-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are cats alot bigger then 60lbs in the james. friend of mine caught a 78lber a few years ago.

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by birddog65
How does the soaps stay on the hook. Glad I posted this, lots of great info. Thanks to everyone!

That was always the problem with soap. It was hard to keep on a hook.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We would keep soap on the hooks until the next time we ran the lines, 12 hours or so give or take, that was long enough.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We could never get it to last that long. Personally I don't think dad was puttin' it on right. But I sure as he** wasn't gonna say anything. He fished that river looooong before my time! LOL! When it did stay it caught nice channels. Then again it may just have been the way the soap was.

He had a grasshopper box made out of an old dynamite box. We'd go out in the salt cedars with a Coleman lantern after dark, and catch grasshoppers. We seines bait too. We hardly ever spent money on bait. Except when he bought the soap.

My neighbor here was a real river rat. Spent all his time on the river. It was always hellgrammites for channels and perch for yellow cats with him. And he would drag home the fish. In my pre-marriage days he kept me from starving! LOL seems I'd tend to always show up at their house about grocery time!

Them folks are long gone. I miss em.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Why do you city slickers use a kitchen match to turn catalpa worms inside out? Dang...we just bite the head off and you can then use the hook to turn em inside out while hooking them.

I'm a refined redneck though...I spit the head out and don't swallow.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is the stuff for any catfish but flatheads. If you have Mexicans araound, you have Zote.

http://www.zote.com.mx/english/about.htm

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I remember reading in one of the Spanish priest's journals from the 1680's along the Rio Grande, that there was this one Indian neophyte who would always bring him a piltote, their word for a yellow cat. He stated it would be tied by the head to the saddle pommel, and tail would be dragging on the ground.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
there are cats alot bigger then 60lbs in the james. friend of mine caught a 78lber a few years ago.

My biggest is in the 80s. There have been a few "triple-digits" caught.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
blues on trot lines Asian carp cutt bait ,perch for flatheads bank poles Missouri river,channels any thing will work.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Top fish went mid-50s, bottom one is low 60s

Correct on the shad, Gizzard shad to be exact. We use a gill net for them.

I don't have many pictures of me holding fish, to give an idea of scale. 90% of the time I'm out there by myself.

Well if you ever want an official photographer I�d also pay for your gas and food.

In any case, congrats, that�s really impressive.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
4 or 5 cans of Kennel Ration dumped into a burlap sack with a brick in it. Tie the top closed with a piece of rope long enough to reach the top of the water from the bottom of the lake. tie a 1 gallon milk container to the other end of the rope & toss it into the lake. wait a few hours until the catfish start pushing on the sack to get at the dog food. toss your line where the milk container marks the spot. put a little peanut butter on a hook and you have an endless supply of catfish.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We could never get it to last that long. Personally I don't think dad was puttin' it on right. But I sure as he** wasn't gonna say anything. He fished that river looooong before my time! LOL! When it did stay it caught nice channels. Then again it may just have been the way the soap was.

He had a grasshopper box made out of an old dynamite box. We'd go out in the salt cedars with a Coleman lantern after dark, and catch grasshoppers. We seines bait too. We hardly ever spent money on bait. Except when he bought the soap.

My neighbor here was a real river rat. Spent all his time on the river. It was always hellgrammites for channels and perch for yellow cats with him. And he would drag home the fish. In my pre-marriage days he kept me from starving! LOL seems I'd tend to always show up at their house about grocery time!

Them folks are long gone. I miss em.

Possibly a difference in water? We always fished backwater eddy edges for channels on top, and the water flow was never much. Only pushed it far enough on to cover the barb, but not split or crack the soap.
If they didn't bite there was usually a dab of it left the next time we checked lines.

We had grasshopper boxes and did the same, but not out of old dynamite boxes... just plywood and wire mesh. Double layer of inner tube on top lapped over each other so you could snag, stick your hand down in, flip em off, and pull hand back through without loosing em.

Seined a lot over the yeras too. Unfortunately now the Colorado has so much moss etc.. you can't even seine for helgramites hardly. Way too much moss in the net to find them. That sucks.

But there are a bazillion shad down here now which we used to not have so many of. Times change.

We've bought soap, but I really enjoyed making my own, but have not done it for years now.

Getting time to fish the last years has been the main issue, and as such haven't caught anything more than a 54 about 5 years back, and only went once this year for a 15 and a 12 pound yellow.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
This is the stuff for any catfish but flatheads. If you have Mexicans araound, you have Zote.

http://www.zote.com.mx/english/about.htm

Did you read the link? Says made with Citronella oil. IIRC thats same as in some mild bug repellants.
HMMMM Wash outdoor clothes in it and see?

I don't think I"ve seen it here, but we have a mexican lineman that gets it for us when he goes back down south...I might have to look harder at HEB or Walmart though...

Anyone have a clue if my guess re repellant properties might be right? Even if it keeps the gnats at bay a bit better would be nice.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by velcro
4 or 5 cans of Kennel Ration dumped into a burlap sack with a brick in it. Tie the top closed with a piece of rope long enough to reach the top of the water from the bottom of the lake. tie a 1 gallon milk container to the other end of the rope & toss it into the lake. wait a few hours until the catfish start pushing on the sack to get at the dog food. toss your line where the milk container marks the spot. put a little peanut butter on a hook and you have an endless supply of catfish.

That sounds like a lot of fun, espcially for high-volume fishing action with kids.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Growing up a farmer down the road had a farm pond filled with channel cats he raised for sale.He let me catch some a few times a year,when they were reacy to net foe sal. he fed them pelleted fish food and the best way to catch the was to scrape the paint off a popping bug and throw it in with a handful of feed. 8 pound cat on a flyrod fun funfun

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Back when I was in college I had an aquarium. I bought a couple 3" blue cats at the pet store. When I was moving I asked my sister in law if I could put them in their large tank until I got mine setup. They agreed. The very first night they ate half their fish. Oops!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by velcro

Similar we sour maize in a bucket. Take it out by rocks on the lake in the morning, dole it out wiht a scoop and start fishing right away. Doesn't take them long to smell and start feeding. Usually fill a cooler half full fairly quickly. Worms on a hook under a small bobber...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rost495
We sharpened. And wondered about offset, looked like the way a flatheads mouth is, not offset sure might not snag anything...
Originally Posted by rost495
We sharpened. And wondered about offset, looked like the way a flatheads mouth is, not offset sure might not snag anything...
put the shank in a vice bend with a big set of klein's 3/8.
Important-sharpen and re-sharpen

Last edited by rickmenefee; 06/12/14.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Back when I was in college I had an aquarium. I bought a couple 3" blue cats at the pet store. When I was moving I asked my sister in law if I could put them in their large tank until I got mine setup. They agreed. The very first night they ate half their fish. Oops!

If it had been a flathead it would have eaten all of them.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Birddog65: I used to have lots of luck with a worm hook baited with one or two small power bait marshmallows and then a medium size worm.
I used a smallish bobber and a medium sized clamp on sinker about a foot above the hook/bait.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 66 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,810
Posts18,477,583
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.