Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Went out about 10 to make sure horses hadn't spurng the hog trap. Well they were all milling around the trap and I could hear hogs a-gruntin'. Horses spotted me in the moonlight and came to investigate. Bunch of hogs came out. And I hosed em all Guadacanal style. Got these on ice.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/07/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Gitter done Hoss ,, that's some good shooting and a good lot to have on ice.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I got to get a new gate on the pasture to keep them pesky horses out. They wouldn't let the pigs near the trap! And I fear it was them who sprung it after I reset it last night! Oh well! I'll keep it wired open this week and let them porkers get used to it. The evening firefight didn't appear to affect the status quo. The still came in and did a fair amount of root in'. Try again next weekend. And I'll hang a new gate!

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Good stuff.

I don't know what ya'll experience has been. However this has been mine. I will set up a feeder and let if feed for a couple months undisturbed before I hunt it. I'm of the opinion that the hogs get it in their piggy little brains "this is where the groceries are". Once it becomes ingrained in them, then they will come back time and time again. I've been killing hogs off the same spots for nigh on to 10 years now. However it its about a month between. Seems to work the same on traps. We also do a good bit of snaring, catching them as they come through holes in or under the fence, usually on a direct route to a feeder location.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That's kinda my philosophy too GW! They have been coming here for the past 8 years. They are a bit nomadic. They seem to pass thru here in a circuit. Hitting all their favorite spots. I sometimes find myself saying, "about time for the hogs to show up"... I just don't really make a serious effort to hunt, trap or feed them. They make themselves known. I know they will always be back. Kinda like the return of the buffalo, but on a smaller scale! LOL!

Founder

WS

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My family had a place in east Texas, near Cut n Shoot. We had a mile of frontage on Peach Creek. Had it between 61 and 2007. Hogs would range up and down the creek bottom much as you said, almost like they were on a circuit. They'd not be in evidence for a while then show up for a couple days.
Where I'm at now, easy pickin's such as corn feeders is few and far between.

Best,

GWB

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
geedubya ,

I use to do the same thing using thrower type feeders ,,I'd hang them on top of a 12' 4x4 planted about two feet deep. Problem is we have bears here in NW Florida -big bears- I'd guess a couple that have came through would top 500 lbs. They love to tear stuff up and they're not happy just knocking over a feeder -they insist on looking inside the motor/timer/battery compartment by prying each and every piece open.
So -I started using 50 gallon plastic pickle barrels -drill several 1/2" holes in them and mount them down -the hogs roll them around and corn is dispersed ,it keeps them there for a couple of hours sometimes. BUT we have had two summers of monsoon rains and the corn in the barrel gets wet -sticks together and mildews -bugs and skeeters love to get in there. Then the hogs won't eat it and I end up pouring it out .
When it's not Monsooning the roll barrels work great -I put a bell on the barrel and sit in my truck and listen for the hogs to start smacking the barrel -easy to hear 200 yards away . They love to knock them up in the air -HARD- then I ease out of the truck and stalk the feed area.

My new plan is to use a tree instead of the 4x4 , a bear can't knock a tree over . I'm going to lift the barrel feeder with one of the game hoist do-dads then wrap sheet metal about chest high to curtail coons/squirrels then trapping wire with a couple of dozen 4xx strong treble hooks .If yogi puts his big paw on the tree deciding how to tear the feeder down he will have other things to think about until he gets loose from the treble hooks.
Bears are protected here -they have caused many hundreds of dollars in torn up feeders ,shooting houses etc. so being nice is over.

Kaywoodie ,

Hogs here are nomadic also there can be plenty of feed for them -coming to the feeder regularly -and -gone then another band of hogs will show up and leave never to be seen again. That tells me that the more time I spend out there with a gun in hand the better -and that's a good thing.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Fillin up the larder I see (pun intended).

Very nice work! Looks like fun w/ a shotgun!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I suppose these pigs figgered I was one of the horses. They are used to them. I wasn't 15-20 yards from em when I opened up. Kinda snook up on em and watched them in the moonlight a minute or two. No other light, but I was sure of my target and what was behind. Horses kinda stayed behind me which I suppose was good!

