Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We are probably going to be giving up our collie mix soon. He's . . . well, let's just say that he's probably going to go and be done with it, at least for now. It's a long story.

The problem is how to fill the void. Let me give you some facts:

We are gone from the house during the day, but the dogs have the run of the yard via a dog door.

We have a 12 yr old beagle mix. She's a well-behaved dog. She's smart, but like most Hillbillies, she likes to hide the fact.

My wife is feeling very bad about the impending loss. This was her dog.

The dog we are losing was a replacement for Barney, the Wonder Dog. He was a shepard-collie mix with incredible powers. He could work a dead bolt lock and the doorbell. He knew how to work a cable TV remote. The current dog was picked more for his looks. He is smart, but not quite in the right ways.

We tend to like smart dogs. We spend a lot of time with our dogs. Our dogs end up understanding complex sentences and complex commands. Barney and I used to watch Film Noir together. The Beagle prefers the Weather Channel.

I'm less than 8 years from retirement. KYHillChick is retiring this summer, and changing professions. Angus is due to graduate High School and move out. We're skeedadlin' to our farm and not looking back.

We spend weekends at our farm. I've spent the last 12 years making deer camp a year-round weekend lifestyle.

We have a coyote problem and a feral dog problem. The dog that is leaving us can eat a coyote. That is not a requirement, but suffice it to say that powder puff dogs need not apply.

I've got a 2 yr old grand child. More grand kids are expected over the next decade. The next dog must be able to dig kids.

Of course KYHillChick is saying "Never again." That will change with time. I'm figuring by fall we can start looking.

What breeds would y'all recommend?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to say Jack Russel until you mentioned coyotes & feral dogs. Jack Russel's biggest drawback is that they have no fear , they will take on ANYTHING , to the point of getting themselves killed.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, there was a JR terrier that lived just up the road. It never came home. My personal preference has been large dogs with some size-- 70,80 lbs. However, that can change. Lily is large for a beagle @ 40 lbs. My main worry is that the dog should be large enough and smart enough to stay out of trouble.

Yappie dogs are a turn off. My dogs normally bark once and make someone with ill intentions void their bowels.

Last edited by shaman; 06/16/14.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I recommend considering an Original Mountain Cur. They're fantastic dogs. The only downside I know of - and I don't consider it to be one - is their loud, sharp, ear-splitting bark. Well, that and, also, as treeing dogs they are a form of baying dog so they sometimes want to play by putting you at bay. It's just play, and you can call them off of it, but for those who aren't aware of what's going on it can be unsettling. But, each breed has it's characteristics.

If memory serves Field_Grade and Safari_Man both have one.

Lot's of info to be found here: sqdogcentral

(Fyi OMCBA = Original Mountain Cur Breeder's Association)

And, there should be a lot of them around in Kentucky

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Hmmm, I just saw the coyote part as well. A coyote can kill a lone mountain cur. But I wouldn't bet on a coyote against two of them.

You may want to also consider a blackmouth cur (the original "Old Yeller") or one of those big Lousiana catahoula curs. A catahoula could probably shred a coyote.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great Dane

Really

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Danes are super great doggies !!!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shelter

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I say get a Scottish Terrier. laugh

Sam......

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Boxer

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Uriah
I recommend considering an Original Mountain Cur. They're fantastic dogs. The only downside I know of - and I don't consider it to be one - is their loud, sharp, ear-splitting bark. Well, that and, also, as treeing dogs they are a form of baying dog so they sometimes want to play by putting you at bay. It's just play, and you can call them off of it, but for those who aren't aware of what's going on it can be unsettling. But, each breed has it's characteristics.

I agree with all of the above.
Those Cat's are gritty as hell, smart too.
They're more dog than I like these days though. (That Beagle's more my size:)
Curious why you're worried about the new getting mixed up with Coyotes/Feral's but not the Beagle?

Anyways,,, I'm partial to Curs and Shorthairs but if your not a bird hunter I'd go with a OMC or Blackmouth and keep em home nights.
Luck

Edit to add self indulging pic. blush

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/16/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if I would put my money on a Great Dane against a pack of coyotes. That requirement is kind of out there, I think.

Do you hunt birds?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Airedale

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a Brittany spaniel pup. You'll be hooked for life. Females are more bidible.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Uriah

I agree with all of the above.
Those Cat's are gritty as hell, smart too.
They're more dog than I like these days though. (That Beagle's more my size:)
Curious why you're worried about the new getting mixed up with Coyotes/Feral's but not the Beagle?

Anyways,,, I'm partial to Curs and Shorthairs but if your not a bird hunter I'd go with a OMC or Blackmouth and keep em home nights.
Luck

Edit to add self indulging pic. blush

[Linked Image]

Great picture. I hope to be half as successful with my dog as you've been with yours. Getting bobcats with them is the ultimate test of the breed, in my opinion.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Dutch
I don't know if I would put my money on a Great Dane against a pack of coyotes. That requirement is kind of out there, I think.

Do you hunt birds?

Umm, that's a new requirement, I think. NO dog can stand up to a pack of coyotes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would look at an Anatolian Shepherd and or maybe a Russian Mountain Shepherd.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would agree, Danes are out. The blood lines have been to heavily bred for confirmation showing.
The Irish Wolfhound is nearly as bad, though there are breeders focused on coursing strengths. Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound) basically the same.
The Scottish Deerhound has a much stronger following of breeders in the field (coursing) dog bloodlines. Be aware their intense prey drive means that small animals like cats, toy poodles (any dust mop dog really) and barnyard fowl tend to be fare game for chase.

I used to course coyote with an IWH and know for fact one IWH can hold it's own with one coyote and three greyhounds.

That makes me think of an alternative.
If you have a dog track local look into adopting two or more of the retired race dogs. Greyhounds make great family dogs. But then again, their prey drive and small animals,,,

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are keeping it outside, a Great Pyrenees. Love children, hate coyotes. Hate heat, love cold. All that I have ever had, blood trail deer on a leash with just a little encouragement. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am biased, but I would look at a German Shorthaired Pointer (or two). Smart, great family dogs and they can take care of themselves around coyotes. They can and will hunt anything, including coyotes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.