Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not much on pictures of dead animals or wounds unless I'm out to prove a point, hence I don''t have such.

But I can tell you that it was always caliber in and seemingly about 3 times that exit wound wise.

I don't shoot bones unless its head, so thats about all I can ask for.

Huge exit holes tell me the bullet is too frangible for my tastes and may fail if encountering hard/big bones or long angling shots.

Of course some prefer huge holes and thats their choice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
It wasn't "research" so much as just developing a load and a rifle that was both combat reliable and accurate. Crane and PRI did a good job of it, by all accounts.

Yeah, same chit we do as reloaders every single day we take something like that on.

The bullet has been around for a LONG time, and many of us have been driving it to sub moa rapid fire accuracy out to 600 with irons for many years...

None of this is the flippin rocket science folks make it out to be sometimes.

The SPR project was a lot more than just "handloading". It gave us the first AR with a free floated picatinny rail (Colt's M4 still doesn't have one today). This allowed a quick-detach bipod, and more importantly, it allowed the use of clip-on night vision. I never saw quality folding BUIS's before that either.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think there are other hunting bullets I would use.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by slasher
My information came straight from Black Hills president Jeff Hoffman

Or an article in a magazine.

the open tip to place the weight toward the rear to make it more stable in flight and accurate; thus not in theory to cause expansion in the usual manner upon impact and violate the Hague Convention-although that is exactly what it ultimately does.

The 77gr SMK was in use loooong before the military ever thought to use it. No consideration was ever given to it's terminal ballistics. The only modification from the original MK 262, and MK 262 MOD 1, is the addition of a canulure. That was added to satisfy a military requirement for auto weapons.

I think we are just looking at it practically- me and Guthrie as hunters would-and while your information is accurate to a point, it misses entirely the point of the projectile's purpose and it's philosophy of use for the units it was planned for-long range accuracy in specific weapons

I'm quite aware of "it's philosophy of use" as I've been issued a metric [bleep] load of it.

I am looking at the ballistic gelatin and Guthrie is correct.

Maybe it's semantics. J Guthrie is too respected, in addition to being too skilled of an interviewer to have garnered information that is not correct.

The fact that ALL match kings at times exhibit nearly ideal terminal performance, does not negate the reality that most often they penetrate 3-4 inches, tumble, and if velocity is high enough, fragment. I would love to see the gel shots you're looking at. Please post them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have seen truckloads of Whitetail deer and pigs killed with 55 grain BT from a standard .223. With a 62 grain TTSX there is not much here in North America that I would not shoot given the opportunity.

It's been said many times - "Headstamps mean little when it comes to killing"

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It wasn't "research" so much as just developing a load and a rifle that was both combat reliable and accurate. Crane and PRI did a good job of it, by all accounts.

Yeah, same chit we do as reloaders every single day we take something like that on.

The bullet has been around for a LONG time, and many of us have been driving it to sub moa rapid fire accuracy out to 600 with irons for many years...

The SPR project was a lot more than just "handloading". It gave us the first AR with a free floated picatinny rail (Colt's M4 still doesn't have one today). This allowed a quick-detach bipod, and more importantly, it allowed the use of clip-on night vision. I never saw quality folding BUIS's before that either.

where did bipods and float tubes originate from? Damn sure not the SPR project, competitive shooters.

The ideas start somewhere, and then are beefed up by military.

I know. Thats where they started using 90 jlk data for the AMU at Benning, guess who gave them the leftover ammo from Perry.

The ammo part of this, was simply copy something thats been proven, see if we can make it work and go from there. Nothing that hasn't been done for years in private and military sectors..

I have a box of the over pressure 77 stuff from Black hills somewhere stashed so I know they had issues, but all they were doing is making it work in all weapons platforms across the board.
EXACTLY what we do in figuring out NTIT rattle battle team ammo. ... 77s that work across the board.

They have more things to take into account, but in the end, it was simply tweaking what had already been in use.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Formidilosus,

I'm not sure what the issue is or was still.

I do not have equipment working to post it but I'd love to mail you the article and that test if you will P M me your address.

