Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#8953888 06/17/14
W
whit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
My wife wants to buy a new cooler for camping. I don't want to spend the money for a Yeti or one of the expensive nock offs. I have been thinking of one of the Coleman Xtreme or the Igloo Maxcold. Anyone have either of these and care to give me your opinion?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had good luck with the Igloo Maxcold models. And for a "cheap" Cooler, that would be my choice.

What ruins my coolers, is leaving them in the bed of my truck all year in the blazing TX heat.
I got tired of buying a couple of new coolers ever year, and finally bought a Yetti. I've had my first Yetti for the last 7 years now. Other than a few scratches, it still looks new & cools like it did when it was new.
Expensive, yes. Worth it ? Depends, I figure I've paid for it by now by not having to buy a new $50 cooler twice a year.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
http://youtu.be/6-TE4RnqT0U

After watching this I wouldn't spend the money on a Yeti...

Public landowner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow...the Coleman did better keeping ice than the Yeti!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was very surprised to see that as well! I always thought the Yeti could be noticeably better...

Public landowner...
IC B2

W
whit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I wish the Coleman's would have stainless steel hinges like the Igloo.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a couple of the Coleman Xtreme and couldnt be happier. I live out of my coolers all fall during the bow season and am always impressed. I always prechill the cooler with ice the night before and then very little ice for each trip and still always come back with ice in the cooler.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The main problem with all the other coolers, is that those cheap plastic latches and hinges, is they all end up breaking due to deteration from sun light exposue, and all those small screws end up falling out.
For those of you who live up North, and don't have 100 consecutive days of over 100 degree heat, those "cheaper" coolers may work fine.

But after seven years of living in the back of my truck, my Yetti hinges & rubber latches still look new. And in the Texas heat, my Yeti keeps Ice longer than any of them.

Of course, I pre-chill my Yeti with block Ice before I load it with food or drink. And that makes one heck of a difference on any cooler you use. If you throw ice in any hot cooler that's been setting out in the 100 degree heat all day long, it's never gonna last.

I make my block ice for Pre Cooling by freezing 1 gal water jugs in my big freezer.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the Coleman and igloo extended use coolers with great success. The key is the lid seal. Closing them with friction strap or ratchet tie down extends the ice by a huge factor in my experience. Mine are a few years old and have held up well.

When the hinges go I replace with web straps.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
get a Yeti and get it over with........

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
The main problem with all the other coolers, is that those cheap plastic latches and hinges, is they all end up breaking due to deteration from sun light exposue, and all those small screws end up falling out.
For those of you who live up North, and don't have 100 consecutive days of over 100 degree heat, those "cheaper" coolers may work fine.

But after seven years of living in the back of my truck, my Yetti hinges & rubber latches still look new. And in the Texas heat, my Yeti keeps Ice longer than any of them.

Of course, I pre-chill my Yeti with block Ice before I load it with food or drink. And that makes one heck of a difference on any cooler you use. If you throw ice in any hot cooler that's been setting out in the 100 degree heat all day long, it's never gonna last.

I make my block ice for Pre Cooling by freezing 1 gal water jugs in my big freezer.

Hmmmm had my Coleman extremes going on 8 years now....they work wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recently spent a good chunk of this years hard earned fur money on a Yeti so let's not turn this into another Yeti bashing thread eh. grin
I've only used it a few times (and fortunately I don't have to deal with 100+ temps) but I'm pretty impressed so far.
Being bear proof was one of my deciding factors if that matters in your area.
Can't speak for the others as I've always been an Igloo man prior to this.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The yeti tundra 45 is $350 and the coleman extreme 58 quart is $85. Get 4 of the colemans and be money ahead. I have had nothing but great luck with the Coleman Extremes I own (and have owned for many years). This video was already posted and the the Igloo was the best bang for your buck (and they are correct)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by DIYguy; 06/18/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by whit
My wife wants to buy a new cooler for camping. I don't want to spend the money for a Yeti or one of the expensive nock offs. I have been thinking of one of the Coleman Xtreme or the Igloo Maxcold. Anyone have either of these and care to give me your opinion?

I've had a Maxcold for quite some time now. The hinges broke off (of course) but that was due to a moron and not a reflection of the quality of the cooler.

The cooler has seen endless use as a seat, cooler and cutting board and still insulates well.

Block ice is your friend. So is alcohol.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My understanding is the Yetis and their clones are expensive due to their durability,their insulting properties are not quantum leaps ahead of the mid priced coolers.
In 30 years you will still be using your Yeti, and the Igloo Max cold types at hundreds less will need to have been replaced.

Im not gonna live 30 years, so guess which one I have�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ive got coolers that are 25+ years old that didn�t cost a fraction of what a yeti does. The Colman extremes I have are many years old and will also last me many many more years as I care for my gear which means it�s a better value than a yeti or other overpriced coolers (like that youtube video showed).

I could buy 4 of the Colman extremes and use each one for 10 years (even though they will last much longer than that) and still not spend what a yeti costs of just one of them. I have 4 large coolers. 2 of them are the Colman extremes and the other 2 are igloo and combined they cost WAY WAY less than one yeti and offer 4 times more storage.

Its your money, you can spend 4 times more for � the cooler space if you wish. Some folks (not just BGE owners) think by spending more they are getting more or that they are better served by buying an overpriced item when you can buy smarter. grin

The OP posted:

�I don't want to spend the money for a Yeti or one of the expensive nock offs.�

I contend that since it is a point of concern for him that he does not need to spend the money on a yeti.

He posted:

� I have been thinking of one of the Coleman Xtreme or the Igloo Maxcold.�

That is smart thinking(from both a cost and performance standpoint)

He asked:

�Anyone have either of these and care to give me your opinion?�

A few of us do and did. He doesn�t want to spend the money on a yeti and he does not need to.

Last edited by DIYguy; 06/18/14.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a Yeti and love it. But if you arent going to use a cooler very often then I would recommend getting a Coleman Extreme.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're on our second one of these in 4-5 years. Easy to roll to softball games and holds ice really well. Recently bought a marine grade igloo that sucks for ice retention. Last hunting excursion, my buddy couldn't believe how well it did.

http://www.target.com/p/igloo-island-breeze-maxcold-50-quart-roller-cooler/-/A-11905898

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Why is it that the people who don't use yeti coolers big green egg cookers etc.....like to chime in and put them down? Coleman and igloo offer some nice less expensive coolers. Webber makes some wonderful cookers. The quality isn't the same and price reflects it. To me the extra expense is worth it obviously others don't agree. That's why we have so many options.

Just silly that just because a person doesn't want to spend the money it's considered "not smart" to do so.

Not singling anyone out.....I'm reffering to DIY and all his long winded stupid posts that rarely reflect anything but his own opinion.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd still like to see a cooker that's equal to the bge in all ways and way cheaper. I'm not saying it doesn't exist I'm just not aware.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,346
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.