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
ol mike,

[Linked Image]

we do a variation of a pickle barrel, I call it a hog pipe.

[Linked Image]

Take and put an auger with an eyebolt head in the ground and attach a and a swivel, 1/4" aircraft cable and a pig pipe. Fill it with corn, protein and some hog wild or cherry kool-aid. They will worry that pipe till the corns gone. It's amazing the power those big boars have. I've had them fray a 3/8" cable and knock the end out of a six inch PVC cap. Find the pipe couple hundred yards away.

GWB

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That's a good idea! Thanks GW!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta Love the Model 12 cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

-------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen those G-dub .

Kaywoodie ,

I tie a rope between two trees here in Fl. and just tie an overhand knot in the middle then tie the feeder barrel in the middle w/a rope length that won't let the hogs get it around a tree. Two swivels from a home store are needed to keep the rope/cable from wrapping up.
Our lease is mostly commercial pine operation -and every other row of trees is removed.

The cheapest thing I have been able to come up with is using 5 gallon buckets that I find on construction sites --with a lid.
I drill a hole through the bucket and run a rope through the plastic -the wire handle will not hold up to big hogs.

Drill some holes a little bigger than the size of a piece of corn on the bottom [side] edge of the bucket ,then tie the bucket to a tree limb something that will give so the hogs can't really get the bucket pinned down and peel the lid off.
Taking the lids off is hard to do -I cut a tennis ball size hole in the top and screw a piece of wood or metal on to the lid --back the screws out pour bucket half full corn- run screws back in.
I think about five of these would be good -pour 2 sacks of corn between them ,that way a bunch of hogs can get in on the action where as if you have the olive barrels like I do now - a big boar will run the other pigs away from 'his' corn.

Posted by Bristoe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I like that Mike!!!! Thanks!!!

Founder

WS

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use two of these lights -one at each roll barrel .
-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunforce...i_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

-----------------------------------------------------------------

These two lights have been destroyed by bears -one was full of water -laying busted on the ground after a bear attack on the feeder pole.
I didn't bother to even pick it up I was so mad.
It laid on the ground in the floods for several weeks -then I picked it up poured the water out of it -plugged the solar panel back into the light and click on came the light.
Hogs will get use to these in short order -the biggest boars here 350+lbs will spend hours rolling the feed barrels in front of these lights.
The light can be adjusted to stay on long enough to take a well aimed shot.
Make sure and point the light away from the direction you will be shooting so that it isn't washing out your sight picture in the scope.If you know the direction you will be shooting from -place the light closer to you aimed towards the feed spot.

OK kaywoodie and others just babbling what we/I do here in the florida panhandle.

Mike

Posted by Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some more stuff I employ in whackin-n-stakin' hoglets........

I have a "feeder light" made by Elusive Wildlife Technologies installed on this feeder. It has three LED's that come on at night plus a 12 volt battery and solar panel.

[Linked Image]

It is a dedicated unit that I've had on this location for about two years with no problems other than switching out a battery last year. Expensive, but well made.

[Linked Image]

http://www.kill-light.com/FEEDLITE-Automatic-Hog-Light-System-with-T-Post-Mount-Ready-to-FDL104.htm

I also use their "kill light feeder light". Truth be known, I'm much happier with these than the expensive light. They have three strong magnets on the back plus three hooks. you can pop em' on the base of a metal timer unit, inside a coon cage, or use bungees.

[Linked Image]

http://www.kill-light.com/Kill-Light-Feeder-Light-0094922580627.htm

I have three that I put on the first night when I go up to my lease. Four c-cell batteries last the four or five nights I'm there. Can also be rigged with a solar panel and battery.

Something else I truly enjoy for night-time varminting as well as perforating hoglets...

The XLR-250 kill light

[Linked Image]

http://kill-light.com/Kill-Light-XLR-250-Gun-Package-SINGLE-MODE-KLP224.htm

I luv it when a plan comes together.

[Linked Image]

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/08/14.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
nice

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I think so too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Model 12, is good for all things needed.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
GW that top pig picture is a RINO -mature trophy boar right there ..

Posted by Bristoe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 65 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,683
Posts18,534,399
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.