Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
This isn't really a custom rifle question, but I thought this would be a good place to get some info.

I have been thinking about replacing the Tupperware stock on a Savage. I don't want to spend a bunch on this rifle, but would like to improve the stock. Does anyone have experiences they can share regarding Boyd's walnut stocks? It looks like I can one with plain wood, finished and checkered for a couple of hundred bucks. Also, if anyone has any pics of how these turn out that would be great!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fan the JRS is a popular stock but all of the laminates are heavy. They will however give you years of service, take lots of abuse and keep on tickin. powdr

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fan the JRS is a popular stock but all of the laminates are heavy. They will however give you years of service, take lots of abuse and keep on tickin. powdr

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WITUfan, I have the laminate JRS and just as Powdr says it works fine and I don't mind that the stock as some weight.
I had no trouble putting the rifle together, Boyd's inlet was 'right on the money'.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of their walnut stocks on Howa actions. All dropped in with no fitting. Pretty good value for the price.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't see the Jon Sundra version listed. Maybe they got tired of paying him royalties. To me the JRS is the best stock they ever offered. I like it more than their current classic. They have few options but their inletting is great.

Roberts Microfit has all the options one could think of. But their inletting is TERRIBLE!!! So, unless you're a master woodworker who can patch gaps, deal with inletting that looks like the work of a drunk beaver, you're stuck with Boyds limited offerings.

IMHO,

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WITUfan
Also, if anyone has any pics of how these turn out that would be great!

JRS Laminate.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I do believe the JRS was discontinued a while back, replaced by their "Classic". IMO it was a downgrade.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Boyds recently has offered a number of up grades for their stocks. laser checkering, better recoil pads, grip & forearm caps and some higher wood grades!Check out the website. I have been thinking about up grading a very plain Ruger hawkeye stock . I have bought a couple recently and they are decent for the money. Inletting has been great. Buy with confidence. goodshot

Last edited by goodshot; 06/15/14.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wish Boyd would offer a Griffin and Howe or classic Mauser pattern with upgraded wood.

DF

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Craigster
I do believe the JRS was discontinued a while back, replaced by their "Classic". IMO it was a downgrade.

Yep.

The JRS was extremely workable Karnis reshaped mine and it's awesome.

They do offer wood upgrades again, and now laser engraved checkering. I just ordered a Prairie Hunter walnut w/ fleur de lis checkering, wrap-around on the fore end, for my son's custom 257 Bob.

I got a classic in pepper laminate that I'd like to send to Karnis if he'll take it. The laminates are more chubby than their walnut offerings and therefore heavier. This one is for a Savage to replace the factory birch.

As far as the OP is concerned, he really couldn't go wrong when compared to the factory Tupperware.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't have a walnut but i have bought four of their laminate (two as gifts) stocks for Savage, nice upgrade.
I prefer the Prairie Hunter pattern with the higher cheek piece to the Classic.
The laser checkering is great as the finish is a little slick if it's not checkered.
If it'll help I can e-mail photos.

Last edited by colodog; 06/15/14. Reason: add comment

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for all the info. I know anything I do would help that old plastic Savage. The rifle has sat in the safe a lot. I've shot it some, and even killed a couple of does with it once, but have been fairly indifferent about it. A decent stock would probably help.

goodshot, how do the Boyd's walnut stocks feel in the hand compared to the Hawkeye stock? I know that is subjective, but to me, a Hawkeye has the perfect feel in my hands.

I'm thinking of getting the standard walnut on this one and see how I like it, but Dirtfarmer's laminate looks really nice! Boyd's could really help their website with some nice pictures of finished stocks like that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fan the laminate w/the lazer checkering is the way to go. If it's money I would just wait and save a little more. Or if you get the plain walnut get it checkered. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

This is a boyds thumbhole on my 35 whelen.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still working on mine for an 1891 Mauser in the basic Prairie Hunter model:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Figure seems fine for a $70 stock.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have purchased nine of the Boyds laminate stocks. I have them in JRS and I have them in Classic. Love them all! I bought three in the past month. Very happy with all of them. Bought a butt stock for an old Marlin 336 in walnut and it is awesome too.
I have the laminates on three Mauser 98's, two 03-A3's, a Winchester Mod 70, a Ruger old Mod 77 with the tang safety, & a Remington model 788.

Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I ordered a walnut classic yesterday thinking it was a laminate. I called be to check this morning. They said the walnut was not a laminate. I said,"Could I please change to a laminate"? They said no. I had 2 choices according to them, take it or cancel. I canceled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

251 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,978
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.