-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an opportunity to buy (more like steal) a Kimber .22LR conversion kit and a Kimber .17 Mach 2 conversion kit...both look like they have never been used and come with 1 magazine each

Are these things worth it? Do they function decent? Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have the Kimber 22lr 1911 and it is satisfactory IMHO.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Kimber 22 conversion kit and it works great and very accurate, use good quality ammo if you want it to function well . Kimber recommends the CCI Mini Mags. The biggest problem with 22 conversion units is the Standard 1911 has a 23 lb Main Spring and this can cause problem with the conversion units. I changed out my main spring to a 19 lb spring and this makes the 1911 conversion units work faultlessly.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boococky
I have an opportunity to buy (more like steal) a Kimber .22LR conversion kit and a Kimber .17 Mach 2 conversion kit...both look like they have never been used and come with 1 magazine each

Are these things worth it? Do they function decent? Anyone have any experience with them?

I have a Kimber .22lr conversion kit which I use on two different Kimber 1911's.

I have owned it for about 4 years and have shot it mainly in bowling pin shoots. I have not tried a ton of different ammo with it, but it functions flawlessly with CCI Blazers. It's accurate and reliable.

However, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy a conversion kit of any brand. I initially liked the idea of practicing with my carry 1911 and cheaper ammo, but the lightweight nature of the conversion slide totally changes the feel of the gun--you don't feel like you're practicing with your carry gun. Even though the grips are the same and the trigger is the same, it's a different gun entirely. The balance is just way different.

If you buy a conversion kit instead of buying a pistol chambered in .22lr, you lose the benefit of having 2 separate guns. Two people can't shoot your guns at once. You can't loan one gun to somebody and hang onto the other.

So, yeah, they work great--I just don't see the utility of them. Of course, if you're going to get a screaming deal on one, then by all means, snap it up--the "cool factor" is worth something! smile

Take care!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Definitely worth it, IMO.
I have a Kimber .22 kit for my S&W 1911, and it works flawlessly, as well as being accurate. No jams or FTF's.

I wish they came with better sights. My S&W has a very nice trigger, better than most you will find on .22 semiautos, which helps with accuracy.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine is a great little unit, shoot's very well, works perfectly. Nice Bo Mar style sights, gives a beautiful sight picture. I'd buy another one, so if you have a chance to get one cheap, run don't walk.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks yall, I can get a beyond killer deal on this, and I could sell 1 and make money while keeping the other. A .17 Mach 2 seems really cool for a handgun and small critters but I am not sure it is very reliable as Kimber only kept them for a very short time

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,931
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.