Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Way back when, I bought two of these($300 total)From Springfield Sporters and wish I had bought one of those new extra barrels when they were available.

Didn't change any thing on them. Gave one to a friend and shot the heck out of the other. Long for a truck rifle but that's where it rode for many years.

Sent it down the road with most of my other firearms just recently.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Mine, a factory FN, shoots very well and is made as a proper rifle should be made. If weight is not a mater I cannot imagine a better hunting tool.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ED: You rifle and DF's 9.3 look entirely too retro,on the heavy side,and likely have not been blueprinted so may not shoot well. wink

Although it happens now and then,the extractor might not break,the rifle will function flawlessly with a handful of sand in the actions,and the bolt handles probably won't fall off. These are terrible burdens,and unfair to the animals you hunt because there is too much certainty that your rifle will work when you need it to... whistle .

This also detracts from the drama of the Internet, denying us all countless hours of entertainment.Maybe worst of all, neither rifle has a warranty frown

I don't want you guys to suffer from these shortcomings so you can send them here anytime these burdens become too much to bear. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep. That written, I do have a 270 Montana awaiting when I get back to the State's in October. May even dump some DBC down the hole... smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If you see a Sears JC Higgins snap it up; it's essentially the same action. I let one go that was offered for a song and I'm still kicking myself over that.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BobinNH, yourself and BC30cal are two of the ncest Gents to ever grace the innernets, I stand humbled and jealous of your levels of humanity and kindness. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
While these actions look like the FN's made for Sears/JC Higgins, they most definitely are not the same. Many of the JCH were way too hard approaching brittle. They had the C ring broached thru on both sides. The JC's are nowhere near the action that these 1950's actions are. Send it to me where it will have a proper home.

Last edited by RinB; 06/13/14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Uriah
If you see a Sears JC Higgins snap it up; it's essentially the same action. I let one go that was offered for a song and I'm still kicking myself over that.

There was a Higgins 270 cal in the classifieds not long back for 400 bucks, I've also heard they had very nice barrels on em too, the next one I see I may have to grab it up, that is if QuickDraw DF dont see it first. lol

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yet another 24HR act of kindness. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner, BC30 and I have the milk of human kindness oozing from every pore... wink smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, even a little bulb that shines as dim as mine can easily see this. smilelol

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by RinB
While these actions look like the FN's made for Sears/JC Higgins, they most definitely are not the same. Many of the JCH were way too hard approaching brittle. They had the C ring broached thru on both sides. The JC's are nowhere near the action that these 1950's actions are. Send it to me where it will have a proper home.

Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Now I feel a lot better about letting the one I saw get past me. I'm feeling pretty good about it, in fact. grin cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know about the C and H ring business, but I have never heard about those actions being too hard. Where did you hear that? What I've read is that most Mausers, except for crude wartime production, are surface hardened, but ductile underneath.

Sounds like a job for Mule Deer, who has played with these a good bit, I believe.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I'd suggest that RinB was imparting a little tongue in cheek humour on action hardness.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Photo demo to those who don't understand "C" and "H" Mauser configuration. Here's a photo of the 50's vintage FN 98. Clearly it's an "H", as you can see both raceways milled thru. The "C" version has only the extractor raceway milled thru, the opposite side is solid. Older Mausers and CZ's are "C". I'm not sure when FN went to the "H" configuration. "C", reportedly, gives better control of hot gases from case failure. I would assume "H" is cheaper to machine.

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I know about the C and H ring business, but I have never heard about those actions being too hard. Where did you hear that? What I've read is that most Mausers, except for crude wartime production, are surface hardened, but ductile underneath.

Sounds like a job for Mule Deer, who has played with these a good bit, I believe.

I think RinB meant they were too "hard" for you to keep. He was offering his rescue services to take those defective actions off your hands, for your protection, of course... shocked

DF

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Photo demo to those who don't understand "C" and "H" Mauser configuration. Here's a photo of the 50's vintage FN 98. Clearly it's an "H", as you can see both raceways milled thru. The "C" version has only the extractor raceway milled thru, the opposite side is solid. Older Mausers and CZ's are "C". I'm not sure when FN went to the "H" configuration. "C", reportedly, gives better control of hot gases from case failure. I would assume "H" is cheaper to machine.

DF

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pic and info .

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JC Higgins 30/06
HAven't had time to even work on load development, but it sure handles nicely.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
JC Higgins 30/06

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

nice !

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
JC Higgins 30/06

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I remember seeing those J. C. Higgins Mausers displayed at Sears as a youngster. I sure don't remember seeing wood even close to that handle.

Now, don't ya think something happened to that gun from it's debut at Sears to your safe.. ??

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ditto!

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,473
Posts18,471,466
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.