Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Got out of the ER with Safariman around 3:00 p.m. Discharge diagnoses included concussion. CAT scan showed NO bleeding on his brain and no fractures in his spine. He will need further tests to rule out other spinal or muscle injuries. The ER doctor prescribed flexeril [muscle relaxer]. We got the prescription filled and he took one. Later, when reading the discharge papers, I learn he isn't supposed to take any medicine that will make him feel drowsy or sleep for 24 hrs! Fortunately, I've been at home to wake him up every so often. Flexeril acts like a sedative.

He returned from Seattle today at 2:00 a.m. after meeting with a surgeon who specializes in PKD [Polycystic Kidney Disease]. He is very tired and could use a good night's sleep. I'm concerned about letting anyone who has suffered a concussion sleep for more than 2 hours at a time [for the first 24 hrs]. Does anyone have the training, knowledge, or experience to know if sleeping 8 hrs straight will cause further injury at this point? confused

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm no help but I am interested in what happened to cause the concussion. I suppose I missed it if you posted it already.

You can PM me if you're willing to share.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
I'm no help but I am interested in what happened to cause the concussion. I suppose I missed it if you posted it already.

You can PM me if you're willing to share.

He had a hard fall this morning. The paramedics and ER doc think his blood pressure got low enough to make him dizzy. I found him unconscious lying on our bedroom floor with a bad scrape to the back of his head. He was unresponsive at first. He opened his eyes in a few minutes, but had slurred speech. He couldn't remember he had gone to Seattle yesterday, the correct day, or month. In time, he was able to tell me who our president is. I think that's the first time I was happy to hear O's name.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Can't help medically but please give my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thought he might have been shooting a 600 or something!

Best wishes, Chris

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockdoc

Best wishes, Chris

Thank you Chris. smile

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I've been out of the field for some time now but the two hour checks for 24 hours is to check the level of conciousness. A decreased level or being unable to arouse might indicate active bleeding inside the skull. The Flexeril might confuse the issue.

If, when fully aroused, his memory is decreased, a return to the ER would be indicated.

As an aside, Flexeril has been know to cause bad/strange dreams.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I've been out of the field for some time now but the two hour checks for 24 hours is to check the level of conciousness. A decreased level or being unable to arouse might indicate active bleeding inside the skull. The Flexeril might confuse the issue.

If, when fully aroused, his memory is decreased, a return to the ER would be indicated.

As an aside, Flexeril has been know to cause bad/strange dreams.

I really appreciate this information! I'm setting my phone alarm to go off every 2 hrs to make sure he keeps getting better and not worse.

The ER doc got off on a rabbit trail about hunting, brass, guns, etc. and I thought we were never going to get out of there. crazy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd be concerned if not confused about his blood pressure being too low.

With PKD, mine runs high high high. Even with coreg, double max cozaar and nifedipine. I'm doing well to keep 130/90 if I dont even breathe a dusting of salt.

Gonna send a quick PM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Prayers sent for you and Mark.
Get as much rest as YOU can, Sherri.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
I'd be concerned if not confused about his blood pressure being too low.

With PKD, mine runs high high high. Even with coreg, double max cozaar and nifedipine. I'm doing well to keep 130/90 if I dont even breathe a dusting of salt.

Gonna send a quick PM

The ER doc is recommending that his PCP [primary care physician] decreases his blood pressure meds. He has been taking 5 different medications a day [some 2-3x's] because he was having way too high of BP as well. His cardiologist and nephrologist have been involved with the medication decisions and agreed with his PCP. It looks like the meds are doing what they are supposed to, but it's time for an adjustment. We will make sure and get in with his doc tomorrow. I'm so thankful that I had the day off. Otherwise, he could have been on the floor for hours.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prayers Sent.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers on the way.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Prayers sent for you and Mark.
Get as much rest as YOU can, Sherri.

Mark

Thank you Mark.

Guber, Gracie, Milo, Blue, Kiwi, and Cameo are all asleep. We're heading to bed and calling it a day. sleep

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The talk about hunting,brass,and guns may have been the Doctors way of assuring himself that it was safe to release Mark. smile

Last edited by websterparish47; 06/13/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Praying for Mark.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Will be sending up prayers for Mark and for yourself....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Prayers lifted up for both of you.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sending prayers!

Jeff and Carolyn

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rockdoc

Best wishes, Chris

First thought I had was he crashed his drag bike, hang tough SM.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers sent from here, as well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (37L1, Anaconda, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 16,640 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,194
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.