Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
Elderly friend bought a laminated SS model in 6.5 Creedmore. He sent the rifle to the gunsmith to have him put on a muzzle break.

Threads stripped when the gunsmith tried to remove the barrel. Reason that threads stripped...barrel was started into the action crooked.

The entire package was sent back to Ruger, they said they would not warranty the gun due to the fact that the gunsmith removed the barrel...tough titty...$700 shot to Hell! They did offer him the same rifle in a blued version for $500....mitty WHITE of them don't you think???

I say, thank your lucky stars if you have a good Ruger, from now on, buy any other another brand on the market!
An obviously absolutely true story, because as we all know, you can't post anything on the internet that's not true.

Tell me, Little Man, can you post a copy of the work order and receipt that Ruger provides on each and every firearm they service? Or are we to take you at your obviously absolutely true word?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Ruger M77 is an excellent bolt action rifle made in the USA.

I got one about a decade ago and its been accurate and reliable.

Here is my M77 Express model in 270 Win. The bolt handles do not fall off of Ruger 77's! smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rotary phone!? I remember those. Back on topic; I'll keep buying Ruger MkII's when I find them. NEVER had a accuracy issue with 'em, They just seem to be shooters. In between rifles, I 've been buying Fender guitars lately. Much fun.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 1976 tanger in 7x57 and have had NO barrel issues that one reads about all over the net

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had better than (30) 77's through the years,covering the lineage nicely from Round-tops on through. Never had a "bad" one.

Their Hornet chambers are sloppy and a punch to "K",a great move on several levels. Have been around some supposed "bad" ones,but it was always a fastener issue.

Am at ease in building upon 'em too and have had Customs on the lineage,again going back to Round-tops and on through.

Rugers will never be light,but they take a lick well and one never needs to give them a fret.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've had tang's and mkII's from .223 to .338wm. Really, really like my tang 77rsi .308. Still pissed i had to sell a boat paddle .35 Whelen 2-3 years ago.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Really!!! nobody has told Savage 99 nice wood!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've owned 5 Ruger M77 rifles. First was a .270 tanger in the 70'2 that shot very well. Sold it because it was heavy. Had a .243 heavy barrel tanger with mediocre accuracy, and traded it off. Got a stainless Mk II in .30-06 that I had a trigger job done. It was not a great shooter when new, but became very accurate after some break-in. The action is now pretty slick as well.
Later I bought a used .30-06 and .270 tangers that I put into B&C stocks, which cut the weight by almost 1/2 pound! Both of them shoot well.
Biggest regret is my LGS had 2 M77 Hawkeyes in .35 Whelen (one blue, one stainless) for a couple years, and I never bought either one.
The next Ruger I buy will probably be an American in .308.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
guns are like old girlfriends, there is always one that we regret loosing. buy that American, and it will help you forget about the .35 Whelen. im sure she was perfect, but accuracy helps ease the pain..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a #1 in 7x57 that is deep/long throated. I have no accuracy issues with it using 120gr to 150gr bullets.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kitch,

I've only owned two 77 rifles, but really like them (3-pos safety Hawkeyes and MkII).

-Simple, more or less open trigger design
-Easy trigger to tune, as mentioned
-One-pc bolt
-Rugged investment cast extractor (although some say they are MIM now)

Compared to the Ruger, the newer Win 70 has an enclosed trigger that some don't like (crud gets inside or water freezes?), a bolt handle that is brazed (Echols & Pearce have written about handles falling off but I've never seen it), and a MIM extractor that some Win loonies replace with a machined extractor.

Note that the above only concerns the most extreme of rifle loonies crazy but you mentioned "virtues" so I thought I'd throw that out there.

Jason

edit to add - noticed that Coyote already covered most of this... oops!

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/21/14.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They should just cut to the chase and put on a spring steel extractor from the get go.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
I've had better than (30) 77's through the years,covering the lineage nicely from Round-tops on through. Never had a "bad" one.

Their Hornet chambers are sloppy and a punch to "K",a great move on several levels. Have been around some supposed "bad" ones,but it was always a fastener issue.

Am at ease in building upon 'em too and have had Customs on the lineage,again going back to Round-tops and on through.

Rugers will never be light,but they take a lick well and one never needs to give them a fret.

Boxer tested, boxer approved. That's good enough for me.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Maybe a M77 in 35 Whelen...can't think of anything more American.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you or your gunsmith goes to pull the barrel off the receiver and it strips the threads, Ruger WILL NOT warranty the action, nor the barrel.

I have owned more than a couple of dozen Rugers over the years, had one turned into a custom.

I am disgusted at Ruger's complete denial to back obvious piss poor quality control in the assembly of this rifle.

It says right in the Ruger Owner's Manual that if you take the rifle apart, it voids all warranty...they mean just that.

I called several of the best custom gunsmith's in the country to try and get them to chase the threads on the barrel and Action, and everyone of them said that this happened from time to time, and $500-600 to fix the issue.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! If you take the barrel off of a Ruger and it strips out, you have a Bolt, trigger, and stock left that is salvageable. The action can be Re threaded over size and a new custom barrel installed with over size threads to match...your only option. Mailing it back to Ruger is a waste of money.

If you want pictures of this butchered up action, PM me with your email address and I will gladly send them to you.

I was an avid Ruger fan up till I delt with my friends issues with Ruger's customer support. The custom gun builder that dealt with Ruger now has a new policy, "He will not touch another Ruger for any reason". If you think that I am pissed, you should talk to him.

Last edited by keith; 06/23/14.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Give it a rest dude, that smith could have screwed up the barrel.....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
NO WAY! The barrel was started into the action crooked at the factory, it got a big bugger on the lead thread, then stripped the threads as it was forced into the action.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Whatever, the warranty warns against unauthorized alterations. I've got a pile of good rifles and pistols by Ruger, it aint just luck.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
So do I and the friend that had this very expensive experience. My take on the Customer QC is that the bean counters are running the show.

So, our Rugers are good to go as long as you do not try and remove the barrel to have a muzzle break added or put on a custom barrel...when you take your chances.

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.