Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
OP Offline
W
I'm going on a cross country camping tour in the coming weeks. Rounding the home stretch of planning and preparedness and wanted to see what everyone thought were essential items. The type of camping we're doing is drive in and set up tent near vehicle. These are free "boondocking" type campsites so no amenities like running water, electric or facilities. We want to be comfortable but plasma TVs, air conditioners and generators aren't on the list.

Number one for me was a .44 magnum but my brother's wife frowns upon it and given the number of jurisdictions we're passing through and considering the final destination (SoCal) it's just not a good idea.

So barring firearms, what do you guys think?

Last edited by WaltWhite; 06/18/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WaltWhite

Number one for me was a .44 magnum but my brother's wife frowns upon it and given the number of jurisdictions we're passing through and considering the final destination (SoCal) it's just not a good idea.

#1 on my list:

Leave your SIL at home.!

Staying in a campsite without a firearm for protection is just asking to be murdered by coked up meth heads...

R
R
If I'm not backpacking where weight is an issue, a good bottle of bourbon is usually near the top of my camping list.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Unopinionated wives are a good start.

Toilet paper and shovel are a close #2.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With that style of camping steaks beer bug spray fireworks

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I hate to disagree, but toilet paper is #1.

Everything else is optional. wink

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My priorities while camping are my booze, my sh*tpaper and my Copenhagen... and not necessarily in that order.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Damn, got beat to the answer of an eager, carefree girlfriend who likes to do it in the grass.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
WW, are you letting your SIL design your family's security plan? Traveling cross country and boondock camping call for such a plan. handgunlaws.us is your friend while travelling or the app legal heat for most smart phones. Unless you have a very large tent a big tarp and rigging is great for shade or rain. I consider a good headlamp for my wife and I both invaluable and can be used for many other events. Have a great time.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 06/18/14.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Coffee
Coffee pot and cup
Small stove to make coffee
Matches or lighter to light stove
Water for coffee
Rebecca Creek
Paper towels
Toilet paper
Wet wipes
Flashlight
Knives
Spoon
P-38
Woodford Reserve

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by WaltWhite

#1 on my list:

Leave your SIL at home.!

Staying in a campsite without a firearm for protection is just asking to be murdered by coked up meth heads...

You know that's a good point and I'm sure she'll see the light. I have a remington 1858 and a Hawken that should keep me out of trouble with overzealous rangers. Also a Browning BPS 20 gauge with a short (18") smoothbore slug barrel I can run buckshot through.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
US code on interstate transportation of firearms:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver�s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
WW. I don't mean to be an ass but you have rights that protect you from overzealous rangers as well as bad guys. Know your rights and have the BEST gear you need to protect your family. I won't intrude further and have a wonderful trip.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Coffee
Coffee pot and cup
Small stove to make coffee
Matches or lighter to light stove
Water for coffee
Rebecca Creek
Paper towels
Toilet paper
Wet wipes
Flashlight
Knives
Spoon
P-38
Woodford Reserve

Ed

If its car camping, I would add a couple of folding chairs, a fold up table, a Thermacell or some other insect protection to the list mentioned. A light like one of the little led camp lanterns would be nice.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I hate to disagree, but toilet paper is #1.

Everything else is optional. wink

Wrong.

You cannot go camping without a cooler full of beer. grin

*** There's leaves in the forest. Nature's TP. ***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Baby wipes are way better than TP, wash your hands, wash your cookware, wipe your azz. I'd rather have a case of a baby wipes for a cross country road trip than a case of beer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good bed and warm sleeping bag. If you get a good sleep, you can put up with most anything else.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I donn't know about the no firearm. I know of some dead people that were doing that along I40 in northern arizona. In a KOA or something like that maybe, but in an isolated camp area, for me not on your life.
There are a lot of wack jobs that travel the interstates and need to reprovison now and then. Just a thought as to what you are purposing, family member aside who doesn't have a clue.
I went to a funeral way many years ago, a coconino reserve deputy at the time. I was yavapai. He pulled into a campground that looked normal, wasn't, they handcuffed him to a tree and dumped a full load from his ar15 into him. There have been other incidents like some escaped prisoners on I40 that just killed some folks a few years ago. I also remember campers head shot in those nice tents during the night too. They are no protection against a two legged varmint.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/18/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Baby wipes are way better than TP, wash your hands, wash your cookware, wipe your azz. I'd rather have a case of a baby wipes for a cross country road trip than a case of beer.

I never go camping or on a long road trip without baby wipes or Wet Ones. I always had some on my boat too. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grouseman
A good bed and warm sleeping bag. If you get a good sleep, you can put up with most anything else.

this.....my new sleeping pad is better than most mattresses ive slept on crazy if yah cant get some good sleep camping quickly becomes miserable especially if you have to put up with people you dont always like being around....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,712
Posts18,514,048
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.