Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image]

It took 5 months to complete working on and off as time and weather would allow. It was a fun project that several people will be able to enjoy for years to come. The stand sat in this location for one year. We moved it off the farm when the farm (my Uncles) sold. We will be re-erecting it on my sisters farm in a few weeks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Friggen nice!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very impressive.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DIYguy
Rattler and roost, you guys need to read the words (not just look at the pics) I already posted "replacing the ladder with stairs to make it easier for my father to climb out of."

Good job then. Always in a hurry here.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We built a stand for my bud's father in law.
It had hand rails and a landing.
The windows had sash cord to open them up.
We put an 9-12 pitch roof on it(i think you could put holes in it and rain would still not get in)and covered it with rolled roofing,just a roll of shingle material.
The floor measured 5x6 and even had room for the small propane heater.
Baily tested it once and liked it but he never hunted out of it.
He was wounded in France in ww2 and his hips,lower legs were shot to pieces.

Good job hopes he hunts a long time.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very impressive stand! My only concern would be the anchoring system. I 'm not convinced its going to hold up to high winds?

I say as over the years, I know of several instances of such tower stands getting blown over, some with what I thought were excellent anchors..

Edited to add, I'd also cover the stair treads with something "non slip" otherwise they will get slicker than a bent politician ..We've tried all sorts, and about the only thing that holds up to heavy traffic is chicken wire..If the stand is only being used a few weeks a year, some sort of non slip pain might work, but the stuff we tried did not hold up due to the amount of use they were getting..

Last edited by Pete E; 06/08/14.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Chicken wire sounds like a good idea, Pete.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Good job! I used 3/8" ss cable to anchor mine. I dug a 4' hole centered under the stand with my post hole attachment (larger in dia. at the bottom) filled with concrete. The cable is attached with a turn buckle under the floor. So far has withstood a couple hurricanes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the effort you made to show it to us too.

Very nice.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
neat project smile Good on you for fixing it up for your Dad

I have found that if you have all four legs at compound angles, the blind won't blow over. These guys:

http://www.e-ztower.com/

make the best brackets I have seen for attaching legs to the base of the blind.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really cool project and nicely done!

Thanks for chronicling your efforts, really enjoyed it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good Stuff, I hope all Fathers get a blind as good as this!

I am envious as I look at the trouble you have encountered and dealt with in such an inclusive way.

Your Father should be proud.

Joel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
neat project smile Good on you for fixing it up for your Dad

I have found that if you have all four legs at compound angles, the blind won't blow over. These guys:

http://www.e-ztower.com/

make the best brackets I have seen for attaching legs to the base of the blind.

Those are the brackets my son used for his eagle scout project that I posted above. Those brackets are second to none.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pete's right about the stair treads getting slick from rain or frost. I used roofing shingles on mine and they work great...6 years now and were still in good shape last fall.

One other thing that you might want to add is a urinal...I dug a post hole in line with the outside edge of my stairs and placed a piece of 2" PVC pipe in it and about 6" above the bottom of the hole then filled the hole with gravel with about 6" of dirt on top. I used 2 pieces of strapping to fasten the PVC to my stairs and used a 2" to 4" adapter with a 6" piece of 4" PVC pipe to be like a funnel.I've got a 4" cap fastened to the hand rail with a short piece of chain that is used to cap it.I know some people keep a plastic bottle around for the same use but the urinal just outside the door is really nice.
In between the framing,under my windows,I put 1x4s for shelving with some old cabinet doors that I use to keep a few bottles of water,pop,jerky,snacks,my log book,a paper back or two,extra flash light batteries,etc. Before I put the shelves in I used an old 5 gallon metal popcorn tin for a pantry.

I predict that your Dad is really going to love that stand...I know I wish that I hadn't waited until I was 50 to build my first one.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That is an excellent build DIY! As mentioned before, it might help to add a 5th tie down directly underneath stand. Having built a dozen or so blinds in the past, I figured out when using OSB that you must cover and seal all the exterior wall vertical edges (where the walls come to a corner). I use an L channel to cover the corners, and then caulk real well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Really cool stand DIY!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Pete's right about the stair treads getting slick from rain or frost. I used roofing shingles on mine and they work great...6 years now and were still in good shape last fall.

One other thing that you might want to add is a urinal...I dug a post hole in line with the outside edge of my stairs and placed a piece of 2" PVC pipe in it and about 6" above the bottom of the hole then filled the hole with gravel with about 6" of dirt on top. I used 2 pieces of strapping to fasten the PVC to my stairs and used a 2" to 4" adapter with a 6" piece of 4" PVC pipe to be like a funnel.I've got a 4" cap fastened to the hand rail with a short piece of chain that is used to cap it.I know some people keep a plastic bottle around for the same use but the urinal just outside the door is really nice.
In between the framing,under my windows,I put 1x4s for shelving with some old cabinet doors that I use to keep a few bottles of water,pop,jerky,snacks,my log book,a paper back or two,extra flash light batteries,etc. Before I put the shelves in I used an old 5 gallon metal popcorn tin for a pantry.

I predict that your Dad is really going to love that stand...I know I wish that I hadn't waited until I was 50 to build my first one.

At near 80 years old I think my dad pisses about every 15 minutes. Sometimes I swear he must never bother to put his Johnson back in his pants. We tend to use a gallon sized jug with a REALLY large opening

THUMP! smirk

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Built this one out of scraps[except 6X6's]. The windows are plexiglass that ride in pieces of left over Trex boards, with gooves cut on a table saw. just threw it up without much forethought.
[Linked Image]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

gotta stand that will work for, great idea!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Liking both the ckicken wire and shingle ideas. I dont want the old man to take a fall in the WI winter.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,025
Posts18,500,501
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.