24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hey guys, thought I'd share a few pics from Friday. Went for a still hunt on some private land and run into this guy- bedded down at around 200 meters through the forest. After glassing the small mob he was with I decided to harvest him because he was lighter in colour than the rest (poaching is a real problem in my area), and looked to be the most delicious.
A standing shot on a rest with my sauer and the interbond did the rest.
After gutting him, I packed him out whole (kiwi style) and he's hanging in my shed ready for the freezer this afternoon.
Happy days. Sorry the photo quality isn't great.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had never eaten fallow deer until my trip to Argentina earlier this year. It is very tasty.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
OP Offline
That's right, I butchered the animal yesterday and we had venison tacos with fried beans for 7, everyone loved it including my lefty sister in law! I don't know how it compares to the American deer like white tail or mule deer, but I do prefer red deer when I find them, the fallow deer seems to have a gamier (not sure if that's a word) taste.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I prefer Fallow venison over the others I have tried, with Red being a close second.

I find Roe ok, but a bit bland, where as Fallow to me tastes of "game" and the taste is very distinct from beef.

The best tasting venison I've had is a fallow pricket that had been hung in a chiller for 14 days before skinning and butchering; I am getting hungry just thinking of it!

Last edited by Pete E; 06/09/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking, tasty critter.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They are quite tasty. Enjoy. Congrats on a successful hunt.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Personally, I prefer Fallow venison over the others I have tried, with Red being a close second.

I find Roe ok, but a bit bland, where as Fallow to me tastes of "game" and the taste is very distinct from beef.

The best tasting venison I've had is a fallow pricket that had been hung in a chiller for 14 days before skinning and butchering; I am getting hungry just thinking of it!

I have no experience with either roe or fallow deer, but was going to chime in with my experience with whitetail and mule deer, that the way to make them good table fare is to let them hang with the skin on for at least a week or 10 days ,depending on ambient temps.best temp is high 30's- low 40's
I didnt used to think it made much difference, but now think otherwise.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Female and your male fallow deer are indeed delicious, but big males can be iffy during the rut. They can have a definite off-taste, a lot like some big mule deer get in the rut. At that point the best use for the meat is sausage.

The best deer I've ever eaten is axis, and even the big bucks don't taste any different while rutting. Have found the same to be true of whitetails. Both my wife and I have taken big bucks well into the rut, and the meat was still fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
watched 3 real nice fallow bucks feeding this morning all 3 in the velvet, took a couple of pictures but they were to far for my camera to get a good picture, i have found the fallow to be as spooky as the axis, the only differance is the fallow are easy to see because of their color, when hunting axis or fallow pay attention to your stalk and the wind,both have great eyesight and nose,the axis is better eating. rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Female and your male fallow deer are indeed delicious, but big males can be iffy during the rut. They can have a definite off-taste, a lot like some big mule deer get in the rut. At that point the best use for the meat is sausage.

The best deer I've ever eaten is axis, and even the big bucks don't taste any different while rutting. Have found the same to be true of whitetails. Both my wife and I have taken big bucks well into the rut, and the meat was still fine.

Mature Fallow bucks definitely get very stinky during the Rut as do Red stags..In both cases they also loose a lot of body condition during rut and the carcass quality suffers appreciably.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
watched 3 real nice fallow bucks feeding this morning all 3 in the velvet, took a couple of pictures but they were to far for my camera to get a good picture, i have found the fallow to be as spooky as the axis, the only differance is the fallow are easy to see because of their color, when hunting axis or fallow pay attention to your stalk and the wind,both have great eyesight and nose,the axis is better eating. rio7

Re the colour of Fallow, it depends on the colour phase present. They can go from almost white to almost black, and local populations are often a mix, at least over here anyway.It also depends on the time of year as there is a very marked difference between their summer and winter coats..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.