Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Was watching one of Lowlights videos and saw him use a table top jig for leveling his scope. It was made by Badger. I looked it up as I thought it was a pretty simple tool that could potentially save a little time and aggravation while setting a scope up. Found out the Badger jigs sell for upwards of $150. I couldn't believe the price...

Dug through the accumulation here and had all the major components minus the fasteners. One short trip to the Ace solved that problem. After about an hour and a half in the garage I came away with this for about a $20 investment.

It would be best to verify level with a plumb line as the turrets don't always sit square to the reticle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The base is made from a piece of what I believe is Corian (sp?) countertop material which had been gifted to me by my neighbor, a simple trailer leveling two way level (a bullseye level could easily be substituted) , a piece of blank stock Picatinny rail and various fasteners.

CR

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Very nice. Good inexpensive way to square your scope in the rings before mounting. Should save lots of time. Thanks for the pics.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Neat.

That application would have to be confined to scopes mounted on Picatinny rails.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ertical-reticle-instrument-prod6097.aspx

you should try one of these. it allows you to level your gun and scope. just look through the scope which you can see through the slot and level off a straight line, in my case its my neighbors back window frame on their house.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Check out the Reticle-Tru by Fire contributor, Hi_Vel. Not the cheapest, but one of the best ideas for alignment of scope to axis of the rifle. No need for levels, external reference points, etc.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8273094/1

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For an inexpensive alternative that doesn't require levels, external references and such, there's the Segway reticle leveler.

[Linked Image]

Add a rubber band and it's good to go.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems I remember something about those Segway levelers going pretty cheap.

Are they still available at the good price?

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They're back on the market, about twenty bucks.

They added a bubble level in the thing, though I don't know why. The theory of operation doesn't require one.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I think I'll pass on the plastic, rubberbands and guessing where the centerline of my rifle is.

CR

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The only thing of any importance is whether or not the reticle is square to the bore. No external references are necessary.

Of course, every system has built in assumptions. For example, you mentioned turret tops/caps not necessarily being square to the reticle.

I mount scopes with the "plastic and rubber bands" all the time. I've tested vertical tracking, cranking up and down between various elevations from dead on to +25 or so MOA, on a target set up with a vertical plumb line. With very accurate rifles (Rem 40X et cetera) the bullets make groups right on line where they should.

If I'm guessing, then I'm pretty damn good at it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
The only thing of any importance is whether or not the reticle is square to the bore. No external references are necessary.

Of course, every system has built in assumptions. For example, you mentioned turret tops/caps not necessarily being square to the reticle.

I mount scopes with the "plastic and rubber bands" all the time. I've tested vertical tracking, cranking up and down between various elevations from dead on to +25 or so MOA, on a target set up with a vertical plumb line. With very accurate rifles (Rem 40X et cetera) the bullets make groups right on line where they should.

If I'm guessing, then I'm pretty damn good at it.

Don't know if I'm good at it but use the Segway plastic and rubberband system also, with ok results.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm using the Reticle-Tru. Same principle as the Segway. With a rail, I use the feeler gauge method, but with two piece bases, the Reticle-Tru seems to work just as well. Not much guessing where the bore centerline is. Just get behind the rifle and put the point of the Reticle-Tru right in the center of the bore�

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 06/23/14. Reason: spelling

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Reticle Tru, from the way I've seen it explained and shown, is "the stuff" and is what I'd get if I go upmarket.

It's actually built on a better principle than the Segway, since it aims the vertical reticle bar directly at the bore centerline.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jerry needs to get to the point where he can invest in injection mold dies and crank them out in big numbers at low cost. Big initial outlay for the dies, much lower production costs over the long run.

CNC machining them from Delrin, a few at a time, is expensive.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is great at leveling the scope to the base but it assumes that they receiver holes are perfect also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF
Quality is always expensive and I doubt he could see the volume necessary to recoup the cost of dies and such. There just aren't enough shooters that care about such things. I'm grateful he makes them at all........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by reelman
This is great at leveling the scope to the base but it assumes that the receiver holes are perfect also.

Yes it does, as with other reticle alignment tools, for perfect alilgnment, reticle with action.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF
Quality is always expensive and I doubt he could see the volume necessary to recoup the cost of dies and such. There just aren't enough shooters that care about such things. I'm grateful he makes them at all........

I'm grateful, too.

That's a marketing question and I don't know the answer.

Jerry will have to study the market and make a business decision. It's such a good design, a major firearms retailer/supply house could pick it up and make it happen.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another thumbs up for the Segway. It serves a secondary purpose of showing other people at the range how far off their scope mounting jobs are.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just align your crosshairs in a imaginary line from the top straight through the centerline of your bolt.

Your done.

Nutting to buy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,253
Posts18,486,286
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.