwab tires mainly due to availability and warranty. Small towns and they are used to selling truck tires and warrantying them.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't know about Kumhos, but the General Grabber AT2 that are on my Hummer have 65,000, and don't look too bad. Pretty good grip, too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
I hate my Michelin ltx's. Poor traction and very poor wear. 2012 silverado half ton. Piss poor everything, except quiet highway ride.

A buddy got almost 100K out of his. Mine have been fine so far. I can easily see 75 K miles at this rate.

Ride fairly smooth, fairly quiet though thats doesn't have a lot to do with my desires. I want a good hard tire that gets decent mileage and good waer.

Has been good traction wise so far.

But this on a F350 Powerstroke and I'm guessing the vehicle could make a small difference on a few things.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelenndealin
The Hankook Dynapro seems to be one of the more popular truck tires around here, and everyone I've talked to running them speaks highly of them.

That's what I have on my truck right now. I have a little over 20k on them and have no complaints.

This. Had 2 sets on my old Cummins and got great service out of them. 4k now on my new truck and I can't wait to get rid of the Firestone POS's on it and put some Hankooks on.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by badger

This. Had 2 sets on my old Cummins and got great service out of them. 4k now on my new truck and I can't wait to get rid of the Firestone POS's on it and put some Hankooks on.
Lots of following of Hankooks in places where a tire meets more than pavement have had good luck with them

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It would help a lot to know what kind of truck you have, weight, etc, what kind of roads or non-roads you drive, and how much weight you typically haul or tow.

Thanks for all the replys, I guess I will have to study on this a day or two.

T O M, My work truck is a Nissan, Frontier, 2 wheel drive. The only thing I pull is my boats and utility trailer, so heavy loads are not a problem. No off-road driving (got a toyota for that), but I work out of the truck and having a quiet smooth ride is what I want.
I have Cooper tires on the truck and they are the ones that are going bad. Tread still looks ok, but 2 of the tires have balloons on them. I figure if 2 are bad the others are probably not far behind.
I think somebody mentioned that they had trouble keeping the Coopers balanced... same here and it always seemed to take a lot of weights, but I babied them and got 50K miles.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I put another set of Michelin's on my GMC 2500. LTX285's, a quick grand. They perform well for me in mud and snow and are quite on the road.

JD338

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JD338
I put another set of Michelin's on my GMC 2500. LTX285's, a quick grand. They perform well for me in mud and snow and are quite on the road.

JD338

Yipes! $1000

These tires the dealer is recommending is suppose to be a 60K tire for $565 and that includes mount and balance

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
2 weeks ago I replaced the Continentals on my f350 (75k miles)
w/ the michelin ltx ms2. Cost right at $1342.00

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by badger

Lots of following of Hankooks in places where a tire meets more than pavement have had good luck with them

The Dynapro AT's are very good, we have them on 2 work/feed pickups and they hold up well.

Yoko Geolanders are also good.

I have a set of Coopers(Discover ST Maxx) on my farm pickup and they have been fine but I think they wear a little faster. Actually I know they do, one of my friends drives mostly gravel and went through a set in under 15 or 20K miles.

Earlier this spring we wrecked a tire and one was getting iffy so we stuck a pair of Cooper AT/3's on the front of one pickup. They look like they might wear a little better. Similar thread design compared to the Hankook Dynapro AT.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had 3 Nissans, just bought a Toyota, so we're in the same weight range but the uses are near opposite. You're looking for a sort of tire I don't have much experience with. You might want a dedicated highway tire, not even an all terrain, where my uses call for more and more serious mud tires.

Of the name brand tires, I guess I'd look at General Grabber AP and maybe BFG Long Trail. You might find a better tire that is a sort of store brand for a chain in your area.

I think the best thing to do is go into a tire store, talk to someone who looks more experienced, get their input, then maybe come back here to get feedback on the store's specific recommendations. You're getting a lot of input right now that is somewhat off-topic, important to the people who are giving it to you, maybe not so useful for you. smile (I might be on that list, too. :))

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm having some decent use out of Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on MY Frontier. Heckuvan improvement over the OEM BFG Long Trails that came on it.
With THOSE tires, the truck would just sit and spin on wet clay, but the Goodyears have a lot better grip, no spinning in wet mud.

I DID lose 2 MPG going to the Goodyears, though, not happy about that, but it beats getting stuck on damp clay.... (mine's 2WD also).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,948
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.