Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JMR40
I prefer the Edge. I actually like the looks of some of the McSwirly's, but to me the biggest reason to buy synthetic is for the weight reduction. The standard fill McMillan's are no lighter than wood, heavier in many cases. The Edge stocks are just as durable, but 1/2 to over a full pound lighter than factory and come with pillars. Considering they include pillars, which will cost extra in the standard stocks, they are well worth the added cost.

If they figure out a way to make an Edge with the swirly patterns, I'll buy one.

Spot on.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The McSwirleys look cool, but I rather prefer the feel of the paint, its a little less slippery. I like the look of matte stainless and the olive.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
And while I'm at it....this is how not to do a McFlame....

[Linked Image]

I got this one right....

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the good tips SAS�but it would be easier if you sold me that McFlame in the bottom pic! laugh It is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can't....

I traded that rifle to a pard. He had a super nice 6x47 that my daughter needed. But who knows, I may trade him back something for it one day? Another I should have kept!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
cry

What was the model on that stock, if you can remember...

Last edited by ingwe; 06/05/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Can't argue with the merits of McM stocks mentioned here. I own one. I personally do not feel they're worth the $500 asking price.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thats been my stumbling block. Im using a couple other synthetics now, B&C and H-S and in some cases using them hard�and am happy with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I certainly can't afford a fleet of them, but having a few of their stocks for hard-use rifles makes good sense. Most of my others wear factory stocks or various factory take-offs, being a mix of walnut, laminate, and even injection molded.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
cry

What was the model on that stock, if you can remember...

It's the Compact. Same profile as the Hunters Edge, but with standard fill and gelcoat.

I think it's time to order another. I have a few 700 Mountain Rifles that need stocks.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks! Now if only I can come into windfall$$$ grin

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been using Brown Precision for 20 years...don't miss a Mc at all. powdr

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by deflave
For me it comes down to my rifles that wear McMillans never changing POI. Ever.

Travis
This.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
They are also tougher than woodpecker lips.

When you find the one/s that fit you best you can have many rigs match, regardless of the name on the receiver.
And this, plus, they are easy to repair if they were to break.

Not only that, but you can repair them over and again, you can also choose your length of pull, an often overlooked but very important option.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me, besides looks it comes down to customization. I am RH but left eye dominant. My rifles are RH also. The comb of the stock on these never meshed well for me.

So in comes a McM. It is a LH config with RH action.
[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I currently only own 2 McMillans, both are gel coat stocks. Have a third on order. Had a couple Edge stocks too. I cannot see going with an Edge unless you really are trying to save weight. A standard Gel Mcmillan is not what I would call heavy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only reason to go with something other than Edge fill is for heavy kickers, heavy/tac/competition style rifles, or inlets that don�t come in Edge fill (Ruger). For a basic hunting rifle, Edge all the way. Preferably unpainted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thats been my stumbling block. Im using a couple other synthetics now, B&C and H-S and in some cases using them hard�and am happy with them.

+1. I own a couple of B&C Medalist, a couple of HSP and a McM. I just do not see the difference for the $. Mickeys are nice, and even the best, but they are not that nice.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tried a McFlame and wasn't enthused.

[Linked Image]

Love the ergo's and weight of an Edge!

[Linked Image]

My second arrived Tuesday and is identical to my first.

[Linked Image]

Like the ability to go ADL.

A Brown Precision replaced my McFlame.

[Linked Image]

Good fortune on your quest!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
+1. I own a couple of B&C Medalist, a couple of HSP and a McM. I just do not see the difference for the $. Mickeys are nice, and even the best, but they are not that nice.

This is why you don't want the B&C.

[Linked Image]

They look nice on the outside, but are constructed with inferior materials and construction methods. A factory Tupperware stock is much tougher. And just as accurate in my experience. If you are trying to save money, just keep the factory stock. It is likely just as good and maybe better.

Anyone who can afford to buy a computer and pay for internet service can afford a McMillan or other quality stock. It is about choices and how we choose to spend our money.

Most of us have several guns that are rarely used. Sell one, use the funds to purchase 2 Edge stocks for rifles you actually use. After they come in sell the factory stocks and you'll end up with money left over. Instead of 3 mediocre guns, you'll now have 2 great ones and money in the bank.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How is damage like that even possible from standard use? Looks like that was run over by a truck or used to pry something.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.