Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I had the honor of spending the past weekend with some of the best people the Campfire has produced. HawkI, jailer, Mule Deer, Jeff, his 2 sons, Ben (mtcurman) and Nash and of course the indisputable and undeniable Campfire Celebrity, Travis. Everyone was truly a gentleman and contributed to the best weekend a guy could ever want in mixed company.

I have never been in better company than both Ben and Nash. Jeff has done a stellar job in raising 2 of the finest young men you could ever hope to meet. They were enthusiastic about any help around the camp. When I needed young knees to crawl into the back of my truck, Ben jumped right in, even with a sandwich still in his hand. Then he was considerate enough to ask if there was anything he was kneeling on that could break or get damaged.

I had them pull the steel targets out and we set them up for some Cowboy Action style shooting and they both took to it like a duck to water. Both took turns shooting and timing each other. I had my Colts there and they were polite enough to ask if they could handle and shoot them.

When we were in the killing fields, they both understood safe gun handling and they would not shoot in any direction without asking first to see if it was O.K. They spotted for us and didn't shoot near as much as we did, but I never saw that they weren't happy with the conditions and the amount of shooting that they did.

When we were in camp and talking guns/shooting, they were always considerate of whomever was talking, yet they were able to contribute with their own stories that were pertinent and well described.

I can't say enough about these 2 boys, Ben at 17 and Nash at 15, they were mature beyond their years yet they still had the youthful passion for shooting and having fun at no risk to anyone or anything. Tom and Huck couldn't have more adventures than these 2, I envy them for their future and the good times they have to look forward to. I would be proud to have them both as sons of my own.

Jeff and Ben, starting a fire with a chunk of wood called a Swedish Candle...

[Linked Image]

Ben and Nash (with the hat) burning up as much ammo as they could before dark...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Sounds like a great time, and 2 fine young men. But be honest, did Travis really behave?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Would "Swedish Candle" be pitch pine, perchance?

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

They spotted for us and didn't shoot near as much as we did, but I never saw that they weren't happy with the conditions and the amount of shooting that they did.

When we were in camp and talking guns/shooting, they were always considerate of whomever was talking, yet they were able to contribute with their own stories that were pertinent and well described.

They born with enough common sense and up-bringing to sit back and learn from old-timers....grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those 2 are 'livin the life'.....

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I'll second everything shrap has stated.

Jeff, their Dad, was such a humble yet happy guy. I could not ask for better campmates than that clan and especially the young men, because I think they reminded us of ourselves and how much we all enjoyed guns at that age.

Sam, don't kid yourself...Ben had to show me how to work an old Colt (never had my hands on one). I also got some fine tutelage from our mentor shrap: "It isn't a Ruger"!

Those two are our future; I'm damn proud of it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Would "Swedish Candle" be pitch pine, perchance?

Mark

Nope, that's Norwegian...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ben and Nash are probably Scandinavian coyotes.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great story. As a father I can hope that my kids have that type of impression on people - so far I've been lucky because they seem to (I'm sure it's their mothers influence).

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Awesome family. Looking forward to seeing them again.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Travis was a gentleman. Ha. I'm calling BS. I hope he gets to feeling better soon, though.

Last edited by eyeball; 06/24/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
No one said such...he was an abusive LEO.

I spent a few days with Federal and county LEO's, two teenagers, a gunwriter and Montana's Chuck Norris....if one reads the Hunter's Campfire much, I had survived the serpent's lair, but truth is often stranger than fiction here....

Had a blast, laughed and learned. Go figure!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Here's hoping you get well too, Hawk.

PS if you hunted with Col Travis I'd like to shake your hand some day.

Last edited by eyeball; 06/24/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am gonna send my kids to live with deflave....

if it isn't good for them, at least it will piss him off until he can put them back on the bus.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A feel good post shrapnel. Thanks for that. It sure is beautiful there.

LOL
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
His 17 wasn't as cool as the one I brought.....

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I am gonna send my kids to live with deflave....

if it isn't good for them, at least it will piss him off until he can put them back on the bus.

There are laws against child abuse. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No surprise here.
I've known for years that Ben and Nash were the real deal.
Shame that there aren't more like em.

Glad to see em back in MT where they belong.

J
J
Two super young men. They both show a passion for shooting and the outdoors like no other. It was almost more fun watching them them shoot than me shooting. Travis was very rude to shrapnl when shrap tried to explain the advanrage of heavy bullets and fast twist barrels. Otherwise travis pushed his pickeled eggs on us like a crack dealer. I never ate one but shrap ate more than paul newman in cool hand luke.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To bad America dont have more young men like these two! I enjoy Bens posts, keep liveing the dream guys, as age will be on you before you know it! And Thanks To the old Farts that showed them a Good time! Good Folks , Good Guns, and out West, cant get much better Im thinking!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,528
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.