Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good points by doc sandcritter, and a couple of others.

Another factor that is overlooked in the mix is what appears to be a shift in moral values, especially the reverence for life that is part of Judeo-Christian moral principles. It seems that too many people, including those who are not clinically mentally ill or legally insane, are all too willing to strike out and even commit murder over objectively trivial reasons.

Mental illness isn't a sufficient explanation. With rare exception, even serious mental illness doesn't override a person's morals. Even somebody who is batshit crazy doesn't automatically lose all moral constraints.

The cases where mental illness causes irresistable impulses, such as "voices" telling somebody to kill, are extremely rare.

My own speculative theory is that these tragic events are often rooted in a seemingly epidemic low tolerance for frustration, combined with a sense of entitlement (not necessarily material). In extreme cases adding mental illness, and/or substance abuse, to the mix creates a lethal combination.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Uriah
Never mind all that, where ya been, �Hawkeye?

Lookin' for his meds . . . . . . . lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Another major cause is the publicity these events garner.

That publicity is a major stimulant to potential perpetrators. They seem to crave it. each one trying to outdo the last.
I would say the evidence tends to support that. I find the coverage by the cable news outlets (CNN, FOX, CNBC) is just downright disgusting. (admittedly, I haven't watched ANY news coverage for well over a year; I don't even have a TV right now)

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Busy.

Well good to see you back.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Busy.

Well good to see you back.
Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39
One more time. Anybody who thinks that "mentally ill" is a simple concept, and that it's easy to determine, and to control the crazies, including keeping guns away from them, needs to become educated about about DSM V, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual used by psychiatrists and other health professionals.

Probably over 200 separate diagnostic categories, that could apply to many or even most people, at some time in their lives.

Paul
Exactly. And without statistics to back it up, it's certainly my sense of things that those doing the labeling certainly lean strongly to the anti-gun side of things.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
I stand corrected.

The NRA has revised their stance to support a mentally ill database

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...abase-thirty-eight-states-have-that-now/

In the past they were adamantly against any checks for gun purchases.
The NRA is routinely in support of more gun control. The majority of gun owners are simpletons who will and have been in support of their own disarmament.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39
Good points by doc sandcritter, and a couple of others.

Another factor that is overlooked in the mix is what appears to be a shift in moral values, especially the reverence for life that is part of Judeo-Christian moral principles. It seems that too many people, including those who are not clinically mentally ill or legally insane, are all too willing to strike out and even commit murder over objectively trivial reasons.

Mental illness isn't a sufficient explanation. With rare exception, even serious mental illness doesn't override a person's morals. Even somebody who is batshit crazy doesn't automatically lose all moral constraints.

The cases where mental illness causes irresistable impulses, such as "voices" telling somebody to kill, are extremely rare.

My own speculative theory is that these tragic events are often rooted in a seemingly epidemic low tolerance for frustration, combined with a sense of entitlement (not necessarily material). In extreme cases adding mental illness, and/or substance abuse, to the mix creates a lethal combination.

Paul

+1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
From the research I've seen (admittedly not comprehensive), the single best predictor of violent behavior, not necessarily mass killing, is youth. Of course researchers are discouraged from adding race to the mix, but one can speculate.

So, from the standpoint of resource effectiveness, we should deny guns to, say, all males under 40. Of course, no guns to any young black male, however law abiding. The Constitution be damned.

See how ridiculous a statistically based approach is? Yet, even some of those who easily recognize that impracticality would deny gun rights to somebody like Walt Kowalski , Clint Eastwood's character in Gran Torino. Combat veteran, Silver Star, depressed, likely with PTSD, and alcoholic. You know, one of those dangerous, crazy, patriotic, conservative white males.

Simple? Common sense? Not.

Paul

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sandcritter

Now, take the same person and treat his/her mental illness, with good intentions all around. The medication works - the patient is overall more functional than they were. And what happens? That individual is sufficiently functional to carry out crime/murder.

... it's complicated isn't it?

Sometimes, after a violent crime has been committed, we find that the perp had been doing well on his medication, then he stopped, or lowered his dose, or mixed old and new meds in order to find what he thought was the best mix.

And he often appears to have committed his crime on a kind of backslide between that place where he's functioning well and that other place where he's curled up in a fetal ball.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Over 3 million kids are on Ritalin.

People should be horrified by that fact. Friggen drugging grade schoolers so they 'conform' is inherently evil. WTF isn't there more outrage?

Tom Cruise was right!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Exactly. And without statistics to back it up, it's certainly my sense of things that those doing the labeling certainly lean strongly to the anti-gun side of things.

I don't think that's mere speculation or stereotyping. Both APAs (psychiatry and psychology) clearly lean to the left.

