Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I own 2 nice .22 sporters with monte carlo stocks, thin forends with schnables and fairly heavy 23 or 24 inch barrels. These guns are virtually identical. Neither is pillar or glass bedded. They both shoot about the same. They are capable of .2 or less 50y groups and are also capable of having inconsistent groups. I shoot with $12.00ish ammo and use 6-18x AO variable scopes. Today I shot a couple of groups that were less than .2ctc. I also shot some groups that were .6ctc. There was a little wind but it was mostly a tail wind. Shot off of an adjustable front rest and filled rabbit ear bag on the rear. The groups that opened up were typically either a cluster and a flyer or two distinct clusters. I think what is happening is that these guns are shooting better than I am. My theory is that my grip or the position of the rifle in the rest is changing and causing shift in POI. Would bedding these guns help eliminate the poi shift? Could the fore end be so thin that it is contacting the barrel without my realizing it? I understand that these guns are not benchrest match rifles. I have been secretly hoping to shoot one of these with some of the rimfire benchrest crowd at my club one day. These guys shoot 5000.00 guns off of 1500.00 rests. I want to do well against them with a hunting rifle. Should I give up and be glad that I have accurate sporters or would pillar and glass bedding help this poi shift? I know this is an absurd pursuit but I have been messing with these rifles for a year or so and getting good but inconsistent results.

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I ran into the same thing. I found ELEY Tenex was most consistent and gave me what I expected. Haven't tried the Lapua Midas, but Center X meets my needs at $10.00 a box. The bench guys will usually beat you, well they will. I built my own BR rifle and couldn't compete without the High $$$, $1500 a case ammo. Your fore-end will give you fliers because it doesn't ride the bags properly. An 8 oz or less trigger helps. I have a CZ Lux with a sporter barrel thats shoots like yours. I have shot a 5/8 3 shot group at 200 yards with it, under perfect conditions. I have a Cooper with a 6/18 scope and a 20 oz trigger. It will shoot .2 CTC five shot groups at 50 yards, that with the Lapua Center X. The SKG Standard Plus shoots almost as well but not near as consistent. The Lapua Midas ammo is not what I need based on the price. The Test Target was shot with that ammo and it was less than .1 CTC. I have shot several groups close, but alas not there. The rifle wins Turkey Shoot matches when I'm watching conditions, wind and mirage. The mirage will kill you if you aren't paying attention. If you go to compete with the big boys, a 240 or above will be good for the RBA targets. Just go and have fun and shoot your rifle in all three classes. You will have to meet the sporter weight of 7 1/2# and tape your scope at 6X. From your description, the rifles will be over 7 1/2# though. My Cooper hits 7# 9oz. I will have to use lighter scope mounts to meet the weight. I'm just not shooting RBA today. Go shoot and you can talk a bit of "smack" if you beat some of the full up bench guns with your sporter. Hey, its down to the shooter not the equipment on any given day. Learn to shoot the conditions. Just saying...

Estacado

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
estacado, I have tried the Midas+ and was shooting Center X today. These rifles are 1422 Anschutz. I have a great deal to learn about wind. You are correct that the rifle does not ride the bags well. The rear swivel stud and cheekpiece cause issues with the rear bag and the forend is skinny and round. I really do hope to beat some of the bench guys. Mostly hope to learn some stuff from the bench guys when playing in their backyard. They are very nice guys at my club.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are you using wind flags?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
No but guess that would be a heck of an idea. How many for 50y?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.americanrimfire.com/media/rules/ARA-2011-Rules.pdf

One thing, if you beat these guys with a sporter, they get pizzy and you are an outcast. BTDT. Also if you can shoot up/ down hill you have a good chance to win. I found out that them 5000 dollar guns can only shoot the popcorn fart on a totally level range.

Swifty
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Go over to Sniper Hide on the rimfire section. There are some neat targets shot by members that are extremely good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hang some pics of your rifles.

It pleases me to hear that your D KL is shooting so well.

Bench shooting is about removing variables, right?

Have it bedded.

Better rests.

Keep trying the pricey ammo.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Give up and buy a true rimfire comp. rifle to achieve what you are looking to do. You ain't going to do it with your rifle, a set of sandbags, and no windflags. You will be embarrassed.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Shooting groups is a good way to check consistency of your ammo and rifle, but it isn't how the matches are scored. You need to start shooting the targets your club uses; IR 50, ARA, ??. Only then will you be able to see how you compare to the big guys. Reading the wind flags and being able to precisely move from target to target is a large part of shooting a good score.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
At the end of the day the idea is to hit the spot in the middle. I am working that direction next. Have appreciated the input on the wind flags. Will be buying some soon.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr Bonefish, I am a Winchester guy, started with a CMP 52C target with a mismatched bolt and beat up stock, the thing shot like a house afire! bought myself a Civilian 56' 52C target that was minty ,I doubt it had 100 rounds thru it, I am not sure it shot better than the old beat up one, I then found a Zanders HB sporter that shoots almost as well as the target, later I was able to buy a 56 sporter, Im not sure it shoots better than the zanders. I can tell you if you ever find the old Fed UM1 ammo, buy it. I just play with pals at 100 yards, only a hit in the black of the orange stick on targets ( 3 inch) counts as a beer bet. Loads of fun and will make you learn to read the wind, ect. go back to page one and read Mr Butch Lamberts post real well. have fun! very best winpoor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (204guy, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 3,160 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,960
Posts18,499,168
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.