Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Originally Posted by duckster
Just maybe, people that have mental issues are more likely to be on psychotropic meds. Association but not necessarily causation.

that is exactly it, I take a lose dose of adderral for Adult ADHD, I have no depression issues, suicidal tendencies or an violent behavior. My biggest issue is I forget simple boring Day-day tasks that was causing a huge strain in our marriage, and the inability to focus on tasks i don't enjoy, this little drug has been a marriage saver for us, and I have lost my extra 30 lbs I didn't need to be carrying around, am I a disturbed psychopath, no, and there are a lot of people who are on psychotropic drugs for a variety of reasons, most commonly depression, but I know some anti-depressants are also used to treat migraine headaches as well.

While most or all of these shooters with out question had some sever mental disorder or something evil inside them psychotropic meds are not the cause.
Man, sounds like I should be taking what you take.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
When did all these mass shootings begin? About the same time these drugs came to market. People were crazy before then, but mass killings didn't happen.

Thats right, and back in the day you were either committed to an institution and locked away or, the crazy/stupid/mean was beat outta you. wink

Gunner

Mass killings and rampage killings went on before the meds came into public use.

They also took place when there were more mental institutions locking away the mentally ill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_murderers_and_spree_killers_by_number_of_victims

Click on "Americas" on the list, and they have a wider view of the numbers of these incidents.

The long and short of it is that mass killings occur when some lunatic gets it in his head that killing lots of folks is what he wants to do.

It isn't guns that cause it, it isn't the drugs, nor the period in history. There are more of them now because there are simply more people on earth... and when you have more people, you increase the chances that one will be born that will fulfill what the little voices in his head tells him to do. If they didn't have a gun, they would still commit mass killings. They would use a knife, a match and gasoline, or a stolen dump truck...but they will strive to succeed in what they get in their heads they need to do.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Mass killings and rampage killings went on before the meds came into public use.

They also took place when there were more mental institutions locking away the mentally ill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_murderers_and_spree_killers_by_number_of_victims

Click on "Americas" on the list, and they have a wider view of the numbers of these incidents.

The long and short of it is that mass killings occur when some lunatic gets it in his head that killing lots of folks is what he wants to do.

It's isn't guns that cause it, it isn't the drugs, nor the period in history. There are more of them now because there are simply more people on earth... and when you have more people, you increase the chances that one will be born that will fulfill what the little voices in his head tells him to do. If they didn't have a gun, they would still commit mass killings. They would use a knife, a match and gasoline, or a stolen dump truck...but they will strive to succeed in what they get in their heads they need to do.
Logic, not emotion. Good post.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Did you watch the vid I posted? It's worth the 11 minutes and is full of pros that aren't " talking out their ass again".

A lot of these suicides and mass killings were done by people being treated for relatively minor conditions. In short, they weren't fuggin crazy, until they were put on these drugs...period.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lotta good points there B-Bar.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There are less outlets for the psychopaths today. Throughout time man has been in a constant state of war/battle etc. It was no big deal to go into your neighboring country 200 years ago and rape, pillage etc. Good work for psychopaths and it kept them busy for centuries.

300 years ago, many of today's psychopaths were likely battlefield heroes

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just maybe, people that have mental issues are more likely to be on psychotropic meds. Association but not necessarily causation.

It's a chicken or the egg discussion.

My view is that these drugs create ticking time bombs in certain people.

Or that some people are ticking timebombs.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There are less outlets for the psychopaths today. Throughout time man has been in a constant state of war/battle etc. It was no big deal to go into your neighboring country 200 years ago and rape, pillage etc. Good work for psychopaths and it kept them busy for centuries.

Even true today, lots of special forces/leo types are indeed fully functioning psychos.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
When did all these mass shootings begin? About the same time these drugs came to market. People were crazy before then, but mass killings didn't happen.

Thats right, and back in the day you were either committed to an institution and locked away or, the crazy/stupid/mean was beat outta you. wink

Gunner

It isn't guns that cause it, it isn't the drugs, nor the period in history. There are more of them now because there are simply more people on earth... and when you have more people, you increase the chances that one will be born that will fulfill what the little voices in his head tells him to do. If they didn't have a gun, they would still commit mass killings. They would use a knife, a match and gasoline, or a stolen dump truck...but they will strive to succeed in what they get in their heads they need to do.
Very good post. There are many people on Psychotropics who have never and will never commit a crime. Also, as was said earlier, are the killings a function of the drugs or are they a function of the crazies who happen to be on the drugs? Another allusion is the drugs themselves triggering something in a minute amount of folks. Psychotropics have helped a lot of people who otherwise would be warehoused away in some medieval institution but who with the drugs, are able to be productive members of society.

Those of us who oppose new laws know the anti's are simply using this issue to create more classes of prohibited persons who will NEVER get their gun rights back. Who here has never been depressed? When do you seek help for that depression? Some turn to psychotherapy and others turn to an MD who prescribes them an ant-depressant. Should every person who has ever sought help for depression or some other malady be forever prohibited from owning a weapon?

The whole thing is just one more issue to divide and eventually conquer gun owners by convincing simpletons that anybody who even looks a little shaky should be forever banned from owning a weapon lest the rest of us lose our rights to hunt Prairie Chickens with our 1100. It is always the person, not the tool and the person who commits a crime should be held accountable, not somebody who might commit one because they resemble somebody else who did. Typical liberal, elitist mentality.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not so. Mass murders have been happening since the dawn of man and not just by Governments.