My best friend, a psychologist licensed in several states, and a strong self-defense advocate and a helluva good shot, wrote a blistering letter of resignation to the APA, for just that reason.

It's naive to think that professionals, either as individual practitioners or in their collective associations, don't have biases and are influenced by them.

It isn't supposed to work that way, but it does.

Paul

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
When did all these mass shootings begin? About the same time these drugs came to market. People were crazy before then, but mass killings didn't happen.

Not so. Mass murders have been happening since the dawn of man and not just by Governments.

Sick people do sick things. Asylums had their place in society. Too bad the poor care people got in them ruined it for the rest of us...

OK, then show me why a kid being 'treated' with drugs for minor ADD just snaps and shoots 10 people. Should that kid have been thrown into an asylum and the key tossed away because school simply bored the fugg out of him? That seems to be what you're advocating.

If this kids is truly being treated with "drugs" (plural), then by definition, he does not have a "minor" condition! ADD or otherwise.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

People should be horrified by that fact. Friggen drugging grade schoolers so they 'conform' is inherently evil. WTF isn't there more outrage?

Tom Cruise was right!

I don't know what Tom Cruise said about it but the old name for "ADD" was "being a boy."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There were mentally unstable people prior to the 1960s (when the prescription, by psychiatrists, of psychotropic medications started becoming routine in the general population), yet there was not even a small fraction the rate of these types of murders.

Where is the data to establish that the frequency of "mass murders" per capita has gone up in the time frame referenced?

I don't think that's been established.

In fact, I recall hearing the results of a study not too long ago that said the frequency had remained fairly constant.

Could be that mass murders just seem to be more frequent because news travels faster and is sensationalized ad nauseum.

Back in the day, if a mass murder happened, it'd be in the newspaper for a day or three. Not on TV and the internet 24-7.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
(*) The 21st century personality disorder, or 21CPD, is what has replaced borderline personality disorder as the most intense headache for psychiatrists in the new millennium. It's basically narcissism without grandiosity, but with an absolute refusal to consider one's own behavior, expectations, or perceptions of others as being pathological. The problem is always localized externally: "my fianc� is lazy and emotionally abusive, my psychiatrist is an [bleep], my boss is a jerk, my bank is a bunch of criminals (and it's their fault I'm overdrawn), the cops who arrested me for smoking pot are stupid for not spending their time chasing 'real' criminals, my child embarrasses me in public and so I'm taking her to a child psychiatrist." See? The locus is *always* external.

Take a read through the "manifesto" of the recent California killer and it is full of narcissism and "poor me" thoughts. I would agree with a couple of posters above that the combination of mental illness, lack of moral compass and screwed up family foundations all likely have inputs into these folks finally cracking and going on a rampage.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Tom Cruise was right!

I don't know what Tom Cruise said about it but the old name for "ADD" was "being a boy."

Yep, they're drugging the 'boy' right out of these kids. Maybe that why there are so many fhags in the younger generation. Food for thought.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 06/10/14.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The checklist for the actual diagnosis of psychopathy:

Factor 1: Personality "Aggressive narcissism"
� Glibness/superficial charm
� Grandiose sense of self-worth
� Pathological lying
� Conning/manipulative
� Lack of remorse or guilt
� Shallow affect (genuine emotion is short-lived and egocentric)
� Callousness; lack of empathy
� Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

Factor 2: Case history "Socially deviant lifestyle".
� Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
� Parasitic lifestyle
� Poor behavioral control
� Lack of realistic long-term goals
� Impulsivity
� Irresponsibility
� Juvenile delinquency
� Early behavior problems
� Revocation of conditional release

Traits not correlated with either factor
� Promiscuous sexual behavior
� Many short-term (marital) relationships
� Criminal versatility
� Acquired behavioural sociopathy/sociological conditioning (Item 21: a newly identified trait i.e., a person relying on sociological strategies and tricks to deceive)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by duckster
(*) The 21st century personality disorder, or 21CPD, is what has replaced borderline personality disorder as the most intense headache for psychiatrists in the new millennium. It's basically narcissism without grandiosity, but with an absolute refusal to consider one's own behavior, expectations, or perceptions of others as being pathological. The problem is always localized externally: "my fianc� is lazy and emotionally abusive, my psychiatrist is an [bleep], my boss is a jerk, my bank is a bunch of criminals (and it's their fault I'm overdrawn), the cops who arrested me for smoking pot are stupid for not spending their time chasing 'real' criminals, my child embarrasses me in public and so I'm taking her to a child psychiatrist." See? The locus is *always* external.

Very interesting, and seems to fit what I suggested. Any references?

Most of these types are just a royal PITA, not dangerous. Ask any supervisor. Glad I'm retired and no longer have to deal with employees. But when combined with other factors, it seems to be a common denominator in these seemingly senseless acts of violence.

Paul

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.