Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
We had a school principal here that made kids work off their lunch if they had no money. They had to wipe tables and help clean up.

A kid never had to go hungry or watch their lunch get tossed.

ahhh living in AK, is pretty grand

can remember Elementary school and gettin a note from the school secretary that we owed her $2 for our kid's lunch and to replenish his account

yah I'd be a lil pizzed if they turned my kid away from a meal

course not as pizzed as when my LPE account ran low after betting big on Denver and not getting anyone to take my calls

Bambi's stock has fallen in my book.

really good to see you post Bob, even if it's a post that made me want to spit.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
I feel for the kid, but what parent can't afford 40 cents? I'd LOVE to pay 40 cents for lunch.

Should have had some better family planning there....

I am getting more cold and hard headed the older I get, but I just hate .gov getting more money from me to feed, teach, house others kids...and then pay to teach em english.

I agree with you, Jeff. And I agree that I, too, am getting more no nonsense as I get older. At 40 cents per lunch I'm assuming that the kid is on some kind of low income
program.

Feeding other people's kids through my tax dollars bothers me, but not as much as someone working the kitchen that'd rather feed the trash can than a kid, just to make a point.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Graduating from high school in 1958 we ate in our school cafeteria; lunches 5 days a week were 10 cents daily and the chow was as good as I ate in the military....and THAT is saying something...cause US Army chow was damn hard to beat!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Send that family to AR!! I get notices for kids in my home room with accounts that are $20, $50, and one was $126 in the red. That's a little ridiculous!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
takes a real rodent to throw a kids meal away. I drove school bus in the past and I knew that a couple of the kids came from troubled homes. I would always ask (if I couldn't see) if they had a lunch. if no I'd give them my meal card, get it back on the home run and never missed it. I'm still alive today and hope they are too.

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/11/14.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Our policy is everyone eats. If you have money you get the regular meal. No money, you get a PBJ sandwich. No one goes hungry, but every kid in the cafeteria knows why you are eating PBJ. The accounts get taken care of pretty fast.

If they have a real financial need there are ways to deal with that. Roughly 50% of kids nationwide eat free anyway. More than that in some districts. The problem here is with families who have money, and just didn't pay.

Last edited by JMR40; 06/11/14.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Kids eat too much anyway...........look at the fat little chits.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
We had a school principal here that made kids work off their lunch if they had no money. They had to wipe tables and help clean up.

A kid never had to go hungry or watch their lunch get tossed.

That makes way too much common sense to work in most school systems. That principal would be summarily fired around here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In 2014 60% of students in my counties school system got "free" or "reduced" lunches.

In 2015 ALL students will get "free" lunch. That's right, in order to keep from humiliating those on free lunch, the taxpayers are simply going to foot the bill for all breakfasts and lunches system wide.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope all is well your way,Mike. I hope to see you in October.

Ya Bob, hope to see you too cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I just have to say sorry to this student, sorry to the parents," he said. "We made a mistake, we need to fix it, we're sorry."

That does not sound like a government employee to me. Is the food service provided by a private contractor?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

"My first instinct was to get a huge jar of pennies, and get it ready," Keys said. "I was going to take it down to the school and throw it on 'em."

He can put forth the effort to throw penny's at the school district but can't cough up the 40 cents to save his kid from embarrassment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the school was truely sorry, the server would be fired in front of a school assembly.
Humiliation does wonders.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

But to REALLY put this issue in context you' have to know how many parents attempt to merely blow off their kids' lunch debts and what this loss adds up to for the school district every year.

Birdwatcher

Birdie, You would find it hard to believe how many people had accidents and had let their insurance lapse for non payment then claimed they had never gotten a premium notice. We sent a premium notice 30 days prior to renewal, an expiration notice after the due date with no payment and finally a lapse notice. One may have gotten lost but not all three.
Just askin' but did anyone try to call those policyholders? Send notice with signature required?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pat85

"My first instinct was to get a huge jar of pennies, and get it ready," Keys said. "I was going to take it down to the school and throw it on 'em."

He can put forth the effort to throw penny's at the school district but can't cough up the 40 cents to save his kid from embarrassment.

Amen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Barak
"I just have to say sorry to this student, sorry to the parents," he said. "We made a mistake, we need to fix it, we're sorry."

That does not sound like a government employee to me. Is the food service provided by a private contractor?

???

Sounds exactly like a public school Principal to me.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 405winash, 9 invisible), 948 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.