Sick people do sick things. Asylums had their place in society. Too bad the poor care people got in them ruined it for the rest of us...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
It's just my opinion Kevin. Hell if it's so simple, prove me wrong.
That's my point, I don't see that you can PROVE it one way or another; AT THIS POINT. This is something that can be SCIENTIFICALLY proven or dis-proven. Correlation doesn't mean causation, but it sure the hell means that someone ought to look a little deeper; on that we can agree.

With all the money that this government spends, surely we could fund a scientific study to see if these meds are preventing more than the cause, or are the causation.

We know that most of the meds do suppress psychotic tendencies; that's how they got approved by the FDA. And that little nasty side effect of causing what you're trying to stop, well I'll bet there's a whole lot less science behind that, because that's just something that's inconvenient for the drug companies.

So just a straight up triple blind study ought to cover the issue; this really shouldn't be a hard one to do.

NO grant funded or government agency or pharmaceutical company is going to spend money to prove it might be "their drug" as part of the problem. Its so much easier to blame the gun and the gun is a useful scapegoat. When they outlaw guns people will just beat each other to death or the more creative will use Machete's or swords.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've seen what people do to each other in brazil, thailand, india and africa with machetes, not pretty, but effective nontheless.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari

It's a chicken or the egg discussion.

My view is that these drugs create ticking time bombs in certain people.

Or that some people are ticking timebombs.

and that is why
1. guns need to be readily accessible
2. concealed carry needs to be widely available, and
3. "gun-free" zones need to be limited in scope and few in number.

so such a ticking time bomb can be quickly neutralized if he decides he wants to become a mass murderer. Just knowing that they might be stopped before they killed anyone, or killed very many, might be enough to deter some of the ones who are crazy but still have some ability to think through possible scenarios.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Not so. Mass murders have been happening since the dawn of man and not just by Governments.

Sick people do sick things. Asylums had their place in society. Too bad the poor care people got in them ruined it for the rest of us...

OK, then show me why a kid being 'treated' with drugs for minor ADD just snaps and shoots 10 people. Should that kid have been thrown into an asylum and the key tossed away because school simply bored the fugg out of him? That seems to be what you're advocating.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the word "stupid" works for me. It is easy to try to demonize something as a reason for irrational behavior. Wacked out people have always been with us. I am pretty sure in every case in recent times there were people that saw the wacked behavior but what process that works in dealing with them? In the older days there were simpler methods of dealing with this.
I keep going back to i think it was maltus's theory, put some rats in a cage with plenty of food and water. They will eventually reproduce to such a degree as you start witnessing abnormal behavior for them.
People are the same. It's a giant lab experiment and you are seeing the results.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

OK, then show me why a kid being 'treated' with drugs for minor ADD just snaps and shoots 10 people. Should that kid have been thrown into an asylum and the key tossed away because school simply bored the fugg out of him? That seems to be what you're advocating.

Straw man, and you know it.

Several mental illnesses don't fully develop until later in life. Sometimes they develop slowly, sometimes they spurt, and so on. And yes, psychotic breaks do happen as do fugue states.

This has been well documented long before modern medication.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If someone is mentally ill, they are treated with drugs today.

The practice of treating mental illnesses in the world today is pretty much limited to use of drugs. So, I can guarantee you, if someone has signs of mental illness that are outwardly expressed and recognizable, that person WILL be on some sort of meds.

Drugs have taken the place of any physical mental treatments, and have certainly taken over where mental facilities used to keep them out of public.

It's not indicative to convince anyone that the drugs cause mass killings. It IS however indicative to reasonable state that the largest percentage of mass killers are mentally ill.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Even true today, lots of special forces/leo types are indeed fully functioning psychos.

Gunner
The psych evaluation for SF is very rigorous, and it's ongoing. Maybe one gets through every now and then. Maybe one turns every now and then. But to say "lots of"; sorry, that's just BS.

As for cops it's much the same. There are good cops and bad cops. There are very few whom have been proven to be psychopaths.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by GunGeek
It's just my opinion Kevin. Hell if it's so simple, prove me wrong.
That's my point, I don't see that you can PROVE it one way or another; AT THIS POINT. This is something that can be SCIENTIFICALLY proven or dis-proven. Correlation doesn't mean causation, but it sure the hell means that someone ought to look a little deeper; on that we can agree.

With all the money that this government spends, surely we could fund a scientific study to see if these meds are preventing more than the cause, or are the causation.

We know that most of the meds do suppress psychotic tendencies; that's how they got approved by the FDA. And that little nasty side effect of causing what you're trying to stop, well I'll bet there's a whole lot less science behind that, because that's just something that's inconvenient for the drug companies.

So just a straight up triple blind study ought to cover the issue; this really shouldn't be a hard one to do.

NO grant funded or government agency or pharmaceutical company is going to spend money to prove it might be "their drug" as part of the problem. Its so much easier to blame the gun and the gun is a useful scapegoat. When they outlaw guns people will just beat each other to death or the more creative will use Machete's or swords.
That's why I said "Independent Study".

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not just the drugs, there are literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of folks on these drugs. I believe it's a whole littany of things, changing the laws about commiting folks to the looney bin, destruction of the family through welfare, values, etc, but I see some of you already destroyed the argument about drugs as a stand-alone proposition...

Last edited by jorgeI; 06/10/14.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,473
Posts18,529,410
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.