J Guthrie was so highly respected you could quote his conversations and feel they were to them personally as far as the soundness of the statements. Obviously anyone could get his articles to check that. He was that kind of guy.

Best

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Take a knee and rost95,

I'm curious as to who or what Crane and PRI are all about if you don't mind obliging,

Thanks,

Slasher- I actually find histories and this goes back many years on this bullet, extremely interesting, no different than my interest in paper patching and the experiments on the bullets from the 1800's, lots and lots with patches to get it right to compete at a high level of accuracy at insane ranges, too.
Ross Seyfried grin Good ol' Ross knew....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mahatma Gandhi and Bobby Kennedy and I were having dinner many years ago and they both commented on this bullet...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks,

Bullets from different centuries. That actually needed explaining as opposed to....

Anybody but Bobby Kennedy.

Gandhi was actually a strong proponent of citizens having guns. Just too many Brits to take on at the time.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slasher

Slasher- I actually find histories and this goes back many years on this bullet, extremely interesting, no different than my interest in paper patching and the experiments on the bullets from the 1800's, lots and lots with patches to get it right to compete at a high level of accuracy at insane ranges, too.
Ross Seyfried grin Good ol' Ross knew....

Did you just start talking to yourself?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is getting interesting.

Who knew BH took a SMK that had been around for years and added weight to the back so it was more stable and opened up just right so as to not violate the Hauge treaty. wink

Unbelievable!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TWR,

That is straight from the article from J Guthrie, the remark about the Hague Convention. Actually, the open tip removed weight making the rear heavier. He says, " the hollow cavity is not there to induce expansion; it's there to put the majority of weight towards the projectile's rear so that it is more stable in flight and increase accuracy."

"....it is not designed to expand and cause undue suffering." He notes that as "that critical phrase in the Hague Convention regarding ammunition."

He is not saying Sierra designed that years in advance knowing this would be an issue. He does note this though, perhaps as an afterthought that it could be a positive in light of any possible criticism.

Gary

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I never heard of J Guthrie but the only change Sierra made to their bullet was to add a small cannelure only after Nosler almost stole the show.

And the ballistic gelatin photos I've seen show the bullet in pieces. They blow a heck of a hole in a coyote and I've yet to see one mushroom, nor have I recovered one in one piece.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bluedreaux,

Just having fun.

I posted to Dr. Howell after he fell recently to keep a stiff upper chin instead of lip to see if would be caught and forum member ironbender caught it, and posted it back to me.

Then he says out of the blue , "Maxilla! Good ol' Maxilla!!! or something like that. I tried to find anything on that and realized he was making a private joke to himself, so since then I've done it a couple of times to see if anyone noticed weird inserts and poster jimmyp did.

But paper patching bullets to drastically improve accuracy is an important part of ballistics history. It's very detailed as to how it is to be done correctly to achieve unreal accuracy that many years ago.

Posters from just 10 years ago who read Wolfe publications Rifle and Handloader would have known exactly and immediately who Ross Seyfried is and would demonstrate they have their history down as to riflery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TWR,

J Guthrie had made a big name for himself in a short time period amongst magazine writers. Going to be like the next Jack O'Connor as to popularity or Mr. O'Connor's nemesis who loved the big calibers. Do you know him? The inventor of many of our famous handgun cartridges.

I know some here are not big on the Mule Deers of the world but I am as they are the people I learned from.

Mr. Guthrie credits the Sierra with some yaw.

Someone has to take the technical side of all this and put it in layman's terms and Mr. Guthrie was good at that except he went further and made the sometimes mundane extremely entertaining.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know bout all this. But I can shoot.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

where did bipods and float tubes originate from? Damn sure not the SPR project, competitive shooters.

The ideas start somewhere, and then are beefed up by military.

They have more things to take into account, but in the end, it was simply tweaking what had already been in use.

Yes Jeff, most of us, who didn't just fall off the turnip truck are well aware of that. Many of us are also well aware of the fact that civilians, like Glenn Zediker and company, are the ones who figured out how to make the AR dominate Hi-Power.

The fact still remains that Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Mr. Bin could lock this discussion down permanently and that would be fine by me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
this conversation is mild.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (222Sako, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,600
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.